Have RPO Codes, Need Further Interior Color Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have RPO Codes, Need Further Interior Color Info

1997 Camaro Z28

Vin: 2G1FP22P0V2119676

RPO Codes: 142 (Trim Combination Leather "LT GRAY"), 14I (Interior Trim "LT GRAY"). The dealer gave me a full printout of every RPO do i need to provide anything else for what i need help with below.

What I'm needing to purchase:

Sunshade (what color, I can get the OEM RH side but can't get the other side). A while back like 8 years ago I purchased some slightly used shades off this forum but I want to make sure my headliner / sun visors / sun shades all match.

Sun Visors - OEM Brand NEW bought off Ebay and were labeled charcoal gray (was this the correct color for my car?, my OEM ones matched pretty close).

Sun Shades - My car was suppose to come with it but i bought car used and tried to get ones that were correct

Passenger Side Kick Panel - Can get this brand new but they list part as gray. However on my driver side kick panel when I took it out to pull my fuel pump relay it said graphite on the inside of the molding. Now what gives lol, I'm really confused. Ebay / Hawks / Ricks and TA Creations have all the parts some new (mostly all of them i have get repros or slight used). I'm really at a loss for what exact color my trim is.

My biggest problems there is several shades of gray going on in my car and the car is all original. I see reproduced shades but they say either dark gray for 97 or light gray for 97 or charcoal gray for 97. There seems to be three different colors going on?

I know in previous posts and threads RPM said headliner / visors / shades all SHOULD match. That is what i'm going for.
Thanks!

Devin

Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The visors I have in the charcoal gray from about 6-7 years ago are brand new and seem to match the sunshades right on. The original visors match the ones i bought pretty close if not right on. That is why i really need help, the charcoal gray is different from what the RPO ccde says. And everytime I have looked up that PS kick panel it just says gray, it doesn't give me the option to select color. Then again I was told at dealer these parts numbers are specific to my vin number.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Unless someone changed some of these parts in your interior over the last 21 years, they would have all been included in that "14I" RPO. This color ranged from 1997-1999 (it was referred to as "Dark Gray" on my 1998 window sticker and '98 dealer brochure - and mine also uses the 14I RPO).

I have also seen the description for 14I to be "LT Gray" on some VIS printouts - presumably, "LT" is an abbreviation for "light". But I can tell you with absolute certainty that my 14I '98 car lists "Dark Gray" on the window sticker, so that's what GM originally called it (at least for '98).

FWIW, I have some t-top sunshades from a '97 car (with 14I) and they are a proper match for my '98 car with 14I (Dark Gray).

You mentioned this:

My biggest problems there is several shades of gray going on in my car and the car is all original.
If there are several different actual shades, then it's not all original. All those various pieces you've mentioned above would have matched originally. Or are you just referring to the color description that is listed for some of these items not matching? It seems that different sources use different names to represent the same color (apparently even GM themselves, since 14I has been listed as both "LT Gray" and "Dark Gray" in different places within that same 1997-'99 era - and I think it was also listed as "Dark Pewter" on the Pontiacs).

Another thing to be aware of - sometimes GM will substitute a later model interior part which will still fit but be a slightly different color. This happens once the original color has been discontinued. I encountered this once many years ago when trying to order a new center console lid; I wanted a '97-'99 14I/Dark Gray piece and ordered by VIN, but what I received was a '00-'02 Ebony piece (the earlier color ones were already out of stock and discontinued by GM at that point). They simply substituted the later part number as it was a direct fit (just not a perfect color match).
Old 11-13-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for all the help!

as far as I know everything is original for the interior of the car when I bought it in 2005. Yes I’m mostly confused by how different places label the same thing different names. I swore that DS kick panel said graphite on the inside of the molding. I do have the tri colored interior door panels (darker on top and lighter towards the carpet). Car is in the shop but maybe I can get in there and take that passenger side panel off and check. I did look at some LT GRAY pieces and it’s definitely not that color (way to light). Mine has to be a dark gray that’s why I was confused by RPO code LT GRAY.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is some pics

