Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Full repainted, how to buff it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Full repainted, how to buff it?

How would you Buff a car that has just been repainted over? I need to do it,but I dont want to go to a shop to do it if it isnt too hard. I know shops wet sand it down, and than machine wax it.

Would that be the same as claying it?
Old 08-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing you have minor swirls and the paint has been fully cured.

If that's the case and you don't have a buffer, get some 3M Swirl Mark Remover locally, some terry cotton applicators and read the instructions on the bottle. You can fix quite a bit with that polish.

FYI

A claybar glides over the clearcoat, pulling off particles.
A polish is abrasive, it corrects swirl marks, etching, scratches and other physical clearcoat defects.
A wax is nothing more than a protectant. No abrasive or cleaning action.

Last edited by Joe DIESO; 08-04-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got pics?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Joe DIESO
I'm guessing you have minor swirls and the paint has been fully cured.

If that's the case and you don't have a buffer, get some 3M Swirl Mark Remover locally, some terry cotton applicators and read the instructions on the bottle. You can fix quite a bit with that polish.

FYI

A claybar glides over the clearcoat, pulling off particles.
A polish is abrasive, it corrects swirl marks, etching, scratches and other physical clearcoat defects.
A wax is nothing more than a protectant. No abrasive or cleaning action.
If I rub my hand over some parts of the car, I can really feel little little particles. Like little little pebbles. Would it be a good idea to claybar it?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, clay it. How long has it been since the repaint?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Yes, clay it. How long has it been since the repaint?

Its been around 1 month.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't do any buffing just yet. Go ahead and clay it, though.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

i used my meguiars swirl remover 2.0 and it dosent look like it did ****...i did it by hand though..maybe thats why.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zchgla
i used my meguiars swirl remover 2.0 and it dosent look like it did ****...i did it by hand though..maybe thats why.
Try some Meguiar's ScratchX or 3M SMR 39009. Working by hand makes the work hard and results less than desirable.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flawless
How would you Buff a car that has just been repainted over? I need to do it,but I dont want to go to a shop to do it if it isnt too hard. I know shops wet sand it down, and than machine wax it.

Would that be the same as claying it?
claying is not gonna do a damn thing, doing it by hand is not either. you do not have to wait, you can do it now .it is not hard at all. do not be intimidated by sanding or buffing. do not use cheap compounds like meguiars or turtle. sand it with 1500 grid, buff it with 3m rubbing compund, and then finish it off with 3m machine glaze to give it the gloss and to get rid of the swirls. this is the way we do it to attain maximum results. i wouldnt wax it until after 6 months, the paint has to breath in order to cure, wax creates a film on the paint and does not allow it to breath, but if you decide to use wax, use a 3m or one thats not silicone-based.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ScratchX is weaker than Meguiars 2.0. At least step up to 3M SMR, maybe 3M Finesse It-II. The Meguiars 2.0 didn't repair much because your detailing by hand. You need to polish quite a bit longer than you would with a buffer.

Those bumps are fine unless they're clearcoat defects. Just get a clay bar, read the back of the box and go at it, pretty simple and it's the least abrasive approach to removing that dirt in your clear.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flawless
If I rub my hand over some parts of the car, I can really feel little little particles. Like little little pebbles. Would it be a good idea to claybar it?
Sounds like an assload of dirt in the clear and probably the base too if it is that bad,wet sand is the solution,starting with 1,000 diamond cut by meguiers on a soft pad,followed by 3m perfectIII light compound,then perfectIII glaze,then finish agin by hand with the glaze,then finally a coat or two of wax will get you the results you want w/o swirls.Then again if you have never done this before,better off paying 300-400 to have done by a good reputable body shop
Old 08-05-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Just try a clay bar first. There's no sense in sanding, buffing, etc. when it's not needed. If your problem is fixed after claying, put a quality wax/sealant on it.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Just try a clay bar first. There's no sense in sanding, buffing, etc. when it's not needed. If your problem is fixed after claying, put a quality wax/sealant on it.
I went through and did the clay. I first washed it, than used Clay magic and clayed it. It did make a big difference, car is so shiny. I waxed it afterwards. My hand started to ache real real bad, so I left the back for tomarow.

As many have stated, it will need to get wet sanded to take out the dust that is stuck on it. I can wait on that for awhile

Thanks alot everyone for your help.

Quick Reply: Car Full repainted, how to buff it?