Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Work

Anybody who has redone their interior, i.e seat upholstery, carpet, wrapping in leather, I would like your advice. So my 2002 z28 is Black on the outside but has the gray vinyl insides that I'm already sick and tired of. Cloth seats, gray carpet, dash, everything. What are the costs roughly to just have everything console-related wrapped in leather as opposed to just replacing everything with it's Black counterparts? What's the best way to go about finding every interior part in black? While I'm doing it, if I replace the carpet/door panels how expensive is it to put in sound deadening insulation?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelRainLS1
Anybody who has redone their interior, i.e seat upholstery, carpet, wrapping in leather, I would like your advice. So my 2002 z28 is Black on the outside but has the gray vinyl insides that I'm already sick and tired of. Cloth seats, gray carpet, dash, everything. What are the costs roughly to just have everything console-related wrapped in leather as opposed to just replacing everything with it's Black counterparts? What's the best way to go about finding every interior part in black? While I'm doing it, if I replace the carpet/door panels how expensive is it to put in sound deadening insulation?
I was in the same boat as you, and here is what I did and why:

Overall, I was bored with the factory solid 1 tone/color inside our cars. I also wanted Black and Not this Ebony shade. My ride is 2002 Red Firehawk with OEM leather ebony interior.

- Seats: I bit the bullet and bought new leather seat covers. Special order from 6LE, BLACK with RED inserts to match exterior color. I had them use the same GM Trans AM seat pattern. And custom logo headrests for bling. I had the back plastic (on the trans am seats) wrapped in vinyl by my upholstery shop.

- Carpet: I removed the original ebony/used carpet and replaced with Black from stockinteriors. I went with Plush and extra Mass backing. If I was to do it again, I'd skip the extra Mass Backing.

- Sound deadening: With the carpet out, I put down the stuff. Entire floor panel, hatch area, back seat sides. And the inside of the door panel (Skin area).

I considered wrapping all the interior plastic. Although I had good luck with the seat plastic, doing all the other panels and dash isn't for me. Wrapping comes loose with heat and temp changes. So I've left the interior plastic OEM Ebony. I may paint them at some point, but with everything else being Black now, I'm okay with the other parts ebony.

Cost: I lost track, and probably don't want to know. You'll have to decide how much your going to spend on everything!

Last edited by michaelhawk; 10-10-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelRainLS1
So my 2002 z28 is Black on the outside but has the gray vinyl insides that I'm already sick and tired of.....What are the costs roughly to just have everything console-related wrapped in leather as opposed to just replacing everything with it's Black counterparts? What's the best way to go about finding every interior part in black?
Just an FYI, but there are no "black counterparts" for all those interior items. Ebony (RPO 19I) interior trim was as dark of an interior color as GM ever offered for your 2002 Z28 (or any other 4th gen Camaro which used the '97+ interior styling.) There was no true black interior offered in these cars. If you want all the interior items to be black, you'd have to look at custom options as mentioned above (i.e. you won't find all those parts in black because they weren't offered in that color in the first place; your only options are wrapping/recovering/painting.)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had some custom seat replacement covers made from Leathal Interiors. Black leather, hot rod red suede, double red contrast stitching, and red embroider Camaro in head rest.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
I was in the same boat as you, and here is what I did and why:

Overall, I was bored with the factory solid 1 tone/color inside our cars. I also wanted Black and Not this Ebony shade. My ride is 2002 Red Firehawk with OEM leather ebony interior.

- Seats: I bit the bullet and bought new leather seat covers. Special order from 6LE, BLACK with RED inserts to match exterior color. I had them use the same GM Trans AM seat pattern. And custom logo headrests for bling. I had the back plastic (on the trans am seats) wrapped in vinyl by my upholstery shop.

- Carpet: I removed the original ebony/used carpet and replaced with Black from stockinteriors. I went with Plush and extra Mass backing. If I was to do it again, I'd skip the extra Mass Backing.

- Sound deadening: With the carpet out, I put down the stuff. Entire floor panel, hatch area, back seat sides. And the inside of the door panel (Skin area).

I considered wrapping all the interior plastic. Although I had good luck with the seat plastic, doing all the other panels and dash isn't for me. Wrapping comes loose with heat and temp changes. So I've left the interior plastic OEM Ebony. I may paint them at some point, but with everything else being Black now, I'm okay with the other parts ebony.

Cost: I lost track, and probably don't want to know. You'll have to decide how much your going to spend on everything!
Notice any difference with the sound deadening material?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaBryant
Notice any difference with the sound deadening material?
Oh yes! I'm used to the sound inside the car and out, but it's fun when a new person hops in for a ride. We can still hear the car and exhaust and it sounds great - but when the passenger gets out they all almost always say "wow, it's a lot loader outside the car"!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So I'm doing something similar.

Seats - selling stock cloth ones because having them recovered with addional foam will cost as much as good quality seats like recaro , bride, corbeau etc.

I ll be getting front seats from corbeau and extra material to cover door panels, rear seats , shift boot and center console lid. Basically any part of car I touch will be from corbeau.
Steering wheel replaced by momo wheel in alacantra.

Plastics will be hydrodipped in a subtle carbon fiber theme.
Stock interiors black carpet with Lyod mats and insolation.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On the topic of noise difference for sound deadening, it really all depends on what sort of deadening you use.

If you get the tar-like stuff it is more for vibrations and not hearing rocks/etc ping up on the bottom, while adding some mass. Mass loaded vinyl (basically lead in a soft pouch) is usually the best way to really quiet down the inside, but it is HEAVY and expensive.

Doors tend to respond well to the tar stuff, and trans tunnels love it. One of the biggest advantages of the tar is heat reduction.

By tar, I mean your basic - Fat Mat, Dynamat, etc.

Quick Reply: Interior Work