Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am

Alright ladies and gentlemen. I had been pondering whether or not to do this. Well I had extra cash, came across some very, very well used seats out of a c5 z06. CHEAP. So I pulled the trigger. I installed them today but need to transfer all pics to my laptop to get it all posted.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Teching In

ok so these are the seats i did swap the passenger foam and leather over to the driver. yes i understand that there is the felt on the bolster. no i dont care. i was surprised that the seat backs are made of ??composite?? material and not steel. pretty cool. btw, when funds are more available i will be recovering black/tan and doing all new foam pieces.
Attached Thumbnails c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am-imag0034.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Teching In

ok so here we go. i cut the male connector off the trans am seat. i then cut the female connector off the vet seat and put the three negative wires together and the two roange wires together. then used 14 awg butt connectors and and shrink wrap to attach them to the ta connector. i wanted to have a quick disconnect for when i redo the seats. i was surprised that it actually worked. lol i used 3/8x3in bolts from ace along with corresponding nut, one washer and a lock washer.
Attached Thumbnails c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am-imag0048.jpg   c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am-imag0056.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Teching In

once i got done with the wiring i then plugged it in and adjusted the seat for bolt in. slid it all the way back and bolted inner front bracket down. the outside bracket is 1" exactly towards outside. tomorrow i will be cutting it an inch out of it and moving it inward then welding it back up when i cut down all the front ones. i then took a 3/8 drill bit and made the holes for each bracket. i brought the bolt up thru the floor plan and then realized 3" long bolts were overkill. but id rather have too long then too short. oh well. dropped the lock washer on the bolted it down. did the same for passenger side.

philips head screw driver
1/4 drive 13mm socket and wrench or 13mm ratchet wrench. i didnt have the ratchet wrench.
2x 14awg butt connectors
shrink tube
thread locker for preference
Attached Thumbnails c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am-imag0058.jpg   c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am-imag0060.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know they are different, but I would say that the stock TA seats offer more support than the C5 seats.

The C5 seats are notorious for not having any bolster support, so I'm curious why you would go through all the trouble?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Teching In

C5 seats offer ME what I feel is comfortable. Plus got them for cheap. I loved these seats in my wife's c5 vert and felt that it would be substantial upgrade, and I was right. After cutting down the front brackets and relocationg the outside bracket 1" inward on the fronts I am completely satisfied. Would the sport seats have been better? Sure. Do I need them for my application?? No. I'm short and fat. So I gotta squeeze into the bolstering that is there as it is. Plus they offer, for me, better support in the back rest. I drove 2000miles in two days, twice, with those t/a lumbar seats. I couldn't move hardly after I reached my destination.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Sorry took me so long to get back to this thread. Word of advise. To make life easier don't drill the holes for rear bracket until u figure out how you want it to be and check what needs adjusting. I say this because I did the opposite. Put them in. Check to see if you need to cut down brackets in front. Adjust their length then just do a quick tack weld and pull them out. Finish the beads. While the are out use a cutoff wheel to cut the old floor bolts for the factory seats in the rear only. Put seat back in car and hook up harness. Bolt the fronts down then make your holes for the rear. Now bolt them in. Adjust seat and enjoy your work.

Quick Reply: c5 standard seays installed in a 4th gen Trans Am