Notices
Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dashskin dashpad cover/replacement

Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the gorilla glue does not like the smooth surface.... flaked right off. Moved on to plastic weld..... should be good to go. Fitment tomorrow evening i hope
Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks Blownbayou. I am definitely going to go this route. I'm curious to see the color match with the rest of the interior.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Install pics.... the front velcro strips dont come close to the stock strips to adhere... but i can live with it as long as my installed pin hold.... and they do. The velcro near the grille does not come close either. May have to figure something out in the future, but for now I am good

Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'm sold. That looks great. What year is your car, and what color did you order?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
I'm sold. That looks great. What year is your car, and what color did you order?
2000 and I went with the black... Will get you the name of the plastic weld I used and also the push pins.... I know the push pins are 9mm
Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Like I said... The velcro strips I used do not touch the stock pads on the dash.... I will have to figure something out to adhere the front of the dash where the grille meets the main dash. The other pads..... Not too much worried. The pillar covers actually hold it down pretty good.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the price and quality it cant be beat. Nice install.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

ill have to order 2 just unsure what color to get as they both look similar to me
Old 01-27-2019, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just ordered one. That's a killer price especially since it fits so well. I wouldn't be surprised if they start jacking the price up once they find out how popular they are.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Launching!

I want to thank you guys for this post! I just did this using blownbayou's pin method. I also added a pin by the defrost were factory "velcro" would be, I simply drilled a hole there and added the pin. Then I drilled a hole thru the cover that allowed just the bulb to come thru from the security light and plastic welded the base to the under side. The whole thing looks factory and I'm very picky, love it!! Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2019, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine showed up a few days ago. It was packaged very well. Looking forward to putting it on this weekend.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Update. I ordered mine late last week and got it in the mail within 3 days. Quality is excellent. I ended up getting the gray color which matches my 99 ss gray interior very well.

I also went with the Christmas tree fastener method and removed the entirely of the lower dash. I pulled the foam off of the original lower dash and was able to keep both sides in one piece for use underneath this one. I then sanded the heads of the fasteners as well as the mount points on the dash with 80 grit before applying the fasteners to the dash with plastic weld. I was also able to remove the light sensor and security light mount and glue that directly to the underside of the new dash. I installed it this morning and couldn't be happier. I just want to emphasize that I did not use any part of the original lower dash, only the foam backing.

I ended up using the stock mount points, as well as drilling 2 holes in front of the vent were the Velcro was used to fasten it originally. With the foam in the front under the dash I didn't need to put anything there to fasten it, and it holds tight without any rattles. Only complaint I have is my own fault, one of my front clips I glued slightly off and now the drivers side of the vent is poking up a bit, I believe with a few hot days or a few hot defrost sessions it will level out, I am able to apply just a little force to push it where I want, so I see it moving once heat is applied. Overall for 120 shipped this cannot be beat, I am extremely happy with the outcome. For anyone on the fence, honestly just order it, I guarantee they're going to skyrocket in price pretty soon.

Before:

Dashskin dashpad cover/replacement-photo749.jpg

After:

Dashskin dashpad cover/replacement-photo214.jpg

Dashskin dashpad cover/replacement-photo57.jpg

Dashskin dashpad cover/replacement-photo896.jpg

Dashskin dashpad cover/replacement-photo905.jpg

Dashskin dashpad cover/replacement-photo499.jpg

Last edited by GtoProject; 02-03-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

i tried to install mine today. it's going to need some trimming..
Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good idea on the two pins for the defrost!!!! Right now I have a plastic spacer and the stock velcro button RTV'd together.... I am going to place it on the stock velcro strip on the dash (front right location on defroster), add some plastic weld to the top and weigh down the dash for the drying period. I would hate to remove the skin and break it or the pins already installed. This should work.

I should have did the two pin idea though..... GREAT THINKING!!!!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
Good idea on the two pins for the defrost!!!! Right now I have a plastic spacer and the stock velcro button RTV'd together.... I am going to place it on the stock velcro strip on the dash (front right location on defroster), add some plastic weld to the top and weigh down the dash for the drying period. I would hate to remove the skin and break it or the pins already installed. This should work.

I should have did the two pin idea though..... GREAT THINKING!!!!
I can see why you wouldn't want to remove it. With how strong these fasteners seem to be anchored into the stock holes (at least on mine), I wouldn't want to be taking this off anytime soon. There is that slight disadvantage of these christmas tree fasteners, but I don't see me ever taking this dash pad off. I've had my car for over 6 years and this is the first time I've removed it. I may order another now and just keep it in the closet, in the off chance I do need to remove it. I'm not sure if I could without breaking it.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GtoProject View Post
I can see why you wouldn't want to remove it. With how strong these fasteners seem to be anchored into the stock holes (at least on mine), I wouldn't want to be taking this off anytime soon. There is that slight disadvantage of these christmas tree fasteners, but I don't see me ever taking this dash pad off. I've had my car for over 6 years and this is the first time I've removed it. I may order another now and just keep it in the closet, in the off chance I do need to remove it. I'm not sure if I could without breaking it.
No Doubt..... Glad to help out and will post my luck with the velcro addition
Old 02-04-2019, 10:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Just ordered mine. I've also found a pair of door skins that aren't cracked, so my interior will be back to mint after this. Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 View Post
i tried to install mine today. it's going to need some trimming..
What needs trimming.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Just ordered mine! You guys are awesome for the write up I can't wait. Don't forget to use coupon code "buddydiscount" for $10 off! <-- if that's not allowed I apologize.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Secured a plastic spacer I found (tv wall mount spacer) to one of the small velcro pads I had left from the original dash. Why did I keep this?? I have no idea!!!! I used the same plastic weld epoxy to seal them together. I then placed the pad on the velcro pad with the spacer on the stock pad located on the left of the grille. Applied some more plastic weld to the spacer and weighed the dash down with a cup of change. Let it sit overnight and now the dash it cinched down in the front!!!! Would have done the pin mod as advertised, but once I put the pins in I was afraid to pull the dash pad back out. This worked perfect for my situation.

Glad to help everyone save much needed money!!!!

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: