Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Professional" paint correction

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Any of you guys know if Carpro Elixir can be used on a freshly coated car (within a hour or after 24 hrs)
like reload can?
I am sure it will be fine if you chose to do so. I have not heard directly from a CarPro rep saying it can not be done. I would probably let it it sit for 24 hours before the coating is topped as Elixir does contain Ech20 which is a waterless wash.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
I am sure it will be fine if you chose to do so. I have not heard directly from a CarPro rep saying it can not be done. I would probably let it it sit for 24 hours before the coating is topped as Elixir does contain Ech20 which is a waterless wash.
Thanks much, just saw a review ya did on Autopia.

Ya last season I tried Ech2o/reload on a freshly coated vehicle about 10 hours later and it was definitely to soon.

Im not a member on Autopia but how is it? Much activity on that forum?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Why is it called paint correction when they never touch the paint....lol
Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

The Guz do you have any experience with Carpro ClearCut. Think im going to give it a try with Reflect.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

The Guz do you have any experience with Carpro ClearCut. Think im going to give it a try with Reflect.
Both are great. I use both of them a lot.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Both are great. I use both of them a lot.
Good deal, I'm very excited to try the Clear cut.

Would you say it's your go to?

Right now I use a lot of 3m products but I just came upon the Carpro Clearcut and boy it looks like it works really well. I will probably skip the Reflect and go with Essence as my finish.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Enjoy seeing your guys work!! Had windows tinted on wife’s 2019 VW GLI today and was asked if I’d be interested in doing a protective wrap? On the bumper, hood, a-pillars, mirrors, and headlights. The brand was http://premiumshield.com was quoted like $1,200 and I think it was the Elite series of it. What’s your guys experience with something like this. I’m worried that I will lose that polished waxed shine. Maybe I’m wrong but I also think he said that he polishes in order to prep for it. Its a lot of money so not sure if it’s worth it. The color is a GLI exclusive Pure Grey or at least that’s what the sales manager said.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by neblackshirts
Enjoy seeing your guys work!! Had windows tinted on wife’s 2019 VW GLI today and was asked if I’d be interested in doing a protective wrap? On the bumper, hood, a-pillars, mirrors, and headlights. The brand was http://premiumshield.com was quoted like $1,200 and I think it was the Elite series of it. What’s your guys experience with something like this. I’m worried that I will lose that polished waxed shine. Maybe I’m wrong but I also think he said that he polishes in order to prep for it. Its a lot of money so not sure if it’s worth it. The color is a GLI exclusive Pure Grey or at least that’s what the sales manager said.
I have zero experience applying it but have worked on cars that have the clear protective vinyl on it.
I will go over it with my final polish and do coat the vinyl. In my experience they have plenty of gloss to them especially after coated and in general is difficult to pick up where the vinyl stops.

You will not lose the gloss/ waxed look with the clear vinyl wrap.

Here are two vehicles I did (think I posted them earlier in this thread) and both the vehicle have clear vinyl on half the front of the front clip to about the 12 o'clock position of the front tire and both are wrapped from the rockers to about12 inches up and it's hard to pick it up in person.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah this brand local detailed uses has a lifetime warranty he mentioned I’m sure it’s got some fine print but seems to be pretty good compared to others. Was mainly worried about losing any gloss. Might be worth investing in but still $1200 is a chunk. He did quote me $750 for ceramic coating but was just on body not including glass or windows.

That blue looks awesome, do you layer to get that pop looks crazy in pictures.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

No, I apply 1 coat of Cquartz Uk.

A lot of it is the work before the coating.
Removing all imperfections and then the important part of polishing/ jewling the clear to perfect clarity.
Finessing the clear down to hologram/ swirl/ haze free.

On some vehicles the person may have got a swirl/ hologram free finish but the clear will have a slight haze to it.
Or on black vehicles you will see when someone did a correction but it will have a very slight "chalky" appearance.

Knowing how to jewel it down to absolute clarity will yield absolutley amazing results when it comes time for whatever product you're using to protect (wax/ sealant/ ceramic)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks much, just saw a review ya did on Autopia.

