Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How long to wait to Zaino after new paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long to wait to Zaino after new paint job? UPDATE - Answer inside

I had some body work done on the passenger side of my car, then they repainted the entire passenger side. They painted it on Monday, and I picked the car up on Tuesday and it has been garaged since then (my friend at the body shop said to keep it out of the rain for a week to avoid water spots). Nobody there mentioned anything about not waxing/polishing it for x number of days, though. I've heard various things from people, however. Some people say to wait a couple weeks, some people say to wait a month or more, and some people say to wax it right away.

I'm heading to Vegas next Wednesday, so I want to get some healthy coats of Zaino on it before I head down. Will I be OK to Zaino it on Saturday?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Dracus; 10-29-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need to let the paint cure for 30-90 days. So no wax or any kind of polymer synthetic. YOu can use any kind of body shop safe product like Meguiars 80 or 81 or you could use 3M's Imperial Hand Galze it will make it look nice n wet but wont offer much protection. Out of those 3 id say the 80 would give you more protection.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Why does Meguires 80 allow paint to cure, but a synthetic polymer doesn't? Thanks for the info, btw. Anyone else?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Zaino is a body shop safe product (no silicones). As far as I know, you can use it right away.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Zaino is a body shop safe product (no silicones). As far as I know, you can use it right away.
Best news I've heard all day. Thanks.

Anyone else have anymore info on this?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

I would suggest calling Sal Zaino to ask for sure. He has been a car painter for 30 years, so he should know.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive heard you cannot use the ZFX or Z1 for a month but you can use the other products.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I would suggest calling Sal Zaino to ask for sure. He has been a car painter for 30 years, so he should know.
I wish I would have thought of that sooner, LOL. I called but they were closed, but they have the "urgent message" thing, so I left a message. Hopefully he'll call me back. Otherwise I'm going to just go ahead and ZFX + Z5 it tonight. If it messes it up, I'll repaint it again. (Yes, I'm stubborn and impatient)
Old 10-29-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dracus
Why does Meguires 80 allow paint to cure, but a synthetic polymer doesn't? Thanks for the info, btw. Anyone else?
because some synthetics dont allow the paint to fully breathe during the curing process, how ever since the #80 is a body shop safe product it still alows the paint to breathe during this process. Im not too sure on the zaino like ZaneO said..... but most of the time he's right
Old 10-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

I just talked to Sal and he said that it's perfectly fine to use Zaino along with ZFX now. He said that whenever he paints a car as soon as he's done painting it he puts Zaino on it, but he doesn't publically tell people that because he doesn't want painters to start yelling at him.

He also informed me of a little surprise that is coming to Zaino users. You guys are gonna be stoked when you hear about it, but I told him I wouldn't say anything.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

swirl remover....(hopefully, so we can stop pretending Z5 actually does anything)
Old 10-29-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Sal always has some surprise. I have a few of them myself right now, but we'll talk about that when the time comes.

Quick Reply: How long to wait to Zaino after new paint job?