Notices
Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dash Material Replacement (not the cap)

Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Default Dash Material Replacement (not the cap)

As our cars age the cheap *** faults really start to show. I pulled a dash from another Firebird so I can eventually replace mine. Mine has cracks not in the dash pad like everyone has but the foam/vinyl material that looks like fake leather that surrounds the dash.

[/url]

Has anyone ever replaced this? It looks like it's just glued on.

I've approached a few upholstery shops in my area and none want to touch it?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The material is glued on with contact cement if I recall correctly. Most people don't want to deal with getting everything ripped off and cleaned and almost nobody wants to attempt getting the new material wrapped around all the curves.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should have walked in the upholstery shop and instead of asking if they will do it, ask if they have someone experienced enough to do it. That way it presents a challenge. most people like to prove that they can do something if you make them feel (low key) like they cant.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Banned

I got lucky and bought an entire new dash....same thing in your picture.

Look around you'll find someone selling one. I paid $200
Old 02-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post
you should have walked in the upholstery shop and instead of asking if they will do it, ask if they have someone experienced enough to do it. That way it presents a challenge. most people like to prove that they can do something if you make them feel (low key) like they cant.
I found one shop and are awaiting on another one to reply that might do it. I have to bring it too them for them to see in person.

I just can't believe Classic Industries or YearOne haven't done something for this yet. My car is 21 this year and that fake leather doesn't last forever. They got almost everything else for our cars....
Old 02-16-2019, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I know of a guy in my city that might tackle this job but since you don't list where your from I cannot help you.

Why is it that people don't fill out the important parts of their profiles?
Old 02-16-2019, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the job of recovering the entire dash would be as simple as stretching what ever material is used over the existing cover.....seems like a piece of cake for an experienced person

that being said I need mine done too ! not to mention the real bad curling on the pass air bag
Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Teching In

I just purchased a 97 Trans Am WS6, how hard is it to get that out? I found one to replace mine, but just wondering if I can do it, my ex left me tools and I'm not afraid to use them!

Thanks, Danni
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Seriously! Uggggggg, I really can't find any info on removing the dash part with the air vents, mine is cracked up and an eye sore! Is it easy to get? Is there aftermarket ones? Guys help me please!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The dash pad comes out fairly easy and there's a hundred dollar replacement you can get. The actual dash is a junkyard or Craigslist item. You have to pull the pad and cluster and stereo and everything else you could possibly imagine just to get to the screws. It's a big project.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 AM
Teching In

I really hate to be a pain, but I can't find a replacement anywhere! Any help would be most appreciative! I realize I could get a used one, I actually had the local yard pull one for me and I went to get it and it was worse then mine. I really was hoping to get a newer one if possible, I'm guessing ANY used one is going to be questionable as the car has been out of production so long. Thanks ahead for any help, Danni
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Last year of production was 2002 so the newest dash you can find is 17 years old. If it was in a hot climate it'll be cracked and if it's from a cold climate it'll probably crack when it gets pulled. Let us know your location and someone might be able to help you more.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my Trans Am dash from a local guy for $200 or so a few years back. I’m sending it out to be wrapped in Alcantara or leather professionally with most of the interior panels as well. I would put feelers out there to see what’s out there. Plenty of these cars out there to find something decent. eBay Craigslist Facebook markets place. I know a guy parting out a couple fbodies that have nice interiors in...
Old 03-17-2019, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

pics and price after you get it recovered !!! thats my next project as the $$$ become available
Old 04-06-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by LetsRide View Post
I bought my Trans Am dash from a local guy for $200 or so a few years back. Iím sending it out to be wrapped in Alcantara or leather professionally with most of the interior panels as well. I would put feelers out there to see whatís out there. Plenty of these cars out there to find something decent. eBay Craigslist Facebook markets place. I know a guy parting out a couple fbodies that have nice interiors in...
Please keep us updated on the leather wrap. How it turns out. I would be very interested in having mine done. 20 years of hot Florida weather has destroyed mine. Seems that a good Ebony dash is pretty hard to find.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: