Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not going to call anyone names nor do I use the term Ricer. That's all negative, we don't need that.

I actually think the C6 lights look kind of ugly. They're not bad, but GM could have designed them a bit differently to improve the looks. At least they went with projectors. I don't know what company makes them or which model projector GM is using, but even a lesser projector is better than our old sealed beams.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont generally throw that term around but he started it. I dont like how many lights there are, kinda cluttered. The projectors are bad *** though.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZEEMAN
Fucken canadians. So since the new C6 has fixed headlights it is a rice machine? I hate the noise of my headlights and hate holding my breath everytime i have to turn them on and off. I have already ownded 2 camaros. I am with Jason, it is more for performance of the light than look.
Where do you get off making a racist coment like that? You little child. What do you want to hear me say -- the lights are great, I love them, yeah go for it, they look awesome. Seems thats what you want to hear or I might risk being referred to as a f** Canadian? Go f* yourself kid.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'm not going to call anyone names nor do I use the term Ricer. That's all negative, we don't need that.
Nobody seems to like the term "ricer" when its directed at them. The status quo here seems to suggest that its ok to use the term loosely against import owners but not your own posse. I really don't like riced up imports, but I'm fair and a straight shooter too, so I won't hesitate to point it out on American muscle cars either. If you can't take the heat, then grab some tissues and stay outta the kitchen. Sorry to hurt anyones "feelings"
Old 09-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

Canadian is not a race "kid", it is a nationality. Therefore by calling you a fucken canadian would not be racist. I dont give a damn what you say. This man has put hours upon hours of work into these headlights. For you to come in and put in your negative .02 is just shitty of you.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Right, so everybody has opinions (some more than others). That's great. So about these headlights, anybody made good ones yet?

Personally, I would like to take the chance to improve the lines that Pontiac should have in the first place. If you look at the light covers closed, you can see that the airdam was cut larger than the cover. I would like to fab some pieces that continue the line of the hood all the way to the ridge of the airdam in front of the light covers for smoother lines.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

some one PLEASE make a kit thats under 600 bucks

it will sell like hotcakes!!!

we alwasy get these threads a few times a year, but nothing ever comes out of it.

-Brandon
Old 09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is what aggravates me, people chiming in with opinions when this thread is for advice on the style and construction methods. I end up with a long thread of mostly jibber jabber that people have to sift through just to get to the good stuff.

To anyone who thinks a fixed light is bad, but you still want better lighting, go here:
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=1

The pics are missing from the thread, so here are some I saved.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-483583_16_full-2-.jpg   Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-483583_17_full-1-.jpg   Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-483583_21_full-1-.jpg   Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-483583_43_full-1-.jpg   Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-483583_35_full-2-.jpg  

Old 09-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Banned

Guys, I just wanted to take a moment to apologize for being a bit of a dick and referring to the OP's new T/A headlights as rice. As I was examing the following diagram (Exhibit A) I realized I wasn't seeing things in proper perspective, and that no fbody owner on this board should be given the term ricer.

http://www.ricecop.com/view_gpic.php...=000679-03.jpg

And now Exhibit B:

http://www.ricecop.com/view_gpic.php...p=000628-2.jpg

Forgive me my brothers..
Old 09-30-2005, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

JasonWW....LOOKS SO AWESOME!!!!!

Can you take a pic of it 25' from a wall?? I would love to see the cutoff....

I have to do this!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 70Stang
JasonWW....LOOKS SO AWESOME!!!!!

Can you take a pic of it 25' from a wall?? I would love to see the cutoff....
I'm guessing you are refering to VVS6's car that I posted some pics of above? If you go to his thread, you can ask him directly.

I can tell you that he is using the Bosch E46 low beam projectors. After a lot of researching I found them to be the best, so that's what I'm using in my project as well. They have a very sharp cutoff. The lens is polished clear without any cloudiness or freznell cuts added like some other projectors. To get a sharp cutoff you need a clear lens and a properly angled cutoff shield. You can reshaped the cutoff line to whatever you want.

