Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile

Originally Posted by JasonWW
If anyone can find a car pic they like and a scoop pic that is roughly from the same angle I'll put the 2 together for you.

School? I taught myself! Download yourself a copy of Adobe PS 6 or 7 from a shareware program. (Not that I condone that) It includes a tutorial usually and you can find books on it at the used book stores. There are newer versions of PS, but I would stick to 6 or 7. You will get better over time. I don't think I know even 1/4 of what can be done. Still it's fun to mess with.

See what I mean?
Could you take the car from this post and reverse the red and white? That is my plan B if I can't swing the bucks to repaint my red TA to white when I install the shaker. It sure would be nice to see it.
http://www.freewebs.com/raleighta/

Last edited by Raleigh TA; 03-18-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a quick PS job. Those reflections are hell.

Also, don't forget that the overall hood is bulged up higher around the windshield.
OMG THAT IS SEX ON WHEELS! That is so incredibly awesome looking...when I get my LS1 formula WS.6 i'm SO doing that! haha...i can't wait till i get my car...lol...someday...damn V6
Old 03-18-2006, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was going to try to make my own camaro ss hood for my ta saw a photochop and it was awsome just a flat hood no air indents with the ss scoop

Last edited by amean94ta; 03-18-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
In person, I think the scoop needs not be larger to fit on the 4th gen. Think about it...the 2nd gen is a larger car, if the scoop was right on the larger car, why make it even larger on a smaller car? I like the Heritage, but the scoop is a bit too large for me to consider for my daily driver.
I always thought the 2nd gen scoop was a little on the small size. On the newer cars I don't think i tneeds to be taller, just a bit longer and wider. For some reason the stock size shacker just looks too small to me on the 4th gens. The guys that made the heritage also said they made their shaker a bit larger, in case anyone didn't know that. Anyway, it's a personal thing.

So, since you are proficient with PS, could you graft the fender heat extractor from the Heritage onto this 4th gen, but leave the stock fender vents? I'll post the base pics on my site.
Here's one that's pretty decent.
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-98ta30-20side-2-.jpg-b.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could you take the car from this post and reverse the red and white? That is my plan B if I can't swing the bucks to repaint my red TA to white when I install the shaker. It sure would be nice to see it.
http://www.freewebs.com/raleighta/
I couldn't really make that white car red. It's pretty easy to change colors, but white is a lack of pigment, so you it's hard to change. I'm not good enough to paint it red in PS and make it look realistic either, so I just found a decent looking red car and grafted the shaker and stripe on it and changed the red to white. It's not perfect, but gives you a rough idea of how it would look.
I couldn't even find a decent red car, so if you have some red car pics from that angle, I can try again. I almost gave up on this one, it was so hard. The white shaker blends in a little too much, but I'm not sure how to correct that. Anyway, here it is:
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-98_trans_am_red_orange_metallic_ttii_wheels-copy.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you want a much better idea of what the white shaker on a red car would look like you can paint your current hood with the white stripe and white shaker. Then find some nice red car photos like yours with a stock hood. Photograph your hood at the same angle as the car and with similar lighting. I can then combine the 2 for a very realistic image.

Originally Posted by amean94ta
i was going to try to make my own camaro ss hood for my ta saw a photochop and it was awsome just a flat hood no air indents with the ss scoop
Are you saying you saw a photoshop of the SS scoop on a stock TA hood? Still have the pic? I'd like to see that.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

Originally Posted by tbird31
OMG THAT IS SEX ON WHEELS! That is so incredibly awesome looking...when I get my LS1 formula WS.6 i'm SO doing that! haha...i can't wait till i get my car...lol...someday...damn V6
i stole this idea from jasonww and i am actually planning on doing this, and being the fisrt person with and ls1 trans am with a cowl hood.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00ls1
i stole this idea from jasonww and i am actually planning on doing this, and being the fisrt person with and ls1 trans am with a cowl hood.
I'm not sure what you mean. A regular cowl hood like this blue one?
Something like this Caprice bulge might go well on the TA hood.
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-2003heritagecamaro07-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-caprice.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-caprice-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-caprice-2-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-caprice-3-.jpg  

Old 03-18-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a few pics of shakers I found.
http://www.pontiactransamshakers.homestead.com/
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-ffi-fb106-large-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-customhood-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-04sema4050-1-b.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-1all3shakers-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-04sema4051-1-b.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-18-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

This scoop my work well of the stock TA hood. It is tapered to compliment the hood lines. Don't look at the car, just the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-pontiac_1995_2004_sunfire_promo-1-.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

LT1 shaker.
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-shaker1-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-shaker2-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-shaker3-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-shaker4-1-.jpg  
Old 03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

