Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for Ideas on Detailing the plastic seat trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for Ideas on Detailing the plastic seat trim

I was never fond of the plastic GM used on the back of our seats, and especially on the side trim area that holds the seat switches, as shown here. The plastic is easily scuffed, scratched and worn looking. Painting isn't much better for it'll continue to scratch and wear. The wrap spray is also temporary, I'd like something more permanent.

So I had my local upholstery shop vinyl wrap the large back plastic pieces, and they came out great! Unless I point it out, no one realizes those parts are vinyl covered.

The problem is the side seat trim. It's so round on the front end, my shop says no way, they wont wrap it - for it'll have folds and wrinkles they are willing to put there touch on. And there's no way I have the patients to do the work either.

Any clever ideas others have done with this part? I wouldn't mind a fabric type spray of some sort, but I'm not finding anything like I'm picturing.

Thoughts???
Attached Thumbnails Looking for Ideas on Detailing the plastic seat trim-trim.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do have a question for ya though. So the trim on the bottom of the seats, was only there on models with power seats? I actually just today posted a question about whether my '99 Camaro should have some kind of molding even though they're not power. Well back to your question, I believe those pieces can be powder coated because powder coating doesn't require high temps to apply, just a thought. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Russ8993
Do have a question for ya though. So the trim on the bottom of the seats, was only there on models with power seats? I actually just today posted a question about whether my '99 Camaro should have some kind of molding even though they're not power. Well back to your question, I believe those pieces can be powder coated because powder coating doesn't require high temps to apply, just a thought. Good luck!
your '99 Camaro should have a plastic trim also, though it's different, heres a pic I found of the drivers side.

I think powder coating involves heat high enough to melt plastic...but a good thought.

Other ideas still welcome.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for Ideas on Detailing the plastic seat trim-camaro.jpg  

Last edited by michaelhawk; 08-16-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UV-cured powder coating requires lower temps to apply, making it able to powder coat plastic. Maybe contact a powder coater in your area to make sure?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have wrapped both of the covers on my seats.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vikingramair
I have wrapped both of the covers on my seats.
I've seen your picture of this before! How did you go about wrapping it, so smoothly around the large curve in the front end??
Old 08-20-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
I've seen your picture of this before! How did you go about wrapping it, so smoothly around the large curve in the front end??
Super stretch vinyl, thinner then regular and can be stretched in any direction.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Super stretch vinyl, thinner then regular and can be stretched in any direction.
Thanks for the tip!

Is that the Morbern Allsport 4‑Way Stretch ?

Last edited by michaelhawk; 08-22-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for Ideas on Detailing the plastic seat trim