Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

High Gloss Vinyl car wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Gloss Vinyl car wrap?

Anyone online fully wrap their cars in either High Gloss Vinyl or a Flat/Satin color?

Curious of how durable this stuff is in both extreme cold ( -25) and extreme hot ( 100+) weather.

How long until the edges begin to crack and peel?

Thinking of a full wrap on a White 1999 Z28 to a high gloss Black or Satin Black.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:20 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not have it plastidipped? It last for a long while, and if you get bored of the color, either peel it off or just paint a different color over it.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

That's another great option plus a lot cheaper

I like the idea of wrapping because it's more permanent and they claim 10 years durability with proper care.

I am really liking the white paint of my car actually, but any sort of dirt can be seen. I am thinking of a deep Raspberry color like a Vette with Chrome Z06 replicas or Satin Black with black rims with red accents.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Google 3m wrap colors, tons of options.

If your doing it yourself you'll save a ton. Around my area you can have a car painted for what it cost to get it wrapped.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 AM
Staging Lane

There's a place around the corner that does excellent work and some high profile cars ( Lambo's, GT-R's, Porsche's ) . I don't think I can find a good quality paint shop for $2,500 paint job lol

I know of the options, those two colors are the ones I have in mind at the moment.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am using Avery satin black for my Denali, already did the hood and fenders and I am taking things a step further.
I am removing all cladding and wrapping them seperate, using 3M primer on all edges and using edge sealer around the whole wrap.

I got quotes for $3000 to do my car and guarantee they wouldnt go as far as I am to make sure it last the 10 years.

I have about $600 with Avery vinyl, 3m edge sealer, 3M primer, hard rubber rollers, felt squeegees, Heat gun, wax and grease remover, Iso alcohol.

Watch all of the 3M Cookies videos on Youtube and do it yourself, its actually very fun and rewarding!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would advise against plasti-dipping your car. It looks cheap and shouldn't be done on a F-Body (my opinion of course). I think a high gloss vinyl wrap would look nice, if done right.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:17 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I would advise against plasti-dipping your car. It looks cheap and shouldn't be done on a F-Body (my opinion of course). I think a high gloss vinyl wrap would look nice, if done right.
There are some great products, and great dippers around my area, and with the release of the new glosses and pearl coats, you'd be surprised at how good it can look.

Let's just say I might be debuting a new look on my car in the near future.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
There are some great products, and great dippers around my area, and with the release of the new glosses and pearl coats, you'd be surprised at how good it can look.

Let's just say I might be debuting a new look on my car in the near future.
I guess I can only speak of the ones I've seen, which were not professionally done, nor where they done with the new glossifier they offer. I guess it's just the texture thing that bothers me more than anything else. How much do these places near you charge?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

A full dip usually runs for $500-700 depending on options and colors you pick.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

So you going to let us in on your possible plans, or make us wait and see?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd honestly like to see one done in the chrome looking wrap. Would be badass, probly get sick of it tho. I've seen a few wrapped in matte white that looked great.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDEP162
I'd honestly like to see one done in the chrome looking wrap. Would be badass, probly get sick of it tho. I've seen a few wrapped in matte white that looked great.
This one was on eBay:

1993 Chrome Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pontiac-Firebird-/321732515897?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ae8c09839&item=321732515897&nma=true&si=QGDiTLpq2lcgO2KVmsPQXmfRPho%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Old 04-28-2015, 06:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
So you going to let us in on your possible plans, or make us wait and see?
All in good time.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
I am using Avery satin black for my Denali, already did the hood and fenders and I am taking things a step further.
I am removing all cladding and wrapping them seperate, using 3M primer on all edges and using edge sealer around the whole wrap.

I got quotes for $3000 to do my car and guarantee they wouldnt go as far as I am to make sure it last the 10 years.

I have about $600 with Avery vinyl, 3m edge sealer, 3M primer, hard rubber rollers, felt squeegees, Heat gun, wax and grease remover, Iso alcohol.

Watch all of the 3M Cookies videos on Youtube and do it yourself, its actually very fun and rewarding!
I thought about it, but I am in a shop for 8-10 hours a day, I don't have much enthusiasm to tackle such a project like that much less do a good job at it after hours where I'd rather drink a few beers or vegetate in front of the tv..

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula
This one was on eBay:

1993 Chrome Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pontiac...p2047675.l2557

That looks Amazing.. I wish I could drive around in something like that, but I'd get sick of the attention. I prefer Satin Black or Flat black at least.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cant think like that man.
I am working on peoples **** cars all day for up to 11hrs and while this does take a toll on me especially trying to find time to do my own thing I still do... I feel like when someone says I cant do something it pushes me even harder.
People said I couldn't airbrush, I couldn't fix a car that came into the shop because its too difficult, I couldn't learn PDR... blah blah blah I just use this negative **** to push myself and show that anybody can learn a new skill and find time to make it happen.

I now have the whole sides and rear of the Denali stripped of all body cladding, weather stripping and handles. I would say with the amount of work involved this would easily run 4k for a wrap on this massive vehicle done right. I also like saving money any chance I can because I always make sure I am flat broke before my next check lol.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
You cant think like that man.
I am working on peoples **** cars all day for up to 11hrs and while this does take a toll on me especially trying to find time to do my own thing I still do... I feel like when someone says I cant do something it pushes me even harder.
People said I couldn't airbrush, I couldn't fix a car that came into the shop because its too difficult, I couldn't learn PDR... blah blah blah I just use this negative **** to push myself and show that anybody can learn a new skill and find time to make it happen.

I now have the whole sides and rear of the Denali stripped of all body cladding, weather stripping and handles. I would say with the amount of work involved this would easily run 4k for a wrap on this massive vehicle done right. I also like saving money any chance I can because I always make sure I am flat broke before my next check lol.
lol I was just talking crap

I am the same way actually, in that negativity pushes and motivates me while it may drain or depress the next person. I know all about obstacles and against all odds, trust me
Old 04-30-2015, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zombie_OverDrive907
I thought about it, but I am in a shop for 8-10 hours a day, I don't have much enthusiasm to tackle such a project like that much less do a good job at it after hours where I'd rather drink a few beers or vegetate in front of the tv..

That looks Amazing.. I wish I could drive around in something like that, but I'd get sick of the attention. I prefer Satin Black or Flat black at least.
Yeah it'd be fun for a day lol
Old 04-03-2016, 03:36 AM

With the new colored laminates that have recently come out you can chrome wrap several different colors know! Satin or Matt black wrap with Gloss wrap on certain areas would look good!!

The main reason(s) most color change Wraps are so popular these days is due to it preserving the vehicles original paint color. Plus the wrap will protect the paint. This is why you see mostly 6 figure super-cars being wrapped as opposed to painted because it helps preserve the vehicles value.

Popular option for anyone who leases their vehicle as well. And if you have the funds, after a month, year or two you can change the color/design with a new wrap!

Quick Reply: High Gloss Vinyl car wrap?