Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking For Some Custom Gauge Needles

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Some Custom Gauge Needles

I'm looking for some custom Guage needles, similar to the ones that were sold be 6LE at one point. Unfortunately for me, they no longer carry the needles so I'm stuck with my stock orange ones right now. I was told I could paint some from a Chevy Venture with a special kind of paint but I can't seem to find just the needles from a Venture. Does anybody know where I would be able to find some custom needles that would work with my TAs Cluster? I seen some by a company that mainly does custom truck cluster work and according to them, they have a 7 piece needle kit that'll work with my car but I don't want to jump the gun and buy them if they aren't gonna work for me. I'm wanting either blue or white needles by the way. So if I could find 6 Chevy Venture needles, that would be perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

You need 2 sets of venture needles, they came in white and orange. You need to look for the white ones. If you can't find just the needles locally, you can find the whole venture clusters for as low as $25. Two whole clusters and you have enough needles cheaper than 6LE sold a set for. From there you can paint them if you want with tamiya polycarbonate paint if you want to change color.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

I don't reckon there is any way to go about just getting the needles from the venture is there? Lol. It's always got to be a PITA to do somethings. Oh well, I'll probably break down and end up getting them and doing that.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Some junkyards have pick a part bins and you might be able to find just the needles. My main point was that you could buy a whole gauge cluster for $25 maybe less if you find it locally. Buying two whole clusters would give you the 6 needles you need and it would be cheaper than 6LE charged for a set anyway. I haven't done it yet myself but I figured destroying a cluster for the needles would be easy and maybe fun.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If you go with the Venture needles, make sure they are from a cluster that had a Tach. The non tach clusters will leave you only being able to use the speedo needle. A Oldsmobile Silhouette will have the same needles as well. Also make sure they are the thin needles like the f-cars. Im not sure what year GM changed the style. I think 2000 and newer have the thin needles and 99-older clusters have fatter needles that werent like ours.

You need to swap the cap/stems as well. On the venture the stems are longer. This pics shows the differences.
Name:  needle1_zpsa025eec3.jpg
Views: 3889
Size:  54.9 KB

Heres a little motivation for ya. Mine completed needles. I used Tamiya PS-39 transparent blue. Followed by a clearcoat, then wet sanded and buffed.
Name:  needles3_zps8bd7399b.jpg
Views: 4001
Size:  23.2 KB
Old 07-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mac62989
Some junkyards have pick a part bins and you might be able to find just the needles. My main point was that you could buy a whole gauge cluster for $25 maybe less if you find it locally. Buying two whole clusters would give you the 6 needles you need and it would be cheaper than 6LE charged for a set anyway. I haven't done it yet myself but I figured destroying a cluster for the needles would be easy and maybe fun.
I'm just kinda too lazy to go to a junk yard and rip them out, haha. But I guess I may have to bite the bullet and go for it.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT4vert
If you go with the Venture needles, make sure they are from a cluster that had a Tach. The non tach clusters will leave you only being able to use the speedo needle. A Oldsmobile Silhouette will have the same needles as well. Also make sure they are the thin needles like the f-cars. Im not sure what year GM changed the style. I think 2000 and newer have the thin needles and 99-older clusters have fatter needles that werent like ours.

You need to swap the cap/stems as well. On the venture the stems are longer. This pics shows the differences.

Heres a little motivation for ya. Mine completed needles. I used Tamiya PS-39 transparent blue. Followed by a clearcoat, then wet sanded and buffed.
You are the main reason I knew about the venture needles, lol. And they look awesome! I can't get my cluster done the way I want it though until I get my cluster recalibrate to 200MPH. And throw the new gauges on. I know it's gonna look badass. I just can't decide between Blue or White Needles. The new Gauge cluster is blue and it's gonna light up blue. But I don't know if blue would look better on the needles or white. But I could always try the white at first then if I don't like it, do it blue. Just hard to decide, haha. Also, when you mention the tach on the venture cluster, is it the one with the four needles? Not the three, correct?

Last edited by Luckyzach; 07-30-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Right, the 4 needle cluster. You cant use the tach needle but that cluster has the correct size auxilary needles. I would try white first. Itd be a nice contrast.

If you paint, an easy way to stand them up is run a zip tie through the holes.
Name:  A950DE07-C99B-4A76-98ED-301DAF9C897C_zpsyf2f0rip.jpg
Views: 3950
Size:  104.7 KB
Old 07-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Right, the 4 needle cluster. You cant use the tach needle but that cluster has the correct size auxilary needles. I would try white first. Itd be a nice contrast.

If you paint, an easy way to stand them up is run a zip tie through the holes.
So I would need to use two speedometer needles and four auxiliary needles? That doesn't seem too bad. Now it's just finding them for cheap, lol.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Bump, what's the best way to remove the needles from the caps?
Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyzach
I'm looking for some custom Guage needles, similar to the ones that were sold be 6LE at one point. Unfortunately for me, they no longer carry the needles so I'm stuck with my stock orange ones right now. I was told I could paint some from a Chevy Venture with a special kind of paint but I can't seem to find just the needles from a Venture. Does anybody know where I would be able to find some custom needles that would work with my TAs Cluster? I seen some by a company that mainly does custom truck cluster work and according to them, they have a 7 piece needle kit that'll work with my car but I don't want to jump the gun and buy them if they aren't gonna work for me. I'm wanting either blue or white needles by the way. So if I could find 6 Chevy Venture needles, that would be perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sent you a PM
Old 03-09-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Bump, what's the best way to remove the needles from the caps?
?????
Old 03-15-2018, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cap just rests on the needle. Now to take the needle off the cluster, use a kitchen fork and pull up lightly
Old 03-15-2018, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Viper
Cap just rests on the needle.
LT4vert got back to me. Here is the proper procedure for removing the needles from the cap:

On the back of the needles you will see what look like circles in color of cap. There's 2, 1 at each side. It is a plastic weld. You need to take a really sharp exacto knife and shear off the top surface of the plastic weld. Its very thin so its not that hard to shear off the top of the weld. If that doesn't make sense imagine a common house nail, your shearing off the head of the nail. When that's done you can wiggle the needle bodies out of the caps. To retain the needle bodies once re-installed, I just put a very small dab of clear epoxy where the plastic weld used to be.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, sorry!

Quick Reply: Looking For Some Custom Gauge Needles