Last edited by blk97z28; 11-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by blk97z28
as far as I know everything is original for the interior of the car when I bought it in 2005.....I do have the tri colored interior door panels (darker on top and lighter towards the carpet).
Ok, I think I misunderstood this part before. I thought you meant that pieces such as the sunshades, visors and headliner were all different colors (these should all match), and/or that certain parts didn't match their pair on the opposite side of the interior. But I understand now. Yes, there are some different shades of plastic parts within the same interior code, but those individual parts will be the same color for all models optioned with that same interior code within the range of model years which used that color and part (i.e. all '97 Camaros with 14I interior would use the same color for a given part, only difference being leather surface vs. cloth in some cases - 142 vs. 14B, respectively).

Yes I’m mostly confused by how different places label the same thing different names. I swore that DS kick panel said graphite on the inside of the molding......Car is in the shop but maybe I can get in there and take that passenger side panel off and check. I did look at some LT GRAY pieces and it’s definitely not that color (way to light). Mine has to be a dark gray that’s why I was confused by RPO code LT GRAY.
I seem to recall some of the earlier LT1 cars using a darker gray, probably "graphite", during the years of the older interior design ('96 and earlier). I'm pretty sure this was different than the '97-'99 14I color, and I think also different than the '00+ 19I (Ebony) color.

Are you planing to order the kick panel new from GM? Or is it NOS from some other source? I'm not exactly clear on what source you're getting this part from - and it might make a difference. If you're ordering it brand new from GM today, you may end up in a situation like I described above (where I received a later Ebony part, even though I ordered by VIN, simply because it was a direct fit and the correct version was no longer available). But if you're getting an NOS GM part from some other source, originally bought before GM started substituting Ebony (19I) parts for the older cars, then it might be fine.

Frankly, I'm not even sure if this item is still available directly from GM and/or which colors are still available. It's not one that I've had to order myself in the recent past.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Ok, I think I misunderstood this part before. I thought you meant that pieces such as the sunshades, visors and headliner were all different colors (these should all match), and/or that certain parts didn't match their pair on the opposite side of the interior. But I understand now. Yes, there are some different shades of plastic parts within the same interior code, but those individual parts will be the same color for all models optioned with that same interior code within the range of model years which used that color and part (i.e. all '97 Camaros with 14I interior would use the same color for a given part, only difference being leather surface vs. cloth in some cases - 142 vs. 14B, respectively).

I seem to recall some of the earlier LT1 cars using a darker gray, probably "graphite", during the years of the older interior design ('96 and earlier). I'm pretty sure this was different than the '97-'99 14I color, and I think also different than the '00+ 19I (Ebony) color.

Are you planing to order the kick panel new from GM? Or is it NOS from some other source? I'm not exactly clear on what source you're getting this part from - and it might make a difference. If you're ordering it brand new from GM today, you may end up in a situation like I described above (where I received a later Ebony part, even though I ordered by VIN, simply because it was a direct fit and the correct version was no longer available). But if you're getting an NOS GM part from some other source, originally bought before GM started substituting Ebony (19I) parts for the older cars, then it might be fine.

Frankly, I'm not even sure if this item is still available directly from GM and/or which colors are still available. It's not one that I've had to order myself in the recent past.
Thank You RPM.

I am looking at Rick's Camaro, Hawks Motorsports (repro bezels), Ebay, TA Creations. I'll get some pictures of the interior here either tonight or tomorrow and I'll post them.

Devin

p.s.

https://www.z28.com/threads/what-is-...-color.145640/

That door panel is almost an exact match if not exact, my dash looks the same.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pictures. The sun shades are really off LOL, those will be changed. I'll need to compare the visors when I get a minute.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

The sunshades currently installed above are definitely not correct, those should be an exact match to the sun visors and headliner. The ones you have now look more like Ebony (19I) color from the '00+ cars.

But the kick panels and door panels look correct for a 14I car, mine look the same (other than having cloth on the upper door panel due to the cloth seats). The darker upper portions and lighter lower portions are correct for this interior color code on the '97-'99 cars.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The sunshades currently installed above are definitely not correct, those should be an exact match to the sun visors and headliner. The ones you have now look more like Ebony (19I) color from the '00+ cars.

