Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

mecham hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mecham hood

i saw the mecham hood for the trans am. i want it really bad so i did some research on it. i found that on a few forums ppl were talkn bout it being poorly built and that its a piece of junk. then some ppl were sayin how their mecham hood cracked and it was ruined. if anyone knos nething bout the mecham hood please reply. is it really a piece of crap?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:34 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine off a wrecked Mecham and it had lots of work that needed to be done to it from the wreck, so I don't know how bad they are from Mecham directly (surely can't be worse than when I got it tho!) But to get it fixed and painted costed me about $500 not bad considering I now have about $700 in the hood all together... This post probably doesn;t help you much does it?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

they lok great, but ive heard the same thing
Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Launching!

i've heard the quality stinks to.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

make sure you take it to a good body shop that realizes they're going to need to do some work to fit it before they paint it.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

a 1000 dollar hood shouldn't need another 500 in work to it. same as the breathless headlights. i absoutely love the look of both, but neither are worthy of the price for the quality
Old 05-24-2005, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

We have two in out club a z29R and a T/a and the glass does seem to have some stress cracks on the wings but not on the hoods....
Attached Thumbnails mecham hood-p1010108.jpg  
Old 05-25-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

I had the Mecham hood on my old ta (a 99 - see link in sig for pics). It costs a *lot* of money in prep work to get the hood ready to paint. And once it's on there, it is *very* delicate. I ended up with stress fractures in several places along the leading edge, and I'm damn careful with my cars.

There's a reason I sold that hood *with* the old car and got the new car with an "upgraded" hood from GM...
Old 05-25-2005, 10:09 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
a 1000 dollar hood shouldn't need another 500 in work to it. same as the breathless headlights. i absoutely love the look of both, but neither are worthy of the price for the quality
I think you misunderstood my post. I got mine off a WRECKED t/a that had been hit on the front fender causing the hood to get a lot of stress cracking on that side. No way would a new $1000 hood need near quite as much work as this one did! And that $500 I paid was for the work AND paint...
Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChevyChadZ28
[snip]No way would a new $1000 hood need near quite as much work as this one did! And that $500 I paid was for the work AND paint...
You'd be surprised...
Old 05-25-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Go review Mecham's hood quality from previous posts. Ive seen Shane and some others post on this subject before, and the same general feeling comes about. Hood looks great, takes some time to fit right and quality blows.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

alright thanks for all that, i just love the way the hood looks on the t/a. it sucks that its made outta fiberglass and its a piece of ****. i really wanted it too. i was gunna put it on a normal t/a. i would put a ram air hood on a normal trans am but i dont want to be like the people who try to pass there car off as the real thing, in other words i wouldnt want to clone a ws6. now i dont kno what to do cuz i cant afford a *nice* ws6, and i dont like the hood on the t/a. i dont like camaros that much and my brother has a mustang gt and i want somethin different. if there are ne other hoods out there that look good on the t/a and arent pieces of **** let me kno. ne ideas on what i should do?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smg32208
alright thanks for all that, i just love the way the hood looks on the t/a. it sucks that its made outta fiberglass and its a piece of ****. i really wanted it too. i was gunna put it on a normal t/a. i would put a ram air hood on a normal trans am but i dont want to be like the people who try to pass there car off as the real thing, in other words i wouldnt want to clone a ws6. now i dont kno what to do cuz i cant afford a *nice* ws6, and i dont like the hood on the t/a. i dont like camaros that much and my brother has a mustang gt and i want somethin different. if there are ne other hoods out there that look good on the t/a and arent pieces of **** let me kno. ne ideas on what i should do?

i dont think that putting a ram air hood on your ta would be trying to pass it off as something else, it is an excellent appearance mod to a TA. dont put WS6 tags on it and in my opinion you will be fine, at least in my book. if i had a regular TA i would probobly put the hood on it, as i would have if i had gotten a Z28(SS hood)

just my .02.
Louie
Old 05-25-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd have put the ram air hood on my '98 T/A, but I was too broke as a 19yr old back then to afford it. As long as you're not putting the WS6 emblems on it, I wouldn't consider it as a clone.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default mecham hood

u can actually contact dennis mecham and he will make the hood out of carbon fiber for you and that way it wont stress crack. and the nostrils are actually a little bigger now giving it that mean ram air look. i just got one and man it cooks.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smg32208
Wouldn't you still be "cloning" the mecham macho T/A's?

Unless you badge it or start saying you have #3445 of 102398439 no one is going to accuse you of cloning a WS6.

Just pick a hood based on what you think looks the best. Oh and try to buy something that is a quality piece too lol.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by turbotransam09
u can actually contact dennis mecham and he will make the hood out of carbon fiber for you and that way it wont stress crack. and the nostrils are actually a little bigger now giving it that mean ram air look. i just got one and man it cooks.
Gotcha...so you can send Mecham *more* money over his already overpriced hood, and he'll make one out of a material that can stand up to his crappy design? And you have to trust that his actual build quality will be better too. I wouldn't be willing to make that sort of gamble with my money seeing how bad his fiberglass hood has been.

Just my .02...
Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shane
Gotcha...so you can send Mecham *more* money over his already overpriced hood, and he'll make one out of a material that can stand up to his crappy design? And you have to trust that his actual build quality will be better too. I wouldn't be willing to make that sort of gamble with my money seeing how bad his fiberglass hood has been.

Just my .02...
Hey uhh... I got this ocean front property you fellas might be interseted in...
Old 04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol..
Old 04-05-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isnt a sponsor or somebody on here supposed to being making a stronger knockoff version of the mecham hood?

Quick Reply: mecham hood