Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

"Professional" paint correction

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I have not heard of Essence Pro.

As far as steps, you said Essence first.... Essence is always my last step and have yet to do a job where essence alone would correct enough. Albeit it does correct a bit, it is a very fine polish that will not correct the majority of paint damage.

I have many compounds and polishes with many many many different pads along with using a rotary, da and ibrid nano. Every job calls for a different approach.
Oops, I meant Essence Plus.........

As a complete novice at this.....I'm just gonna try Victory Nano Polish an Sealant (AIO)......followed by their Nano Sealant.

Question:
If I do the Victory AIO with the DA buffer.....can I use Meguiars Ultimate Wax with the DA buffer also to apply it. Or better to use my big orbital buffer?

If I lived near you I would just give it to you for the full detail.
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by stilealive
Oops, I meant Essence Plus.........

As a complete novice at this.....I'm just gonna try Victory Nano Polish an Sealant (AIO)......followed by their Nano Sealant.

Question:
If I do the Victory AIO with the DA buffer.....can I use Meguiars Ultimate Wax with the DA buffer also to apply it. Or better to use my big orbital buffer?

If I lived near you I would just give it to you for the full detail.
Thanks.
Yup, you must certainly can use your da to apply and also remove the ultimate wax with very good results. I would not use that big orbital thing at all.

If you have a harbor freight by you they have 6in. black pads that will work very good for that application.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts

Hey ,98cayennT/a just a side note, congratulations on taking a big step, too be your own boss . I don't post that often , but see some over your work. And I must say with quality like that , your business should be successful!!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kjduvall
Hey ,98cayennT/a just a side note, congratulations on taking a big step, too be your own boss . I don't post that often , but see some over your work. And I must say with quality like that , your business should be successful!!
Thanks much, I'm definitely enjoying EVERYTHING so much more.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:58 PM
Banned

Thanks much, I'm definitely enjoying EVERYTHING so much more.
You would make an amazing amount of money here. There's a huge need for quality detailers.

Hell, I do pretty well on my Trans Am and our Porsche Macan S.....and I have people in my neighborhood paying $200-$300 just to wash and wax their cars. This is what they all tell me. They are all rich people, but still, thats a lot of cash. They stop and ask me what I charge every time I'm outside detailing my cars. They say the professional shops suck. $300-$300 for a basic wash an wax is a lot of money in my opinion.

I don't detail other peoples cars but it would be easy to do 2-3 cars per day, every day. Thats huge money.....
Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

Yup, you must certainly can use your da to apply and also remove the ultimate wax with very good results. I would not use that big orbital thing at all.

If you have a harbor freight by you they have 6in. black pads that will work very good for that application.
Yes, the Harbor Freight DA is the one I'm picking up. I'll get the black pads......

I'll do the Victory....then either Meguiars or thee Victory Sealant.

I can't screw up my clear coat....with the DA, right? Just light pressure and keep it moving.....
Old 09-25-2019, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stilealive
Yes, the Harbor Freight DA is the one I'm picking up. I'll get the black pads......

I'll do the Victory....then either Meguiars or thee Victory Sealant.

I can't screw up my clear coat....with the DA, right? Just light pressure and keep it moving.....
I have a couple da's that I use and actually use the harbor freight quite often. I don't use there pads except for the black one with my rotary but use the blue pad for your polish and use the black one to apply and remove your sealant.

With a da you don't necessarily need to keep light pressure or keep it moving..... there are some jobs that I apply quite a bit of pressure on my final step.

A good starting point would be set that da around speed 3.5. and make slow steady even passes. You are not going to do any damage with any of the materials or equipment you listed. Another thing is the backing plate on the harbor freight da is junk, crooked shaft usually so if it causes ya issues you might need to order one. The harbor freight machine itself is actually quite nice/ works very well and has a long throw.
Any questions once ya get started feel free to ask away. The products and materials available are endless if you want to get more involved
Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am too lazy so a link will have to do for a recent project of a 97 Camaro Z28.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...back-life.html
Old 12-14-2019, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is another one

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...er-rs-awd.html
Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Guz
That blazer has to look damn sharp in the sun .

I have also ran into a couple vehicles that have etched water spots that just won't come out, it's so irritating ! It's like how in the **** did this get etched this bad ! Lol

I have been using essence on glass topped with gliss and really like that combo on glass myself.

Your lucky, you get to polish year round, it's winter here so I just have to live with looking stuff up online. In doing searches and looking at other people's work I come upon a lot of your work.

Automotive detailing has to be pretty big in California. I was recently in California to pick up that tri color cts-v coupe on the previous page and we were stuck in traffic on the 405 and all the vehicles looked liked they had work done. The black Mercedes, BMW's and Lexus are the ones that jumped out. Here in Minnesota all those would have been swirl ridden messes lol. Guess it makes sense tho since you guys don't have awful salt and sand to deal with.

I recently bought the rupes ibrid myself and absolutley love it. It really is a nice piece of equipment. Polishing life is so much nicer.

Keep the work coming, I love looking at it.
The following users liked this post:
The Guz (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

That blazer has to look damn sharp in the sun .

I have also ran into a couple vehicles that have etched water spots that just won't come out, it's so irritating ! It's like how in the **** did this get etched this bad ! Lol

I have been using essence on glass topped with gliss and really like that combo on glass myself.

