Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seat issues and How to replace seat covers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Seat issues and How to replace seat covers?

On the rear seats I am seeing these metal tabs on the back of the seats and I am not sure how to remove them without damaging the foam...

Name:  IMAG2911_zpskyrmjoi3.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  127.0 KB

On the front seats, it appears the seat needs to come off the tracks to replace the covers but I am not sure how it's attached and where I need to unbolt it..

Also.. my power seats are not operating properly... My driver seat sits literally against the drivers door with a huge gap between the right side of the seat and the center console. The forward and reverse adjustment **** is backwards as well.. when you press the **** forward, the seat goes backward, and when you press the **** backward, the seat goes forward.. The most forward position of the seat has the back rest right against the steering wheel and the most backward position as pretty much normal driving position...

How can I fix this?

Video attached:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are hog rings. You need cutters to cut/break each and every one of them. Then of course, using new hog-rings when re-installing the new covers. You'll need a tool to crimp them.

Back seats GM used a combination of hog rigs and glue.

Front seats GM uses a combination of hog rigs & velcro. You'll need to remove and completely dis-assemble the front seats to do it. While you have the power seat track off, you might find the problem with it leaning to the left.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
Those are hog rings. You need cutters to cut/break each and every one of them. Then of course, using new hog-rings when re-installing the new covers. You'll need a tool to crimp them.

Back seats GM used a combination of hog rigs and glue.

Front seats GM uses a combination of hog rigs & velcro. You'll need to remove and completely dis-assemble the front seats to do it. While you have the power seat track off, you might find the problem with it leaning to the left.
Ah, before I read this, I ended up prying the hog rings open with a flat head and reused them with one of my covers..is that bad, should I replace the hog rings?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually use a pair of needle nose pliers to open up and remove the hog rings and then use zip ties to reinstall in place of new hog rings.

Works like a champ and 10x faster.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Whats the womans name who makes the covers? They are beautiful*
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Whats the womans name who makes the covers? They are beautiful*
Princess... and yeah she is awesome at what she does.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I managed to get them on the buckets and even the rear backrest. I'm running into a problem. The latches that hold the rear backrest in place are spring loaded so you can pull the handle down to move the backseat down... Thing is... I messed up and forgot which latch went on which side -- both of them are not aligning up right.. the spring goes in one hole and the bolt goes in the other but when I put it in, the handle position is not upright and it starts getting hard to go on and I dont want to break anything.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

n/m I figured it out. I was putting the spring in the wrong hole. there's a real small almost invisible hole I didn't notice that was made for it.

Quick Reply: Seat issues and How to replace seat covers?