Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Stratches and Swirls with a PC

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratches and Swirls with a PC

I have a 02 Red camaro its got swirls and straches on hood mostly and under some light it looks dull so my question is can i get this out with a portal cable or orbital buffer?? If so can you give me the link of where to get one and what to use to get these swirls and stratches out?? I am using NXT right since ive had the car which has been about 5 months, i have clayed the car and have been using NXT once a week thanks for the help
Old 01-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

i have tried everything by hand and no luck
Old 01-12-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

I liked the results I got with the PC and a combination of Meguiar's professional products.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

My best advice is to get yourself a Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher, some good foam pads, and some good quality polishes, like Menzerna, Einszett or Sonus. www.properautocare.com, http://www.autopia-carcare.com, and www.bettercarcare.com all have excellent write-ups on how to bring life back to your paint, either by hand or with polishers. Bear in mind you will always get better results with a polisher because of the speed and heat generated by the orbiting action.

Once you've polished the swirls out, use NXT (or any wax or sealant) to protect your hard work and you're ready to cruise.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 01-12-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

what pads would i get with it and what wax for swirl and stratches
Old 01-13-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

I got terrific help from meguiarsonline.com I used Meguiars M-83 Dual Action Polish for the worst spots, then followed it with M-81 Hand Polish (using the PC) and also used it on all the surfaces that had light scratches in the clear. I then used NXT wax and then #16 wax to finish, but that's just what worked for me. I got all my pad & speed recommendations from the above referenced site.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

The PC is a nice tool to have for minor paint corrections. It's hard to say if you'll be able to take care of everything without seeing the problem, but I know you'd have a nice improvement.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a real polisher.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by titus
what pads would i get with it and what wax for swirl and stratches
This is what has worked best for me:
Wash
Dry with waffle weave microfiber towel
Clay
Wash again (to get clay residue off)
Dry with waffle weave microfiber towel (I usually wash the towel and dry it while claying, mostly because I only have one waffle weave towel)
Menzerna Intensive Polish with an orange pad
Wipe off residue with 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water mix, using a clean microfiber towel
Menzerna Final Polish II with a white pad
Wipe off residue with just water and a different clean microfiber towel
Blackfire sealant applied by hand
Buff with yet another microfiber towel

It's a lot of work, but I only do all that twice a year. Once you've done it right, upkeep becomes very easy. I haven't tried Blackfire's gloss enhancing spray, but I have some on order and am anxious to use this, as it can be used like a quick detailer. The advantage of this is, you wash and dry the car, then use the spray to get rid of any lingering water spots, and it keeps the sealant in check.

I've also tried layering waxes on top of sealant with mixed results. Theoretically, this gives you protection for your sealant, since waxes evaporate. In my case, it didn't give me the same shine I wanted, so I went back to using Zaino as a sealant, which works well. My only gripe about Zaino is that I have to order it separately from the rest of the stuff I use.

-Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tech
Get a real polisher.

Curious as what you mean by get a real polisher?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

chupr0kabra... Where did you buy your PC? I have nothing going on this weekend and would like to find somewhere local that sells one and give it a shot. Would also need to find some pads for it and maybe some Menzerna products local as well.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered my PC with Pads and the Menzerna from Proper Auto Care on Tuesday and it showed up on my door step this morning. Unfortunately, I've had something come up so I won't get to polish my car like I had planned on.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawgs
chupr0kabra... Where did you buy your PC? I have nothing going on this weekend and would like to find somewhere local that sells one and give it a shot. Would also need to find some pads for it and maybe some Menzerna products local as well.

Lowes might carry it, pads you can get from a paint and body shop. Menzerna, you probably wont find any locally sorry.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hawgs

Bought mine at Lowes, but it is the Porter Cable 7336 orbital sander. It's the exact same tool, just labeled different. It comes with a white pad, but it's not a very good one, as it's pretty small and a little too thick for my taste. As for other pads, Tommy Tool on Airport off I-45 has Milwaukee pads, which aren't bad, though the yellow pad is a little rough. I'm not sure if they sell the backing plate or not.

As for Menzerna, I'm not sure if anyone locally carries it. Most auto paint places carry the 3M products, which I haven't used, but a friend of mine used them on his Grand National and it looks great.

What part of town are you in? I just got a new shipment of Menzerna and such, so I have a little left from my last batch, if you'd like to try it out. Shoot me a PM.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Stratches and Swirls with a PC