Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

"Professional" paint correction

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020 | 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by neblackshirts
What's everyone's opinion on Spray coatings like this Uber Ceramic spray? https://www.autogeek.net/wg-uber-cer...y-coating.html

Is this more of a maintenance to the actual ceramic coats like mentioned before in this thread or more of a fancy quick detail spray. The market has absolutely exploded on the detail market that I can guarantee lots of companies are making big profits off of confusing the average person with so many names and options available. Love seeing everyone's work by the way, nothing like a fully detailed car reflect and shine.
This would be more directed at The Guz for my spray based coatings are limited. With that said I personally would not use it on a customer's car with the expectation of it lasting as long or protecting as well as the traditional coatings/ application method's/ flash times. The sprays just don't last long.

Old 03-20-2020 | 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

The sprays don't last as long because they don't actually physically and chemically bond to the paint like an actual coating does.

I use CP's Reload and love it, but even though it does have Si02 in it, it's not the same. Us professionals know this, but unfortunately most don't and believe it's the same thing as a coating. It's not.

Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place and work as intended. Depending on which coating I apply, I will top it with Reload. Reload helps against water spotting which is the crux of any coating.
Old 03-20-2020 | 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

What's everyone's opinion on Spray coatings like this Uber Ceramic spray? https://www.autogeek.net/wg-uber-cer...y-coating.html

Is this more of a maintenance to the actual ceramic coats like mentioned before in this thread or more of a fancy quick detail spray. The market has absolutely exploded on the detail market that I can guarantee lots of companies are making big profits off of confusing the average person with so many names and options available. Love seeing everyone's work by the way, nothing like a fully detailed car reflect and shine.
Spray coatings do not last as long due to the lack of resins and solids within the product compared to the traditional coating. Gyeon CanCoat is an exception as it has a high solid content within the resin. It is a great product. I suspect Autogeek developed this product to try and compete with CanCoat in the coating lite market. These type of products can be used to "rejuvenate" a base layer coating. Or they can be used as a stand alone as SiO2 is more durable compared to a synthetic polymer based product. These spray "coatings" are aimed for ease of use.

I have not used this Wolfgang product so I can not comment on how it behaves or how well it performs.

One thing to remember is that Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Blackfire, DP Detailing are Autogeek house brands and they are often rebranded within another brand. These are mostly aimed for ease of use.

Old 03-30-2020 | 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Rupes ibrid paid for itself on this one. Love that tool.

Old 03-30-2020 | 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice job on the harley.

Speaking of the Rupes iBrid, here is a video I just made polishing and protecting interior piano trim.

Old 04-28-2020 | 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Photo bump
2017 Nissan Maxima that saw many many drive through car washes with a towel dry at the end

Old 04-29-2020 | 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Photo bump
2017 Nissan Maxima that saw many many drive through car washes with a towel dry at the end

That's how my used daily looks with A bunch of swirls. I don't like it and need to fix it. I'm just nervous about trying to fix it myself without damaging the paint even more.
Great job by the way!
Old 06-16-2020 | 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question for the pros on here, what are you go to for micro fiber towels. Looking for a great brand to go with for wiping off polishes, waxes, and detail mists. The stuff I get now from auto geeks seems to leave little fibers behind that are noticeable especially on glass.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2020 | 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Question for the pros on here, what are you go to for micro fiber towels. Looking for a great brand to go with for wiping off polishes, waxes, and detail mists. The stuff I get now from auto geeks seems to leave little fibers behind that are noticeable especially on glass.

Thanks
I order mine from the Rag Company.
Edgeless 300 gsm microfibers. They leave zero lint behind.
https://www.theragcompany.com/edgele...r-terry-towel/
Old 06-17-2020 | 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I order mine from the Rag Company.
Edgeless 300 gsm microfibers. They leave zero lint behind.
https://www.theragcompany.com/edgele...r-terry-towel/
Thanks going to ordering some today, also might be stupid question but does anyone layer with ceramic coating? Meaning do you do all the prep then a sealant then ceramic then wax? Or just prep work do a correction on the paint and straight to ceramic and nothing else?
Old 06-17-2020 | 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Just ceramic, it will only bond to a grease, silicone free surface. If you applied a wax, the coating would not bond.

As far as waxing over coating..... it would be very unnecessary and defeat the purpose of coating. IF and probably minimal the wax were to bond to the coating you would be loosing all the good characteristics of the coating as in water beading, hydrophobics, protection, gloss ect.
Old 06-17-2020 | 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just ceramic, it will only bond to a grease, silicone free surface. If you applied a wax, the coating would not bond.

As far as waxing over coating..... it would be very unnecessary and defeat the purpose of coating. IF and probably minimal the wax were to bond to the coating you would be loosing all the good characteristics of the coating as in water beading, hydrophobics, protection, gloss ect.
Makes sense, yeah I guess ceramic offers that layered deep gloss without all the old school ways now days. Plus the added protection with what ceramic offers over waxes and sealants.
Old 06-17-2020 | 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

This is the car from post #146. Client wanted it a badge removed and a good wash. This is me drying it with water sheeting.

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 06-17-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2020 | 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you apply the coating on glass also or use a specific ceramic coating for the glass.

This is the car from post #147. Client wanted it a badge removed and a good wash. This is me drying it with water sheeting.
https://youtu.be/qORjjl1CZ2U

Old 06-17-2020 | 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Do you apply the coating on glass also or use a specific ceramic coating for the glass.
I do on my Trans Am but I don't have whippers on. Ceramics can cause whipper chatter so I will use Carpro Gliss coating or reload on customer glass.

There are glass dedicated coatings.
The following users liked this post:
99Silver6.0 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020 | 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Cquartz has a specific coating for glass.

Old 06-19-2020 | 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks going to ordering some today, also might be stupid question but does anyone layer with ceramic coating? Meaning do you do all the prep then a sealant then ceramic then wax? Or just prep work do a correction on the paint and straight to ceramic and nothing else?
A coating can not be applied over a wax or sealant. It needs to bond to the paint after a prep wipe with one of the various panel wipes on the market. IPA is often used but it does not have good lubrication and it can swell the paint. These panel preps remove any polishing oils from the surface.

Nobody is saying not to apply a wax over a coating, you technically can. But you have negated all of the properties the coatings offers. Self cleaning as one of the most important.

As far as layering, follow the manufacturers recommendations when applying the coating.

A paint coating does better on paint than on glass. Well on some glass it is fine. A paint coating will not hold up to wiper abrasion that well compared to a dedicated glass coating. A paint coating will do just fine on the side glass and rear glass.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Cquartz has a specific coating for glass.
Flybyforte is a nice dedicated glass coating. One of my favorites to use.
Old 06-29-2020 | 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Tried Kamikaze Zipang for the first time on a blue Gt350. The polishing obviously has a lot to do with clarity and looks but I really love this coating.....a lot ! Definitely pricey but a amazing product.

Old 06-30-2020 | 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tried Kamikaze Zipang for the first time on a blue Gt350. The polishing obviously has a lot to do with clarity and looks but I really love this coating.....a lot ! Definitely pricey but a amazing product.

Holy smokes that does look amazing! Curious what product/steps were done previously to achieve this, besides skill lol. Favorite pics are the two from the top shows how perfect the paint looks.
Old 06-30-2020 | 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man I can’t help but wonder if you were in Nebraska just how good you could make the Voodoo Blue on my Tundra pop.

Quick Reply: "Professional" paint correction