Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Engine Washing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Washing

With an LS1 engine there's a lot of wires and stuff take should not get wet, so what this the correct way of washing an LS1 engine? (a video would be nice).
Old 09-11-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

-Cover up computer, alternator and disconnect battery.
-Spray down with mild engine degreaser
-use a spray nozzle from a distance from a hose to wash it off
-blow dry with electric leaf blower($30)
-Hook battery up, drive..... good to go
Old 09-11-2016, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Thanks
Old 09-11-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

If your engine compartment is not totally trashed then just cover a few things up, spray it down with degreaser then wash it off with water.

For the most part everything is water proof. I always point car on a slight decline nose first.

Here is a picture but I never had massive grim under the hood either. Just a quick soak (degreaser) and rinse works.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to wash my engine bay every time I washed the car. Diluted simple green and rinse off with water hose and dry with leaf blower or compressed air. Never covered anything and never had any issues.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^that. No real need to cover any thing. I've washed my engine bays plenty of times, and only coved things the first couple times since that's was what I had read to do.. You realize eventually how pointless the effort was.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I agree, no need to cover anything unless you've removed the PCM before and not replaced the gaskets - I seem to remember GM recommending replacement of those any time that the harness is disconnected. Even then, it's probably not much of an issue unless you use high pressure. I do usually stuff some plastic in the air intake area of the lid, just to keep the air filter from getting saturated.

I also agree with the Simple Green recommendation for a moderately dirty engine bay. Something stronger will be needed if it's really bad. If it's generally just dusty with a bit of grime, I just use dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle, and then a soft paint brush to lightly scrub where needed. For a rinse, you can use a garden hose with normal home water pressure. If you are really ****, you can use distilled water for the final rinse to avoid any water spots in areas that the leaf blower might not dry fully or quickly enough.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for Simple Green and rinse. But I did stuff microfiber towels into the air filter inlet so I didn't accidentally soak the filter.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the advice, and Simple Green sounds like the way to go as for a mild cleaner plus it smells good.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, so i can just grab simple green, and just spray everything in the engine bay and just rinse it off??

I would feel like im gonna mess something up...lol
Old 09-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm the original owner and washed the engine with Simple Green and use a electric leaf blower to dry it off, never covered anything from day one.

Only problem has been with the knock sensors under the intake getting wet and shorting out.

First time I replaced them when I installed a ZO6 intake and valley cover breather set up. At the time I was getting knock sensor codes.

Sealed up the rubber plugs with silicone, and probably about fourteen years later started getting several codes, checked resistance to knock sensors, some how water got in again (see photos).

I sealed the new ones in again, but now I also stuff a towel under the front of the intake to keep any water from flowing through there.

Last edited by 2000 WS6 Formula; 09-24-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you run out of silicone? Lol
Old 09-24-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

What did u guys use to dry your engine bay if u didnt have a leaf blower??
Old 09-24-2016, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
This is where distilled water can be useful, as it won't leave spots during an air dry. You don't have to do the whole washing with it, but you can poor a couple gallons over everything for a final rinse and then just let it air dry if necessary. High speed driving would also dry it pretty quickly.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing is really necessary.. air and time. Sure there will be water left in places but it will dry out. Use towels to dry everything within reach. Start up the car and let the engines heat help dry out everything.

As mentioned about, you can use distilled water, and taking it for a drive will help rid the car if any sitting water. These days I only wash the 78 and a self-wash place and use the "spot-free final rinse" on every thing, so I guess that helps. Once I get back home I go over all of the visible parts with detailing spray to get them looking right. But as at as drying, nothing is really necessary
Old 09-24-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick wipedown of larger areas with a microfiber towel, then air dry overnight.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for the thread necro but Im wondering if its ok to use an electric pressure washer on the engine bay without covering the alternator? The alternator is of particular concern because I was under the impression that was a part that needed to be covered but its also the part dirtiest in my car since the crappy power steering pump has coated it in power steering fluid. The car also has nitrous installed but I wouldn't be directly spraying the solenoids but I don't know if that is cause to avoid pressure washing the engine. What about the wiring harness if resistors were used to retard ignotion timing when the nitrous is armed?

Quick Reply: Engine Washing