Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

AARGH! effin' caliper paint mission!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AARGH! effin' caliper paint mission!

I've got Maple Red Metallic on my TA... It's very rare around Miami and it was produced in very low numbers for TA's everywhere. In contrast, its Camaro color variant is pretty popular- Monterey Red Metallic, I believe, though I don't think they're EXACTLY the same with a closer look. I've used the search button already, trust me... Everybody with stories about how they painted their calipers but not where they got their paint for factory colors.

For instance, some people on this forum have beautiful SOM TA's and Camaro's with matching SOM paint for their calipers. Where can this be found?

VHT and G2 caliper paints and other high temperature engine/brake paints seem to only offer one red, of course, real red or bright red or... plain jane red... looks nice on Bright Red, Pewter, etc. TA's... but would look AWFUL on my car with black ZR1's and dark red body color. If I had a Bright Red Metallic TA I wouldn't have this problem! I would just paint them red then. I really want the calipers on my car to match my body color.

I have VHT gloss black paint ready to go... I guess it would look okay... matches my wheels, I suppose. I really would love the calipers to match my body color though! Is this possible for me?

Monterey Red Metallic Camaro's chime in please! What have you guys done with your calipers in terms of paint, or would do?

Please tell me before I just paint them black...

Thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be able to get some paint from your dealership. If not, try duplicolor.com's matchmaker.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

dude all you have to do is check your paint code inside the drives side door then go to napa and tell them your code them bam you got the whole hook up in one stop...if you do not know your paint code then ask them to look for it for you,they'll be more then happy to help you ,and also get the paint with the clear in it already
Old 05-31-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1POWER98
dude all you have to do is check your paint code inside the drives side door then go to napa and tell them your code them bam you got the whole hook up in one stop...if you do not know your paint code then ask them to look for it for you,they'll be more then happy to help you ,and also get the paint with the clear in it already
Well, I've gotta give myself some credit, I always knew THAT...

I believe my color code is 44U? Who cares, I can look it up later here on the 'net...

I can get touch up and general purpose paints by color code in a variety of places, I know. However, I'm looking for Engine/Caliper high temp. paint. At the auto parts store where I got my VHT, the gentleman that works there told me they only had red, blue, yellow, black, and lime colors for high temp. engine/caliper paint. I'll keep trying, I guess, but thanks anyways...
Old 05-31-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
You should be able to get some paint from your dealership. If not, try duplicolor.com's matchmaker.
I will most certainly try.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

simple fix------just polish them
Old 05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh, I don't know if you will be able to find a good match for your factory paint in the high temp variety. I polished my calipers and painted my pad brackets with some Dupli-color factory matched spray and it's holding up perfectly though. I just cleaned them up and sprayed it on with no clear or anything. I'm thinking about going back and sanding the brackets smooth and repainting though because there is so much metallic content in the paint.

Good luck! Here's mine with Cayenne Red Metallic:

Old 05-31-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Is this the general sentiment? How many others have used regaular paint for calipers instead of high temp. paint?

I've heard some horror stories about using regular paint, viz. they look nice at first and then get choppy/flaky.

LS1 Sounds: Your caliper brackets do look pimp, though! I can't believe that's regular paint! How long have they kept up like that? There's no point in buying high temp. paint if reg. can last and look like that... If that's the case, then maybe I will just factory code some regular paint, paint dem calipers, and have this dilemma over with. I just hope it doesn't fall apart. Thanks again!

I know there are a couple of SOM Camaro's with SOM calipers on this forum... I wish I remembered who they are! Camaro's in question, please chime in!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I painted my calipers on April 17th if I remember right and they still look like new. BTW, here is a collection of painted calipers if you want to peek around for any ideas:

http://public.fotki.com/jaime302/car...rake_calipers/
Old 06-01-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted mine with high temp black, then layed the color I wanted over that was non high temp paint.

been holding up just fine.

I would say go find a high temp black or silver or whatever then get some of the exact match of your paint and paint over it.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blackbird
I painted mine with high temp black, then layed the color I wanted over that was non high temp paint.

been holding up just fine.

I would say go find a high temp black or silver or whatever then get some of the exact match of your paint and paint over it.

Damn... That sounds like a good idea... I never thought of that...

Good idea, thanks!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here you go

I was a little sad mine didn't make the Brake Caliper Album

You should be able to fine high temp engine primer. Thats what I used

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=SOM+calipers
Old 06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's up there! I did a bunch of research to figure out what I wanted to do to my calipers, then after I decided I stopped saving pictures.

Quick Reply: AARGH! effin' caliper paint mission!