Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put turn signals in their to delete of the stock daytime lights that seam to break all the time.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy_ws6
Put turn signals in their to delete of the stock daytime lights that seam to break all the time.
Uhhhhhhhh,
no.

Just get some new lights and put some covers over them and your problem will be solved.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, guess what? My freakin passenger side headlight has stripped it's gear. I've had lots of problems with the drivers side, but not a squeek from the pass. side. So now I'm getting mad again, the headlight project is back at the top of my list.

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but in an effort to actually get these finished, I decided to simplify the design. I'm not going to make the movable shields to give me the high beam. Instead, these will be straight low beam only.

I plan to add some generic lights into the fog light holes to act as a high beam. Which reminds me, does anyone know the legality of that? Is there a height requirement for the high beams?

I think it would only be a factor during the yearly vehicle inspection where they check all the lights, horn and stuff to make sure they work. I may be able to slide on that. I know the cops won't pull me over for it as they won't normally be on, so no one would know.

Anyway, I have to start cutting up sheetmetal.
Later.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Speckterwerks style is the best... someone needs to make a fiberglass piece that bolts in and uses Hella lights speckterwerks style... it would look sick, expecialy on a T/A
Old 09-11-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy_ws6
if you want to shut off your daytime running lights just slightly pull your ebrake up so the light on the dash comes on before you turn the car on and they will stay off. ( the ebrake will not actually be engaged. ) but you will have the annoying BRAKE light on
Old 09-12-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Raven, that's just bad advice and doesn't fix our problem with rocks and moisture. I put new lenses in and then added some some smoked covers. Problem solved.

Cop Car, do you have any nice pics of the Speckterwerks? I only have a few.

On the vettes, they had no choice but to bulge the lights up, due to the small vette headlight area. With the TA there is room to tuck the projector under a stock shaped cover, but just barely. If I have to, I will bulge the cover a little for clearance, but I'm trying not to.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish someone would get this going
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

I bet you could get a fix it ticket since the fixed headlights wouldn't be DOT approved.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by asudecat
I wish someone would get this going
Hey, this is my thread. Who do you think your talking to?
Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I bet you could get a fix it ticket since the fixed headlights wouldn't be DOT approved.
I think I've already discussed that, didn't I?

Anyway, when's the last time a cop pulled you over to check if your headlights had the little "DOT" on it? Me, never. Not anyone I know of either. I see no reason I would even get pulled over in the first place. Besides there will be nothing to fix. I'm basically doing the fixing with the new lights. People with stock lights should get the "fix tickets" because you can't see crap wth the stock lights.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Im talking to everybody. nothing towards you.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just making something for my car. I'm thinking that you have me confused with the guys who were talking about mass producing lights and selling them. Those guys talk about making them and then something happens and it never gets done.

Once I'm done with my lights, that's the end. I may upgrade them down the line to HID if I get the $300 for the bulbs and ballasts, but other than that, I just wanted some advice to design and build the things. It's a challenge alright.

If anyone has a knowledge of fiberglass work, maybe they could go to this thread and help answer some questions.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/380194-anyone-here-work-fiberglass.html
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Well good luck
Old 09-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'm no expert on fibreglass but I think it depends on the material (carbonfiber vs. normal matting) and kind of resin your going to use... my suggestion would be to use aircraft grade aluminum... keeps the weight down while maintaining some rigidity and shouldn't be affected by the heat.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BucFan55
I'm no expert on fibreglass but I think it depends on the material (carbonfiber vs. normal matting) and kind of resin your going to use... my suggestion would be to use aircraft grade aluminum... keeps the weight down while maintaining some rigidity and shouldn't be affected by the heat.
OK, Rockefeller. Why not use titanium while I'm at it?
Think of it done on a $20 budget. I could probably get some aluminum scrap sheet, but I don't have any way to weld it. Carbon fiber has nothing to do with fiberglass. That's 2 completely different things and theres only one type of resin that I know of.

I may just make the fiberglass housing and then rig up a bulb with a battery charger and run it for about 3 hours and see what happens.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Banned

fugly! It drastically alters the appearance of the nose. Not just fugly, but RICE.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Banned

I am not sure about the latest news is on the design but i def dont think it is rice. Do you own a T/A? Have you had your healdight motors poop out 3 times in a month? Have you had to scrape your knuckles fixing it over and over? He never asked for your opinion on whether it was "rice" or not, simply for suggestions on what everyone would like and what components to use. I personally would love ones the went with the same shape as the headlight cover. Since my car is black i would just smoke it up so it looked like the flip ups.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZEEMAN
I am not sure about the latest news is on the design but i def dont think it is rice. Do you own a T/A? Have you had your healdight motors poop out 3 times in a month? Have you had to scrape your knuckles fixing it over and over? He never asked for your opinion on whether it was "rice" or not, simply for suggestions on what everyone would like and what components to use. I personally would love ones the went with the same shape as the headlight cover. Since my car is black i would just smoke it up so it looked like the flip ups.
Yeah, I do own one. How could you even consider doing this? If your motors are breaking down 3 times a month, you have a problem somewhere.

Again.. another example of the double standard of some fbody owners who are quick to call import drivers rice, but they go ahead and make similar rice worthy mods on their cars.

Hehe.. you didn't ask for my opinion, but I gave it because I thought these lights look really gay. Above all, its not a T/A headlight anymore. And trust me, this if there was a prize for most RICE mod on a fbody, this headlight would take the oscar. Sorry if you or anyone else don't like my comments, but its good to hear all opinions.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Do you guys think this is a nice look?.
No, definitely not. If you want headlights that look like that then don't buy a firebird or T/A. Go buy yourself a Grand Prix or Camaro.

Originally Posted by JasonWW
So what advice do you guys have on what would look best?
The stock lights look best. These lights take away from the design of the car. Don't you respect the fact that a T/A is supposed to have pop up headlights? I am sure you and every other person who reads this message will try to reprimand me and think up of every excuse on why you SHOULD put these lights on. In my frank opinion, people who put mods like this on their cars are totally in the same category as the over the top civic ricer.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Scarano
fugly! It drastically alters the appearance of the nose. Not just fugly, but RICE.
Are you refering to the SLP prototypes?
How could you even consider doing this?
Because the light pattern of the stock sealed beams suck, you can't go HID if you wanted to and the damn motors are always breaking. Even when they are working they make an ugly sound when they open and close.
If I wanted to, I could put some projectors into the stock bulb location and then swap the motors with linear actuators. It would be like a stock upgrade. You are welcome to do that if you want, but I want to make some fixed lights for my car.
Sorry if you or anyone else don't like my comments, but its good to hear all opinions.
If you have some hints on welding or fabricating or such, please add to this discussion, but your negative attitude has already been expressed (practically verbatim) by countless others. Your a day late and a dollar short.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Banned

Fucken canadians. So since the new C6 has fixed headlights it is a rice machine? I hate the noise of my headlights and hate holding my breath everytime i have to turn them on and off. I have already ownded 2 camaros. I am with Jason, it is more for performance of the light than look.

Quick Reply: Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion