Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating

Will powder coating damage my belt tensioner? Don
Old 10-23-2017, 04:14 AM
Teching In

Default Powder coating

Sending out the kwik performance brackets for powder coating. Would like to do the belt tensioner but was afraid it might be damaged by the process. Anybody know? Don
Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

should be fine.... its the same material as the stock valve covers and those get PCed all the time
Old 10-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Default Powder coating

Don't know how much heat they use. Was a little concerned about the spring. Probably would be okay. Don
Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I wouldn't do it. I assume you're talking about a stock tensioner. The spring inside could be affected by the heat, and that's definitely a bad thing considering anything beyond stock power has been known to sling belts on LS motors with a stock tensioner.

Not to mention, the pulley isn't metal on my "stock" tensioner and would be a black plastic mess at the bottom of the oven, and the bearing definitely wouldn't tolerate it.

Only way I'd consider it is if you had a manual tensioner with the pulley removed.

Then again, if you're sending it out for PC, let the service provider tell you whether they'll do it or not. If you asked me to powder it, I'd tell you the above and I'd only do it at your risk.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with mealonwheels, if there's any plastic on that tensioner it will not take the heat from the oven. The spring will not be affected since powder coating is cured at 370F-400F depending on the chemistry. That isn't hot enough to change the temper of the spring.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Had no intention of pc the pulley and doubt that there is enough heat to damage the spring but have elected to pc the kwik performance brackets and leave the tensioner as is. Don
Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrod don
Thanks guys. Had no intention of pc the pulley and doubt that there is enough heat to damage the spring but have elected to pc the kwik performance brackets and leave the tensioner as is. Don
Perhaps I should clarify... even if the stock tensioner could handle the cure, the stock tensioner isn't worth the effort or cash given the belt slinging issues on LS motors. Glad you made the right decision, just make sure not to put too much effort into that tensioner as you may find it needs to be replaced anyway.

Quick Reply: Powder coating