But the kick panels and door panels look correct for a 14I car, mine look the same (other than having cloth on the upper door panel due to the cloth seats). The darker upper portions and lighter lower portions are correct for this interior color code on the '97-'99 cars.
Thanks a BUNCH!

this thread here (the medium dark pewter as this poster called it looks like an identical match to mine).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-interior.html

Last edited by blk97z28; 11-14-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car was built in November of 1996 according to my CHEVY Dealer RPO code. Would like be an early year 1997 or a later year 1997 production model? Where would I find this information?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The light gray vs dark gray is based on the 2 tone from everything I've seen. The dash and console are the same regardless of your gray, but the dark gray option continues that color while the light gets the 2 tone treatment like in your pictures. The dark gray and charcoal are supposed to be the same color but with a different name.

A late 96 build is the very earliest 97 model.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bammax
The light gray vs dark gray is based on the 2 tone from everything I've seen. The dash and console are the same regardless of your gray, but the dark gray option continues that color while the light gets the 2 tone treatment like in your pictures. The dark gray and charcoal are supposed to be the same color but with a different name.

Thank You!

I was able to snag some charcoal sun visors earlier a handful of years ago OEM. But if I want it all to match I might just bite the bullet and snag most of what I need through Stock Interiors / Hawks / Classic Industries / Ebay
Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thanks a BUNCH!

this thread here (the medium dark pewter as this poster called it looks like an identical match to mine).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-interior.html
I believe that "Dark Pewter" was just the Pontiac name for the same 14I "Dark Gray" interior color on the Camaro models in '97-'99.

The light gray vs dark gray is based on the 2 tone from everything I've seen. The dash and console are the same regardless of your gray, but the dark gray option continues that color while the light gets the 2 tone treatment like in your pictures.
I seem to recall this being true (darker kick panel option) for the earlier interior design ('96 and before), at least for some of those years, but for '97-'99 there was no option to get a darker gray color on those lower door panels and kick panels (unless perhaps this was possible with the white leather or houndstooth seat options - I can't recall if those cars received darker kick panels or not). Looking through my dealer brochures for 1998 and '99, there was only one "Dark Gray" interior option (14I) and it included those lower panels being a lighter gray.

Yes, an 11/96 built F-body would be a 1997 model year.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe that "Dark Pewter" was just the Pontiac name for the same 14I "Dark Gray" interior color on the Camaro models in '97-'99.

I seem to recall this being true (darker kick panel option) for the earlier interior design ('96 and before), at least for some of those years, but for '97-'99 there was no option to get a darker gray color on those lower door panels and kick panels (unless perhaps this was possible with the white leather or houndstooth seat options - I can't recall if those cars received darker kick panels or not). Looking through my dealer brochures for 1998 and '99, there was only one "Dark Gray" interior option (14I) and it included those lower panels being a lighter gray.

Yes, an 11/96 built F-body would be a 1997 model year.
That's what trips me up. The cutoff year when they messed with the interior colors. I keep putting it at 98 instead of 96. Plus the Pontiac style is different which makes it even more difficult to keep track of. I have the Pontiac 98-99 dark gray and at this point it's about 7 different colors depending on how much the sun hit it over the years lol.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is where I was looking for most of my stuff.

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/cam...n-visors-pair/

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/93-...oduction-pair/

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/sun...hades-gm-pair/ Maybe these are the ones I currently have installed?

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/kic...ck-panel-trim/

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/cam...-reproduction/ Door Bezels, they look black or a dark graphite on my car on that darker portion.

Devin
Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone able with the 14I interior would be willing to take off their door bezel and tell me the color on the back? I think these door bezels are a very dark gray or graphite. Hawks told me yesterday everything is graphite in my car, would someone be willing to remove their DS and PS kick panels and tell me the color on the inside. I would be willing to PayPal for your time, my car is currently having the TorqHead 24x conversion done and I don't have access to the car a lot at the current moment.

Devin
Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Anyone able with the 14I interior would be willing to take off their door bezel and tell me the color on the back? I think these door bezels are a very dark gray or graphite. Hawks told me yesterday everything is graphite in my car, would someone be willing to remove their DS and PS kick panels and tell me the color on the inside. I would be willing to PayPal for your time, my car is currently having the TorqHead 24x conversion done and I don't have access to the car a lot at the current moment.

