Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

RK Sport 5 inch spoiler (3pc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004 | 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default RK Sport 5 inch spoiler (3pc)

I have this 3 peice spoiler, one peice attaching to the stock spoiler, and two attach to the rear fenders...

I really want to avoid drilling the fenders. I have a body work and paint guy who seems to think he could get the two smaller peices to fit to the ends and he could putty it then paint the whole thing...

All im wondering is what kind of adhesive should i use to do this? the two side peices would be glued to the center peice, puttied over all the cracks...sanded, primered, painted, then clear coated...just wanna make sure this **** is ognna stick

thnx
Travis
Old 08-05-2004 | 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

uhhh, if you glued the side pieces to the middle piece, wouldn't you not be able to open your trunk? Also, what part of NoVA you from? I'm from there also.
Old 08-05-2004 | 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Leesburg. if i dont drill the peices into the fenders, and just attach it to the main part i would be able to open the hatch.

My biggest fear with this thing is these two A. drilling threw a metal fender in the rear, is the hole going to end up leaking and r usting...and B. if i dont like it after a few months...i have to patch 2 holes and repaint...again. doing it the way i described, that gives me options plus no chance of any leakage or rust!
Old 08-05-2004 | 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but LG Motorsports make the ZR-28 spoiler exactly as you are describing it:
Old 08-09-2004 | 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Oh sweet, never seen that ZR-28 grill before. But, just make sure you want to do it AND keep it before you start drillin. If you have any doubts, I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-09-2004 | 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont have any doubts. i picked it up for cheap as hell, and the stock spoiler came with it. puttying the holes and repaintin that wouldn't be difficult, my only worry is leakage and rust. if i can do this without worryin about those two factors...i would already start drilling
Old 08-09-2004 | 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

I would personally use some type of adhesive to bond the spoiler piece to the fender if you don't plan on removing it. Otherwise, 3m makes a very durable two sided tape specifically for such applications. I used the 3m stuff on my front and rear fascias without screwing anything in and the held up just fine. My guess is two little spoiler pieces should hold up just fine with two sided tape.
Old 08-10-2004 | 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I agree with kpowr... use the 3M double sided adhesive that is made for attaching spoilers. It works well for those applications and won't cause such permanent damage as drilling IF for some reason you decide to remove it further down the road. I just had my 3 piece spoiler repainted and the two side pieces are attached by 3M tape while the middle piece is drilled. Just FYI.
Old 08-11-2004 | 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i posted a question a while back ago asking if that 3m stuff would work and people were telling me to just stop being a ***** and drill lol. evidently they've never used that stuff to tape someone to their hockey locker

whats their slogan? "3M adhesives...you could stick a fat woman to a barn door with this ****" or something like that...is there any particular double sided tape i should try?
Old 08-11-2004 | 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

http://www.autobodydepot.net/scripts...?pgm=3m500.bbx

Quick Reply: RK Sport 5 inch spoiler (3pc)