Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Can Maaco be trusted with a two tone hood paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can Maaco be trusted with a two tone hood paint job?

I know Maaco is the devil because they usually do as little prep work as possible before spraying. But I've also been told and discovered for myself that quality of work is usually shop dependent. My local one did a respectable job on the fascia and bumper of my red Z28 over a year ago. Unfortunately, the hood started having clear coat failure in multiple spots out of the blue a few months ago. The hood in question is a red SS hood replica but the scoop itself is painted black with lines running to the edge of the hood.

I know Maaco is terrible at prep work but does doing a 2 tone job add anymore risk of that being a problem? Especially if the local shop did a decent job previously? I'm thinking black could possibly bleed through if not removed completely but am looking for all opinions.

I'm not opposed to going to a normal body shop to have it done either but being that a paintjob for an entire car at a shop usually costs what could buy you a highly modded Fbody in good condition these days, I imagine painting a hood is going to be 3 to 4 times what Maaco would quote me.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ex brother-in-law used to work for the local MAACO back home in GA. Besides their allergic reaction to prep work, they also use the cheapest paint possible. My uncle had his car painted by them and it lasted about 3 years before it started to deteriorate and fade.
Here on the coast in MS, I've seen a couple of cars my buddies on the base had painted by MAACO that didn't make it past the two year mark before they started to fade.
Maybe they are better where you are at, but, I personally wouldn't let the one's I know of paint my lawnmower.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Run away screaming from Maaco dude. Seriously.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only does Maaco do bad prep work but they don't even wipe the car down good before painting so you get dust and stuff in your paint job.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it's a gamble. I'd save for a quality place and plastidip if it's too far gone.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

**** that. I've learned the hard way when it comes to paint work, you get what you pay for. I might trust them to do my 1982 work van and that's pushing it. I've lived it, wasn't ******* worth it at all. The headaches, the re work etc etc etc.

Please learn from those of us who have done it
Old 06-10-2017, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So you already had maaco paint it once, and now you want to know if they do good work.

The answer is hell no. But it sounds like you've already cut a few corners the first time you had them paint it, so why not
Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I had them paint a hood once... clear coat failed and base coat oxidized in less than a year. Then I had to fight them to honor their warranty.

A friend of mine had his 95 Z painted by another maaco. In less than 2 months he had spiderweb cracks all over the fenders (they don't put a flex additive in the paint on plastic parts) and had paint flaking all over the door jambs and quarter panels.

Run like hell from them and never turn back.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Prep prep prep

Im not gonna lie Maaco kinda sucks. They painted my car and i think it came out pretty good, but i prepped 90 percent of the car, and like an idiot i got lazy at the end and had them prep the rear bumper 🤦dum♂️. Basically they painted over the chips i assumed they were gonna fix. EVERYTHING needs to be pointed out that you want repaired. I mean u need to circle every chip, nick, or ding, or its going to get painted over with no prep.

Aside from having them do the rear bumper prep, I did all the body work, primed and blocked the whole car. Even wetsanded it and removed all the parts i didnt want sprayed over. I paid for the base coat clear coat job,they sprayed it in the booth so there isnt a bunch of crap in the paint at least. After 2 days off removing the god awful orange peel they were suppose to remove, Im actually pretty happy with it. Moral of the story, If you want it to come out nice, and have no intention of doing any prep work, DON'T DO IT!

Old 06-24-2017, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

You have to buy an uplift on the type of paint you want. I have a friend that does half million dollar cars, every one of his spray booth guys came from Maaco, they get more actual painting time than anybody. (He has a chemical engineer on staff that mixed the Sikkens Enamel he uses).. They do fine operating the gun but if you let them use the cheap enamel you'll get a cheap paint job. I had them do a race car, started at the 699 special, uplift on paint was 299, full prep with me inspecting before spray was another 300 (No real body work just a full wet sand and block. It came out fine and lasted until it met a wall at about 125 and the cheap paint didn't protect the cal at all. Also, you always want the car in the booth last job of the day when it can sit in there all weekend if they are closed. Polyurethane paint dries slow. I paid a extra hundred for that..
Old 06-24-2017, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maaco does a Good Cheap paint job. You get exactly what you pay for. They did an aftermarket hood and my front bumper cover. The hood will be replaced and will respray the bumper cover. It was my DD, I needed it done cheap and quickly, they did just that. I have no regrets, it was cheap. Whenever I do manage to get an OEM SS hood without someone trying to rape me Maaco will not be the painter.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

With paint you always get what you pay for
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i called my local maaco for my 94z. They have several options he told me about. I'll take the car over there on Friday and see if I can get a full writeup and share with the group. My own car is just my hobby and the 5th fourth gen I've had, having owned one from new. I've been in this game a while and these are not collector items that require 10k paint jobs or even 5k paint jobs for that matter. The car is just not worth it as a whole to make that investment.

That said, here's what they told me:

single stage enamel -699
single stage acrylic urethane - 899
bc/cc (3 coats of each , sherwin williams paint) -1400-1500
OEM bc/cc (whatever that is ) -3250
Old 07-02-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't beleive your asking this question with a straight face...with paint work you get exactly what you pay for...find a reputable painter and have it done right and then enjoy it and all the compliments for years to come.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd only use them for a car I didn't care about. A buddy and I did all the prep on an old Volvo wagon he wanted to sell. Maaco did an acceptable job painting it, with only one notable flaw (a big run on one of the doors). He only wanted the car to look good for sale, and it sold promptly. I don't think he paid for than a couple hundred for the paint job. Just like many other posters have said, in terms of paint jobs, you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Can Maaco be trusted with a two tone hood paint job?