Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ideas for covering glue residue spot on passenger air bag cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ideas for covering glue residue spot on passenger air bag cover

Alright guys, so the prior owner of my car thought it would be a good idea to glue a gps mount to the dash. He chose the passenger side air bag cover. well, unfortunately you either replace the whole dash or live with it. Anybody have a good suggestion on something that could go over it? LOL. The spot is about a 2"x2" square. I will try to throw a picture up of it this evening. The rest of the dash is absolutely perfect as the car only had 35k miles on it when i got it.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A GPS mount would be a good starting point (you know, in case you want a GPS flying in the event of an accident).

I'd say you have to replace the panel or wrap the dash in pleather/alcantara.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a hard, epoxy type glue, scrape gently with a razor blade and see how it goes. Will most likely have to respray to hide the color difference. If soft or pliable, so to speak, take a petroleum based cleaner ie, wax and grease remover, "Goo Gone" type stuff and wet rag with it and keep area wet for a little while. Should soften up what's there. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thought i read where you couldnt just replace the panel?

Tried using a razor blad a little while back but no luck. Looks like gorilla glue or something. I really wonder about people sometimes. I may try to give it another shot with a razor blade and see if i can get it to starts flaking or shaving off. any chance SSEM makes a good match to the dash color? Could always lightly sand it off with some sand paper. Not aggressive but just enough to start dusting it off and then respray.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would try the "Goo Gone" method before trying to scrape/sand it off. As for removing the panel, I don't know if removing the individual airbag panel is possible, but I know removing the dashboard panel is...
Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I will give it a shot. Its a hard epoxy type material so i am thinking the goo gone wont work. Basically looks like an amber resin. LOL.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Instead of covering it, try hot water and a sponge to soften it up. It might come off
Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any good paint supply can make some up in SEM with the color code. Google interior trim color for said car blah blah blah. Something should come up for an aerosol spray.

Quick Reply: Ideas for covering glue residue spot on passenger air bag cover