Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Firebird LED Fog Light Housings

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:15 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I need a shallow fog light for mine since I have the intercooler pushed forward... any suggestions guys?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jk...e-saw-1095853/
Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I need a shallow fog light for mine since I have the intercooler pushed forward... any suggestions guys?
judging by the pic in your sig, It looks like your fog light holes in your bumper are not quite as deep as they used to be.

Depending on depth I would wager to guess you could still use the factory housings you would just need a new way to mount them since the cross member looks like it is gone as well judging by what I can see in that pic

the biggest thing you will have to adjust to is that no matter what you choose the housing will likely set closer to the surface of the bumper.... might be cool if you could borrow a housing form something with more curve so it could follow the contour of the bumper should you have to make them set flush?

How much depth do you have available before you are on your intercooler?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
judging by the pic in your sig, It looks like your fog light holes in your bumper are not quite as deep as they used to be.

Depending on depth I would wager to guess you could still use the factory housings you would just need a new way to mount them since the cross member looks like it is gone as well judging by what I can see in that pic

the biggest thing you will have to adjust to is that no matter what you choose the housing will likely set closer to the surface of the bumper.... might be cool if you could borrow a housing form something with more curve so it could follow the contour of the bumper should you have to make them set flush?

How much depth do you have available before you are on your intercooler?
You are absolutely accurate on all your assessments. I have about 2.5 to 3" from the front of the bumper to the intercooler.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

according to the website the light housings that Vip1 used are 2.6 to the physical end of the housing, but the tab that is used for angle adjustment makes them about 3.4 inches deep. Assuming the measurements were in MM and my conversion was correct

judging by that pic again, it seems you may have some addition depth on the outer part of the opening where the end of you intercooler opens up to the dead space leading to the radiator support. Its possible you may be able to turn these on there side (which would make the adjustment of side to side as opposed to vertical) and secure the bracket to something in that area as well, but I wouldnt guarantee that assessment.

most of the fog lights that are aftermarkets should show physical dimensions if you start digging into other options that might fit your car. Than again if you dont mind cutting up something you just bought, it looks you could get some additional clearance if you ground down the raised venting on the housing (which is typically for ventalation in electronic components that generate high heat) but im not sure what help they would offer for the lights in that area anyway. You could gain ... well loose some depth of the actual housing especially if you were froggy enough to remove the to adjustment tab and come up with an alternative since you have to make a bracket reguardless.

food for thought, especially if you like this design
Old 06-01-2015, 07:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Yeah, I'm not opposed to having to work around and figure out what needs to be cut or ground on to get it to work right.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

I kind of figured haha
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

according to the website the light housings that Vip1 used are 2.6 to the physical end of the housing, but the tab that is used for angle adjustment makes them about 3.4 inches deep. Assuming the measurements were in MM and my conversion was correct
With the brackets I made the end result stuck out a little further than stock (maybe 1/2" more).

Its possible you may be able to turn these on there side (which would make the adjustment of side to side as opposed to vertical) and secure the bracket to something in that area as well, but I wouldnt guarantee that assessment.
You can't mount these like that because then the beam pattern would be vertical stripes instead instead of low and wide. That would be useless for you and blinding to other drivers.

You are absolutely accurate on all your assessments. I have about 2.5 to 3" from the front of the bumper to the intercooler.
If you put fog lights in those holes, you'll be blocking airflow to the intercooler. Are you directing air to it another way? Maybe replacing the front plate cover with a mesh?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Didn't realize they had a cutoff like a projector. Well that kind if nixes them unless there is a way to rotate the outer housing indolently if the internals.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Why do you want to rotate them? That won't change available clearance.

Also, any good fog light housing will have a low flat wide beam.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
I saw similar threads on Jeep forums about installing these on other model Jeeps. However, I didn't see any exact measurements about width and depth. For example, the 3 1/8" hole saw recommendation in that thread might be the rough size of the cup/body, but is that with or without the plastic tabs that stick out the sides? One thread they removed the tabs and then shimmed to fit the hole they cut. What is the width of the face since it is wider than the cup/body? My guess is that it may be close enough, but I'd like confirmation and I still need to know the depth.

Last edited by VIP1; 06-01-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by VIP1
If you put fog lights in those holes, you'll be blocking airflow to the intercooler. Are you directing air to it another way? Maybe replacing the front plate cover with a mesh?
I no longer run a front plate, so it gets the majority of the airflow through that opening. The fog light openings actually let in a very insignificant amount of airflow.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Why do you want to rotate them? That won't change available clearance.

Also, any good fog light housing will have a low flat wide beam.
all of my suggestions were based off of his bumper and modifications he has made behind it which share non of the stock mounting locations you have not to mention you have a formula bumper so they mount completely different as well as use a different bracket. In OE orientiation the TA foglights bracket doesnt set entirely behind the housing, instead it sets under it with a long tab which you use to bolt it to the impact bar. Using a similar bracket design rotating the mounting location on their side would allow for a bracket that could slip past the intercooler as it doesnt fill all the backspace behind the foglight opening. then it could be tied to whatever is left in that area since the main impact bar has been removed. At least that is the first place I would start. Some modifications to the housing would allow for less depth which is what I pointed out as well. All the above being done as you pointed out the cutoff would be vertical as opposed to horizontal, which is why I brought up rotating the internals to level the cutoff back out.

Does that explain what i was saying better?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw similar threads on Jeep forums about installing these on other model Jeeps. However, I didn't see any exact measurements about width and depth. For example, the 3 1/8" hole saw recommendation in that thread might be the rough size of the cup/body, but is that with or without the plastic tabs that stick out the sides? One thread they removed the tabs and then shimmed to fit the hole they cut. What is the width of the face since it is wider than the cup/body? My guess is that it may be close enough, but I'd like confirmation and I still need to know the depth.
Ah right, I didn't think about how you are mounting it vs how they are. I'll try to get my hands on one if you can't get the info soon.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I no longer run a front plate, so it gets the majority of the airflow through that opening. The fog light openings actually let in a very insignificant amount of airflow.

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ea&oe=56005472
Ah, I was looking at your sig pic that still had the license plate cover.
all of my suggestions were based off of his bumper and modifications he has made behind it which share non of the stock mounting locations
Yes, I realize that.

you have not to mention you have a formula bumper so they mount completely different as well as use a different bracket. In OE orientiation the TA foglights bracket doesnt set entirely behind the housing, instead it sets under it with a long tab which you use to bolt it to the impact bar.
The pics I posted are of a Formula. I didn't think I'd have to point that out.

From what I remember, although the mounting bracket is different, they both use the same Fog Light Housing.

Using a similar bracket design rotating the mounting location on their side would allow for a bracket that could slip past the intercooler as it doesnt fill all the backspace behind the foglight opening. then it could be tied to whatever is left in that area since the main impact bar has been removed. At least that is the first place I would start. Some modifications to the housing would allow for less depth which is what I pointed out as well.
Why still mount to the metal frame behind the bumper? Why not mount directly to the bumper? That is how the Formula does it. Make a bracket to hold the fog light and attach/mount the bracket to the bumper.

All the above being done as you pointed out the cutoff would be vertical as opposed to horizontal, which is why I brought up rotating the internals to level the cutoff back out.
Although potentially possible, that would be difficult at best. That still doesn't help with the mounting bracket problem.

Does that explain what i was saying better?
I followed.

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Ah right, I didn't think about how you are mounting it vs how they are. I'll try to get my hands on one if you can't get the info soon.
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

typo on my part about the formula bumper I ment to say "not tomention you have a formula". I edited it quite a few times so I didnt come across as a condescending *** but I think I failed.

i was trying to say they are different ( i used to have the firebird bumper on mine) . the TA bumper has nothing to mount the lights to its just a hole, the lights actually mount to the bottom of the impact bar, so when you pull the bumper off the fogs are still attached to the car. Not sure on the housings though i would assume they are the same, but the bracket isn't and instead of being behind the housing the bulk of it actually sets under the housing, which is where the idea to turn the housing came from as i think that would clear the intercooler, minus the depth issue

Last edited by blackbyrd; 06-02-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I understand what you are saying, I'm just pointing out that it may be possible to make something to attach to the bumper cover itself even though that isn't how it was from the factory.

Quick Reply: Firebird LED Fog Light Housings