Keep in mind that ZKW makes the newer BMW E46 projectors and there is also a Bosch Bi-xenon E-46 projector. These 2 will look different and are not quite as nice as the older Bosch E46 that I'm using. It can be confusing because they sound similar. Anyway, this is what my Bosch E46 looks like from further away. These pics are with HID bulbs, but even with modded H7 Silverstars the light beam is the same, just not as bright. Notice the fat color band at the cutoff line. You get that with Silver stars as well. It makes the lights look blue or purple if that part of the light hits you in the eyes. It creates a nice color twinkle from a distance. A lot of other projectors don't have that.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-bosch_e46-cutoff_watermarked-1-.jpg   Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-dsc020826yl-1-copy.jpg   Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-dsc020909fa-1-copy.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-30-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Bringing it back from the dead, what's the status on the lights? I like the design of these lights and would be interested in them if they ever came to market.
TA's have always looked mean...until the lights are on. FLipping up the lamps just disrupt the lines of the car.

Thanks

-J-
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loloone
Bringing it back from the dead, what's the status on the lights? I like the design of these lights and would be interested in them if they ever came to market.
TA's have always looked mean...until the lights are on. FLipping up the lamps just disrupt the lines of the car.

Thanks

-J-
Agreed Would like lights like the 1998 Firehawk prototypes.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I typed a huge response, but it got lost. I can't type it again.

Basically I had to redesign the whole thing. It'll get done eventually. Right now the lights are up and the fuse is pulled.

Right now I'm all about getting a PC in the car.
I'm going for a 10":

but my backup is a 7" widescreen:

So the lights are on the backburner.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Dude! You Rock!

I have been thinking about doing that for a while now without the courage (or money) to try. I also would have wanted my pc to replace the ac controls, though it does look pretty cool the way you did it.

How did you do it? Is there a different thread about it?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't bought a screen yet. The 10" ($280) pic is from a guy named Firebird on the MP3CAR.com forum. He relocated the A/C controls to the glovebox which is pretty easy to do. I would like to motorize my screen to lift out and then up and then have the A/C controls in the stock location just recessed a bit.
If I can't do it, I can take the easier route and mount the 7" ($260) screen.

More F-body info here, feel free to join in.
http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50883
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33407
http://carpc.meissenation.com/
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34110
Old 11-02-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont like it.. i think it looks like a slant eyed import :X
Old 11-03-2005, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I don't know about things poping out and sliding around. That seams like complexity for its own sake. I guess I want to do this for a reason most don't. I'm a computer guy, so my nature is to try to put a computer in everything. I wonder if I could cram a $150 15" LCD computer moniter in there? Ok, maybe not, but $280 for a 10" pisses me off in comparison. Oh well, I knew custom electronics wouldn't be cheap. Maybe I can hide a small laptop in there...
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve2001sh
Yeah, I don't know about things poping out and sliding around. That seams like complexity for its own sake. I guess I want to do this for a reason most don't. I'm a computer guy, so my nature is to try to put a computer in everything. I wonder if I could cram a $150 15" LCD computer moniter in there? Ok, maybe not, but $280 for a 10" pisses me off in comparison. Oh well, I knew custom electronics wouldn't be cheap. Maybe I can hide a small laptop in there...
You must not have followed these prices. A crappier version of a similar screen adapted front some other application used to run about $700-$1000. Prices have come way down. Believe me, $250-$300 for a small VGA touch screen is a bargain. The reason they have gotten so cheap is that they are now being made specifically for car applications.
Opus makes a good 150w dc-dc power supply as well. It is a smart unit that can control the computer as well as handle cranking without loosing power. It was made specifically for car applications. Stuff like that didn't exist a few years ago.

Laptops aren't a good choice because they are not upgradable. Some folks use them but they aren't worth the expense really. That guy Firebird pulled a 10" screen off of a laptop and installed it into the stock hole. It's the first pic I showed. He then added a touchscreen overlay and relocated the A/C controls to the glovebox. Check the pics below.

If you want a bigger screen than the 7" wide screen, you'll have to find a place for the climate controls. The cable for the middle **** is complex and not easily lengthened.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-ac-glovebox.jpg   Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion-snootch-2-.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 11-03-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the T/A example much much better than the vette examples.

Quick Reply: Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion