Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Aftermarket hoods please

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Aftermarket hoods please

I was just wondering if anyone could post pictures of their cars with aftermarket hoods, ie: 4-port extractor hood, ultra z, single port extractor hood. Thank you in advance
Old 09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres mine

Old 09-06-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

not one of the ones you were askin for but here's mine anyway:

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/griffz28350
Old 09-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Default 4-port extractor

if anyone has the 4-port extractor hood, i would like to see pictures of how it is setup as a drainage (the plumbing) maybe a picture of inside the hood, like with a flashlight... or just a picture of the top of the hood, and a picture of the underside of the hood

Thank you
Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

You can check out my webshots site for pics of my old car (99ta) with the Mecham 4-port heat extractor hood.

Quality sucks on the Mecham hoods...if you're buying one, be prepared to spend a *lot* of $$ in prep before you can paint it....

good luck...
Old 09-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Launching!

anyone else have a 4-port or single-port extractor hood or any aftermarket hood for that matter that can take pictures and post or email them to me.... i would like to see some close ups before the hood was painted on the underside and on the top and after the hood was painted....

Thank you in Advance
Old 09-12-2004, 06:25 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here ya go: (This is an authentic Mecham hood...) I just got this painted and installed last monday

Old 09-12-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-12-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-13-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Hey! Mine was an 'authentic' Mecham hood too!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I owned one of the WS9's And it was pretty slick. I traded it up for the Ram Air 4" raised cowl though.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket hoods please-88_12_sb.jpg   Aftermarket hoods please-95_12.jpg   Aftermarket hoods please-99_12.jpg   Aftermarket hoods please-bc_12.jpg  
Old 09-13-2004, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Plus the ws9 Did not fit properly.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Launching!

wow, ws9, thats a pretty interesting hood.... i wonder why they would make somthing that doesnt fit right....

shane or chad, do you think you could take some pictures of the bottom of the hood some closer pictures and if you could tell me about the defects in the hoods before they were painted.... i would like to see how much i am looking ot have a bodyshop reapair the defects and paint the hood...

Thank you in advance
Old 09-13-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyChadZ28
Here ya go: (This is an authentic Mecham hood...) I just got this painted and installed last monday
Whoa!! Sweet car
Old 09-13-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those are all pretty bad *** hoods. I wish I had the money for one but im too busy buying engine mods
Old 09-14-2004, 12:09 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v DaN 02
wow, ws9, thats a pretty interesting hood.... i wonder why they would make somthing that doesnt fit right....

shane or chad, do you think you could take some pictures of the bottom of the hood some closer pictures and if you could tell me about the defects in the hoods before they were painted.... i would like to see how much i am looking ot have a bodyshop reapair the defects and paint the hood...

Thank you in advance
I don't have a digital camera of my own (yet) I plan on buying one tomorrow. My friend took those. When I get mine tho, I will take some more pics from the front and a couple from underneath for ya. My hood needed a LOT of work! I bought it from a guy who wrecked his mecham (was hit in the right front fender. It caused spiderwebbing throughout the whole hood- mostly on the paint, but also some of the fiberglass on the top. The bottom needed extensive fiberglass work on the structual reinforcement. I paid $200 for the hood, and I have a paint guy I've been doing business with for 3 years now and he does awesome work. He does all my stuff on the side and uses the dealers booth and shop to do his work. Anyways, he only charged me $400 to repair & fix and paint it. But with the amount of labor he put in, I'd expect a body shop would have probably charged $700+. But then again, you will not have as many issues as I did if you get the hood new from the manufacturer... I know none of this probably does much good for you sorry...
Old 09-14-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by v DaN 02

Thank you in advance
I don't have that car or hood anymore, or I'd be glad to take some more pics of the hood for ya.
It's been about 4 years since I bought that hood and had it done, so I may not remember everything...
1. Rear corner: ~1" broken off (Mecham would be happy to fix it, but wouldn't pay shipping of ~100$ each way)
2. Underside not finished at all. Very rough fiberglass, with some matting-like material visible.
3. Very amateur-looking fiberglass work around mesh grills in extractors.
4. Top side was rough, but fairly easy to finish for a body shop.
5. Lines did not meet up correctly with the fenders on either side - curves were close, but lower than then fender in some spots, and higher in others.

Not what I expected for a thousand dollar hood. Even though I heard similar stories from others before I bought it...
Worst part was Mecham wasn't very apologetic about any of the issues. They merely repeated that if I didn't like the hood, I could return it for a refund or replacement - but they wouldn't cover or reimburse shipping costs...
Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Launching!

ok, well i dont think i'm going to be getting a mecham hood anymore.... is there anything wrong with their flushmount rear spoiler.... i was looking into that i saw an 02 with that on the car... looked pretty nice...

or should i try to find an older style ss wing maybe at a junkyard in good condition or what would anyone reccomend?

are there any other aftermarket hood companies out there that are even worth looking at?

thanks in advance
Dan
Old 09-14-2004, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

v Dan 02.... I know you were asking for some different style hoods, but here's a link to a few pics of mine. It's a 3" Harwood show quality cowl. The bodyshop had to trim @ 1/4 " off off each rear corner and do some shimming, but I believe that was due to the front being in a fender bender ealier that wasn't repaired very well by the dealer. I got this hood as a insurance replacement ( hail damage) and didnt have much money at the time to have it really sanded well. There are a few "bumps" in the surface that are noticable. I will have it re-done this fall. BTW the cost was around $480 or so.
Here's the link:

http://members.cardomain.com/kmdracer

Kevin
Old 09-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Launching!

thats a really nice hood... if only it had a ram air port in the front of it.... i was just looking for a ram air style hood.... if only i could find one with good quality... oh well, thanks for the pics kdmracer

Quick Reply: Aftermarket hoods please