Devin
I've already tucked my '98 away for the winter, but I do have a spare set of NOS '97-'99 "14I" kick panels that have been in my parts collection for ages. They were purchased new from GM back when these cars were still new, well before any colors were discontinued, and are a perfect match to the assembly line installed pieces on my '98.

I took pictures of the back side of both panels, RH & LH (left hand is first). Sorry that the pictures couldn't better capture the various markings, some of them were not well embossed during the original molding process. Unfortunately, as you can see, it appears that several part numbers and descriptions were included on these panels - apparently all using the same mold. "MED NEUTRAL", "DK GRAY", and "GRAPHITE" are all listed, plus another part number near the "Made in Canada" marking on each:

I don't necessarily agree with Hawks about these pieces being "Graphite" (unless they are simply using "graphite" as a generic term rather than the specific original interior color description). The proper description for the 14I interior pieces was "Dark Gray" on the original window sticker and dealer literature for my '98 (and I believe this was the same for '97, as the interior design and color was the same). I believe the "Graphite" option was available on some of the earlier 4th gens with the older style interior ('96 and prior). Again, it's possible that the "Graphite" panels may have been used on the white leather & houndstooth optioned interiors in the '97+ design; those cars are pretty rare, I haven't seen one in many years and I don't recall the specific color of their kick panels. But with 14I and 142/14B seats, this was the only shade of gray that was available in the '97-'99 years.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've already tucked my '98 away for the winter, but I do have a spare set of NOS '97-'99 "14I" kick panels that have been in my parts collection for ages. They were purchased new from GM back when these cars were still new, well before any colors were discontinued, and are a perfect match to the assembly line installed pieces on my '98.

I took pictures of the back side of both panels, RH & LH (left hand is first). Sorry that the pictures couldn't better capture the various markings, some of them were not well embossed during the original molding process. Unfortunately, as you can see, it appears that several part numbers and descriptions were included on these panels - apparently all using the same mold. "MED NEUTRAL", "DK GRAY", and "GRAPHITE" are all listed, plus another part number near the "Made in Canada" marking on each:

I don't necessarily agree with Hawks about these pieces being "Graphite" (unless they are simply using "graphite" as a generic term rather than the specific original interior color description). The proper description for the 14I interior pieces was "Dark Gray" on the original window sticker and dealer literature for my '98 (and I believe this was the same for '97, as the interior design and color was the same). I believe the "Graphite" option was available on some of the earlier 4th gens with the older style interior ('96 and prior). Again, it's possible that the "Graphite" panels may have been used on the white leather & houndstooth optioned interiors in the '97+ design; those cars are pretty rare, I haven't seen one in many years and I don't recall the specific color of their kick panels. But with 14I and 142/14B seats, this was the only shade of gray that was available in the '97-'99 years.
RPM,

Thank you so much for your input, I'll pull one of these panels when I get a chance and see what I come up with. I'll be sure to keep updating this thread so I can hopefully help out future people looking for interior advice etc. I did send you a PM as well.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I messaged Jeff @ TA Creations this morning and here was his response 14i interior etc.

"Hello,GM, in their quest to try and make a new model year different from the previous, did some odd things. They would rename the same color something different the next year and so on.So for example: there were only 3 different “gray colors” used from ‘93-‘99 (‘00-‘02 Camaro had a rare pewter option). GM used the names Light Gray, Medium Gray, Dark Gray, Very Dark Gray, Pewter, Dark Pewter, Graphite, Dark Graphite and Very Dark Graphite. All to describe 3 colors. The idea was to make people think that GM was coming out with a fresh color….lies all lies !Now to your model. A ‘97 Camaro could have had 2 different gray colors. The med gray (GM calls very dark gray code 14D) and the lt gray (GM calls light gray code 14i). The light gray was very rare and we’ve never seen in leather, only cloth. The med gray was available in cloth and leather.If you have the light gray, you’re not going to find anything around for that new.Thanks Jeff"