I'm not sure what you mean. A regular cowl hood like this blue one?
Something like this Caprice bulge might go well on the TA hood.
kind of a mix between both. it would follow the crease in the hood that comes from around the headlight that goes to the back corner of the hood. and will be about a 2-3" higher in the back
Old 03-20-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't really make that white car red. It's pretty easy to change colors, but white is a lack of pigment, so you it's hard to change. I'm not good enough to paint it red in PS and make it look realistic either, so I just found a decent looking red car and grafted the shaker and stripe on it and changed the red to white. It's not perfect, but gives you a rough idea of how it would look.
I couldn't even find a decent red car, so if you have some red car pics from that angle, I can try again. I almost gave up on this one, it was so hard. The white shaker blends in a little too much, but I'm not sure how to correct that. Anyway, here it is:
Excellent Jason! Both the fender extractors and the red TA with the scoop look realistic. I think the combo of stock fender vents and the 2nd gen fender extractors may be a bit too much now that I see it. I was afraid of that, but nothing beats a picture. On the red "heritage", I am still up in the air, but I think it makes me want to pursue a white paint job with the blue stripe.

Sorry to give you a frustrating job, and thanks for your perserverence.
RC
Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I thought that extra heat extractor just didn't blend in at all, style wise. I'd either run it or the stock vents, but not both.

Raleigh TA, all I know is that you have a LS1 4th gen. What color is your car now? TA or Formula? Any pics?

Also, did you make your shaker yourself or buy it?

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-20-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00ls1
kind of a mix between both. it would follow the crease in the hood that comes from around the headlight that goes to the back corner of the hood. and will be about a 2-3" higher in the back
Cowl hoods are pretty hard to do on our cars because the hood curves so much in front and are somewhat bubble shaped with a flat spot on the rear top of the hood. Cowl hoods tend to almost always work well on flat hoods. Do you have any pics or sketches of what your describing? It sounds almost like your going to raise the whole hood, or at least most of it.

I think the front half of the stock hood looks pretty good, it's just that flat spot on the top rear section that really needs something. A shaker, bulge, heat extractor, something.

Another thing, if you measure our hoods real closely you'll see they are only 1/2" less in height compared to the Ram Air hoods. The Ram Air hoods look a lot taller because the sides of the hood doesn't bulge up like the stock hoods. You'll notice the Ram Air sides are flat. I think we could create a cowl induction look if we just pushed down the sides of the hood where it starts to bulge upward near the creases. Can anyone follow that? It's hard to explain.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-20-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

What about a C5-R or Evo style heat/air extractor on the hood? (Evo style might work better)
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HPP
What about a C5-R or Evo style heat/air extractor on the hood? (Evo style might work better)
The thing about those is that the extractors are in the front of the hoods. Our radiators are mounted much more to the rear. If you wanted functional heat extractors on an F-body, they would need to be near the rear of the hood, by the windshield.

If you have pics, lets' see them. I might be thinking of the wrong thing.

Speaking of heat extractors, I did a few PS of a car with them on the sides of the hood along with some different stripe packages. Check these out.
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-hood-vents-blended-chris-1.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-hood-vents-blended-chris-2.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-hood-vents-blended-chris-3.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-hood-vents-blended-chris-3-blue.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-20-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

If anyone wants to see some radical heat extractors, check out these Powertour Camaros. I believe the same thing can be done with the stock TA hoods. I'm not sure I like it, but they are pretty cool looking.
Attached Thumbnails Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-powertour-camaro.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-powertour-camaro-1-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-powertour-camaro-3-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-powertour-camaro-4-.jpg   Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!-powertour-camaro-6-.jpg  

Old 03-20-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone here worked with foam?
I'm thinking about carving some foam to make a hood bulge of some kind. Shape it, add a layer of bondo, sand it, and add a quick coat of paint. Then set it on my hood, wet down the car and snap some shots. Then Photoshop out the edges to make it look like it's molded in.

I'm trying to think of a quick way I can make these so I can knock out several different shapes and styles without costing a lot of money or taking a lot of time.

Once I find something I like, I'll do it up in fiberglass and take my time to make it right.

I figure I'll need to buy a little sander like this.

Anyone have any suggestions or hints?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trans_Am05
personally id like to see a ws6 hood crossed with the 4 ports extractor hood i forgot what it was called, that would be a awsome new hood. id get it if they made one but who knows maybe someone has it custom made already if n e one does please post up some pics
That's like the one for the Grand Prix's. It's called the ASCD "SD Style" Ram Air Hood. Here's a pic.

Quick Reply: Someone please make a different hood for T/A's!