Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

clay bar residue question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clay bar residue question

what's the best solvent to remove clay bar residue? I had a bad first experience with the bar and have some residue on some areas and going over them with the bar and lube isn't working very well. what solvent could I use and not damage the clear coat?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:34 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well this is going to sound weird but I was told by the guy at sears who I was having a conversation with one day that plain white toothpaste is good for removing any left over residue. good luck (I am in no way sure if this is true or not, use at your own risk)
Old 04-12-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yak
well this is going to sound weird but I was told by the guy at sears who I was having a conversation with one day that plain white toothpaste is good for removing any left over residue. good luck (I am in no way sure if this is true or not, use at your own risk)
That doesn't sound good to me, tooth paste has abrasives. I was thinking of maybe kerosene, wd 40, or acetone...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:45 PM

WD40, Kerosene, Acetone.....................................UMMMMM MMMM NO!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What brand of clay and lube are you using? Spray some of the lube on the area and wipe it with a microfiber towel, just as you would a quick detailer. Keep in mind, too, that you'll need to wash the entire car again after you clay, so that should remove any streaking the clay may cause.

Josh
Old 04-12-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

If it doesn't just wash off (you should always wash the car after claying), you could try a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water and a microfiber towel. Maybe even white vinegar and water. If possible, use distilled water with either of the above.

-Mike
Old 04-12-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josh
What brand of clay and lube are you using? Spray some of the lube on the area and wipe it with a microfiber towel, just as you would a quick detailer. Keep in mind, too, that you'll need to wash the entire car again after you clay, so that should remove any streaking the clay may cause.

Josh
I used Zaino clay bar. I did wash it afterwards and I still have allot of clay residue. I was very careless when claying the car. I'll try 50/50 alcohol distilled water, hope that works.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i leave a little residue i go over it again with the clay bar and it seems to take care of it
Old 04-12-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always use eagle1 wax/polish to remove the residue.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ddelallata
I always use eagle1 wax/polish to remove the residue.
Do you use this stuff right after you claybar or wash it then use it??
Old 04-12-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use it right after cleaning the paint's finish with clay. I usually wash the car, clay, and wax/polish. Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Launching!

I have the same crap. I was going to use dawn and hope that works.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frontman
Dawn worked for me....
Old 04-13-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frontman
I tried rewashing with Dawn and it didn't work. I have some solvent based bug and tar remover, I'm going to try that. I did Z2 a section and it seemed to take care of it but I want to start with Z1 after the car is totally clean of wax or polish...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Use more lube when you clay. Better to over lubricate than under. I use quick detailer when I clay, and I use lots of it. Also, don't clay in the sun, make sure you are in the shade. At most, you should only need to clay twice a year. I did mine originally, got lots of crap off it, then 6 months later, there was very little build up. Getting set for my spring clean here soon, if I get the chance, and some nice weather.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Uh I'm not qutie sure what you're talking about, but if you're talking about the residue that's left EVERYWHERE you clay you have to wipe that off. Just use a little elbow grease.

Everytime I clay when it lube dries it's a white looking residue that I just wipe off with a microfiber.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just to talked to Sal, he said you never have to wash your car with Dawn, you can Z1 then Z2 right over the existing coats. He also told me that the Z2 or Z5 should take the residue off. We'll see tonight...
Old 04-13-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssPetess
I just to talked to Sal, he said you never have to wash your car with Dawn, you can Z1 then Z2 right over the existing coats. He also told me that the Z2 or Z5 should take the residue off. We'll see tonight...
That's for Zaino which you can apply over and over again. Not everyone uses Zaino, so what I do is wash my car with dawn first to get all previous wax/polish off.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

toothpaste?!?!?!?!?!?!? no frigin way. unless you leave the clay residue there for a while the clay bar itself will remove it. if the left over has been left on for a while and has been exposed to sun where it has become hard. make sure the car is in the shade and cool as well as clean. use a spot remover that is just for cars. spotter works well, use a small amount and let the chemical do the job try not to press too hard. the spotter will remove any type of wax that is there. so you will have to re-wax that area. stay away from any thing that is not for cars such as dawn and toothpaste. please don't listen to those "ideas" also finaly inspection by meguires works well too with a SOFT detail brush. if you don't won't to try any of those good old fashion warm water will losen it up not boiling but warm. good luck man.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Launching!

I used nxt out of the spray bottle when i did the clay bar if that matters. I thought i was using alot of it but i guess the marks come from not using enough? Anyway, hope it comes out this weekend. If the dawn doesn't work i'll try a cleaner wax.

Quick Reply: clay bar residue question