Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Attempting to quiet the annoying rattles, clunks, and road noise these cars have!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attempting to quiet the annoying rattles, clunks, and road noise these cars have!

I am so use to driving newers vehicles now its hard for me to enjoy driving my 2002 trans am. Such much road noise, clunks, rattles etcs. I know part of it is just the design of the car. BUT i am just about to pull out the entire enterior and start layind down the following.

Sound deadener showdown CDT tiles
Second skin luxury liner pro
Overkill Pro (where luxery liner wont fit)

Also installing kee audio stage 4 speaker kit with 2 - JL audio 8" subwoofer in the back hatch.

Do you guys have anymore tips or ideas on while my interior is removed on making this car seem like a more high end ride?

All of this sound deadener and sound system is creeping up on $2,000 so i sure hope it is night and day difference.d

Last edited by josh4ku; 05-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:45 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds like u have a good plan. I think ull be happy. One tip I can add is the plastic panels inside, like around the hatch area when pitting back together add a small strip of dynamat or the foam along the seams where they overlap that will help on the creaks some too.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
I am so use to driving newers vehicles now its hard for me to enjoy driving my 2002 trans am. Such much road noise, clunks, rattles etcs. I know part of it is just the design of the car. BUT i am just about to pull out the entire enterior and start layind down the following.

Sound deadener showdown CDT tiles
Second skin luxury liner pro
Overkill Pro (where luxery liner wont fit)

Also installing kee audio stage 4 speaker kit with 2 - JL audio 8" subwoofer in the back hatch.

Do you guys have anymore tips or ideas on while my interior is removed on making this car seem like a more high end ride?

All of this sound deadener and sound system is creeping up on $2,000 so i sure hope it is night and day difference.d
What kind of shocks and suspension are you running?
You can eliminate most of the problems of rattles right at the butt by fixing what is letting them happen in the first place: improper suspension setup. Hitting a bump shouldn't let the vibrations get into the cabin in the first place to cause the rattles.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've matted my complete hatch area and up to the back of the front seats a few years ago. It's an improvement for sure. I need to pull the fronts out and continue it up to the firewall. My biggest rattle I have it where my exhaust contacts my Torque Arm bracket, sometimes. I'm going to mod that to give my exhaust more clearance and that will hopefully fix it. I've never tried to mat the doors, I'm sure that would help as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JDEP162
Sounds like u have a good plan. I think ull be happy. One tip I can add is the plastic panels inside, like around the hatch area when pitting back together add a small strip of dynamat or the foam along the seams where they overlap that will help on the creaks some too.
Thanks for that. I did also order a little bit of rammaudio ensolite peal and stick. I think that would work great for those pieces.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for that. I did also order a little bit of rammaudio ensolite peal and stick. I think that would work great for those pieces.
FYI....There are many OVERPRICED solutions like Dynomat, rammaudio, etc. but many use adhesive backed duct insulation. Check out the Menards link.

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing...4444948584.htm
Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

To add to my earlier tip about the seams and not forgetting the plastic interior pieces, I also took all the hatch panels, upper and lower, and the plastic door panels and lined them with dynamat too, over kill maybe, but Def solved some rattles especially rattles from speakers all around. Inside the sail panel speaker panel I lined with that, the ensolite type foam on the seems and it workers great. , and fwiw, in the suv, I have pair of 12s, horrible vibration and rattle from them. Did same to that hatch, plus, go ahead and laugh, an old memory foam mattress pad sliced like bread and basically "packed" the hatch in that vehicle, solid as a rock now. Good luck, it's a **** ton of work, but worth it in the end.
Last tips: u can buy good wallpaper rollers at Lowes for 4 bucks worth its weight in gold, and be careful as **** cutting the aluminum backing, once u start chopping it, gets sharp as a knife brother. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jd_amg
what kind of shocks and suspension are you running?
You can eliminate most of the problems of rattles right at the butt by fixing what is letting them happen in the first place: Improper suspension setup. Hitting a bump shouldn't let the vibrations get into the cabin in the first place to cause the rattles.
kyb shocks, stock springs, poly lower control arms, umi long torque arm. Its not just all of the clunks its the overall road noise also. Its like a tin can feeling compared to todays newer vehicles.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Subframe connectors will also help tighten up the car. I noticed a difference with mine installed.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Subframe connectors will also help tighten up the car. I noticed a difference with mine installed.
Those are in the future also.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't forget your doors. I add bitumen sound insulation plates into the doors. you can cut to fit and use a heat gun to form. I could only add this to the lower portion of the door ( access is restricted). It made a big improvement especially when closing the doors.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Second Skin deadener and decoupler in my doors and floor. I dropped ten decibels at freeway speed (75 mph). Good stuff with no smell.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

kyb shocks, stock springs, poly lower control arms, umi long torque arm.
You can definitely do better in terms of ride than KYBs. Poly LCAs are doing you no favors as well, for best ride I would run rubber 1LE bushing on stock LCAs. But if you must have aftermarket LCAs then I would get rotojoint LCAs, they won't bind like poly.
Its not just all of the clunks its the overall road noise also. Its like a tin can feeling compared to todays newer vehicles.
Agreed. I did sound deadening material a little while back and it made quite the difference, especially in the hatch area.
As other have said make sure you cover the insides of doors too, that makes a huge difference. I covered the inside of all the plastic panels and it made them feel quite a bit more sturdy and less cheap.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

I just ordered the bmr lca with there rubber bushings. And just installed a new moog panhard bar stock style with there nice rubber bushings and replaced my solid end bar and wow that alone made a big difference.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

just started laying the sound deadener showdown cld tiles. trying to cover all the main areas. Sorry the picture quality is low, and they upload sidways.
Attached Thumbnails Attempting to quiet the annoying rattles, clunks, and road noise these cars have!-2.jpg   Attempting to quiet the annoying rattles, clunks, and road noise these cars have!-3.jpg   Attempting to quiet the annoying rattles, clunks, and road noise these cars have!-4.jpg   Attempting to quiet the annoying rattles, clunks, and road noise these cars have!-1.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Dont forget the underside of the roof!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Dont forget the underside of the roof!
I have t tops so there isn't a lot of roof but was thinking about doing that also if I have extra.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have some FatMat I will be laying down in my car soon, are there any specific area's to hit on doors that make best improvements?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just started laying the sound deadener showdown cld tiles. trying to cover all the main areas. Sorry the picture quality is low, and they upload sidways.
Selective placement of the mats. I went nuts covering everything I could when I did the hatch and up to the backs of the front seat. What I purchased wasn't from a site sponsor so I won't say who, but it covers 34.8sq ft. currently on sale for $99.89. If you'd like to know just Pm me. Looking good though.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Ive been installing the sound deadener showdown. I hit about 60-70% of the areas. Then went with luxury liner pro on all the flat surfaces, this stuff doesn't not work well in most verticial areas and a lot of even horizontal areas in these cars because there isn't a lot of flat surfaces. Its really thick and doesn't form to extreme angles at all. The overkill pro is glue on also. Not real impressed with that aspect of it. I did end up ordering some ensolite foam from raamaudio. I love this stuff, it is only 1/8" thick but its peel and stick and it is waaaay easier to cover 100% of the surface than the second skin audio stuff.

Quick Reply: Attempting to quiet the annoying rattles, clunks, and road noise these cars have!