Your lucky, you get to polish year round, it's winter here so I just have to live with looking stuff up online. In doing searches and looking at other people's work I come upon a lot of your work.

Automotive detailing has to be pretty big in California. I was recently in California to pick up that tri color cts-v coupe on the previous page and we were stuck in traffic on the 405 and all the vehicles looked liked they had work done. The black Mercedes, BMW's and Lexus are the ones that jumped out. Here in Minnesota all those would have been swirl ridden messes lol. Guess it makes sense tho since you guys don't have awful salt and sand to deal with.

I recently bought the rupes ibrid myself and absolutley love it. It really is a nice piece of equipment. Polishing life is so much nicer.

Keep the work coming, I love looking at it.
Thanks. The blazer looked really good in the sun. They are both happy with it. I am also trying a new glass coating and one of them old me that they could not figure out why the glass was beading and the water flying off it. Then they remembered that I put something on the glass. So they were impressed that there was no need to use the wipers driving in the rain a few weeks ago.

It is unfortunate about the water spots. Under the right light they can be seen.

The weather is one benefit of living here.

You will enjoy the ibrid. It is a great tool. I don't do any polishing by hand these days unless I really have to.

Have you tried cquartz lite? It is a nice entry level coating.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Have you tried cquartz lite? It is a nice entry level coating.
No I have not tried it. I saw ya using it on the blazer and was going to ask about it. Im assuming you like it......
Every time I put a order in at carpro I have my finger on the Lite but have yet to grab it but definitely will. Im assuming it's really nice to work with? Like gliss.....I find gliss to be amazing to work with and a breeze to apply. That's definitely a good product.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:01 AM
TECH Junkie

No I have not tried it. I saw ya using it on the blazer and was going to ask about it. Im assuming you like it......
Every time I put a order in at carpro I have my finger on the Lite but have yet to grab it but definitely will. Im assuming it's really nice to work with? Like gliss.....I find gliss to be amazing to work with and a breeze to apply. That's definitely a good product.
Gliss is great but it is designed as a topper and it does a great job at that. Adding slickness, gloss and extending durability. As a stand alone it is not as good. Lite is essentially a mini UK 3.0. IT will be more durable that Gliss and perform more like UK 3.0. Lite is also wipe on wipe off. I find it easy to work with.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I posted this write up over on Autogeek if anyone is interested in a 1 year test of various ceramic coatings.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...year-test.html
Old 01-15-2020, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

I posted this write up over on Autogeek if anyone is interested in a 1 year test of various ceramic coatings.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...year-test.html
That should be very interesting. Great idea.
That uv concept is kinda neat.

I will definitely be paying attention to this.
Without any experience with any of those other coatings except cquartz uk 3.0, I'm going to take uk 3.0 as the winner but time will tell. That's going to be a hard coating to beat imo.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

With all of the ceramic coatings out on the market does anyone have a recommendation for a first timer using ceramic coating? I've wanted to try some of the better stuff but get nervous hearing about getting a lot of high low spots that can be seen with the eye, ever experienced this before? Sometimes I wonder if this is warning mostly aimed those K&N filter guys that overly soak a filter when cleaning them and apply 3/4's of the k&n spray. If that makes sense lol
Old 03-05-2020, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

As long as you wipe off thorough and organized you should not have issues with high spots. Even if you get a high spot it's not the end of the world, you would just have to go back and machine polish that part and re-coat it. I would not let that deter you from giving it a shot.

Below are a couple examples of what a high spot will look like. You will see this when a section or spot was pretty much completely missed during removal, so like I said if ya just stay patient, thorough and organized you should be fine.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by neblackshirts
With all of the ceramic coatings out on the market does anyone have a recommendation for a first timer using ceramic coating? I've wanted to try some of the better stuff but get nervous hearing about getting a lot of high low spots that can be seen with the eye, ever experienced this before? Sometimes I wonder if this is warning mostly aimed those K&N filter guys that overly soak a filter when cleaning them and apply 3/4's of the k&n spray. If that makes sense lol
A high spot is going to happen. It is not the end of the world. Polish and recoat. It is all part of the learning process.

I wrote this write up in using the Adams UV paint coating. The UV light makes it helpful to see the coating going on and seeing missed spots. May be something you consider. It is actually a nice coating to work with and unlike most coatings it is slick upon touch.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/detai...y-coating.html

If you are not ready then I would recommend looking into CarPro Cquartz Lite or Gyeon CanCoat. They are lite versions of coatings but a great way to start. No need to worry about flash times with either of these. Wipe on wipe off and move on.

My review on Cquartz Lite. Maintain with Elixir and you will be set.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...artz-lite.html
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-detailer.html

Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

A quick write up/example I did of the amount of clear coat being removed during a mild aggressive compounding for those interested.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...surements.html
Old 03-20-2020, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What's everyone's opinion on Spray coatings like this Uber Ceramic spray? https://www.autogeek.net/wg-uber-cer...y-coating.html

Is this more of a maintenance to the actual ceramic coats like mentioned before in this thread or more of a fancy quick detail spray. The market has absolutely exploded on the detail market that I can guarantee lots of companies are making big profits off of confusing the average person with so many names and options available. Love seeing everyone's work by the way, nothing like a fully detailed car reflect and shine.

Quick Reply: "Professional" paint correction