Ya last season I tried Ech2o/reload on a freshly coated vehicle about 10 hours later and it was definitely to soon.

Im not a member on Autopia but how is it? Much activity on that forum?
Autopia is a nice forum to be on. A little more open when it comes to talking about products not sold directly through them. Just no outside links to competitors sites. They have a good member base. You will often find the same members on Autopia and Autogeek. Both good forums to be on.

CarPro also has their own forum. Not as much traffic as the other two.

I do own Clear Cut. It is a good compound. Good cut and good finish. The only downside for me is the dusting. It does it's work fast so no need to work it more than 2-3 passes. Reflect is the same. I am not sure if you use Essence at all but that has been my go to lately when using any cquartz coating.

My go to compound at the moment is Sonax Cut Max. No dusting and a long working time. 3D ACA compound is nice as well. Two good compounds.

Yeah this brand local detailed uses has a lifetime warranty he mentioned I’m sure it’s got some fine print but seems to be pretty good compared to others. Was mainly worried about losing any gloss. Might be worth investing in but still $1200 is a chunk. He did quote me $750 for ceramic coating but was just on body not including glass or windows.

The labor involved in applying PPF is what you are paying for. It is not an easy task. If you are worried about rock chips then it would be worth the investment.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Guz
I am not sure if you use Essence at all but that has been my go to lately when using any cquartz coating.
Ya I use essence. Big fan of it. Finishes down really nice and I like how ceramics take to it.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Using Carpro ClearCut today for the first time. My initial thoughts so far is this stuff is amazing.
Im testing it on my Trans Am so it was not bad to begin with but I was starting to get fine superficial scratches due to people brushing against it (myself included) at car shows and what not.

I know my spoiler needs a little lovin so I will try and capture a before and after picture and post later.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Love CarPro ClearCut. Definitely my new go to. Wipes scratches clear out and finishes down incredibly nice.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Have any of you guys used the FLEX XFE15 150 Cordless Orbital ?

If so what are your thoughts on it?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was your method? Now wipes scratches? Or did the swirls actually get removed?
Old 08-06-2019, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
What was your method? Now wipes scratches? Or did the swirls actually get removed?
Now wipes scratches?

On my car I used a fine polishing pad with the clear cut and a da. It still cuts really nice and finishes down way nice. Followed that up with essence and a fine polishing pad.

Clear cut cuts even better with a more aggressive pad but it will leave some pretty good marring depending how aggressive you get, sometimes you don't have a choice.

On 90% of the vehicles I do I use a rotary for the first step and da for the final pass.

I did a Hell Cat a few weeks ago using Clearcut/rotary and essence/d.a.
Below are pictures of the damage and after pictures.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

So recently, (3 months ago) I decided to go for it and left my career of 18 years and start my own small business in paint correction/ ceramic coating and removal of spot defects. I hated the career I was in and as of now im much happier. Figured I would share some work I have done recently.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Now wipes scratches?

On my car I used a fine polishing pad with the clear cut and a da. It still cuts really nice and finishes down way nice. Followed that up with essence and a fine polishing pad.

Clear cut cuts even better with a more aggressive pad but it will leave some pretty good marring depending how aggressive you get, sometimes you don't have a choice.

On 90% of the vehicles I do I use a rotary for the first step and da for the final pass.

I did a Hell Cat a few weeks ago using Clearcut/rotary and essence/d.a.
Below are pictures of the damage and after pictures.

Damn good work. So....Carpro Essence first.......then Essence Pro.

How long will that sealant last?
Old 09-25-2019, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stilealive
Damn good work. So....Carpro Essence first.......then Essence Pro.

How long will that sealant last?
I have not heard of Essence Pro.

As far as steps, you said Essence first.... Essence is always my last step and have yet to do a job where essence alone would correct enough. Albeit it does correct a bit, it is a very fine polish that will not correct the majority of paint damage.

I have many compounds and polishes with many many many different pads along with using a rotary, da and ibrid nano. Every job calls for a different approach.

Quick Reply: "Professional" paint correction