Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LC pads are pissing me the fuck off!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LC pads are pissing me the **** off!!!!!!!!

I got my PC a while ago and have used the LC pads about 12 times. The velcro sheet on the back of the pads is falling off and the pads are literally falling apart. I have washed them after use and kept them in plastic bags. Are these pads just junk, or are the other brands the same way? Is there a better set of pads out there to buy?

Please help
Robert
Old 06-18-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

how are you washing them? i use Lake country pads for my PC and rotary, i've had good luck.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Mine do the same thing. Wash them a few times (with just water), and the pads will start to fall off when your using them. I always just figured it was time for new ones anyway.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Have not had problems with the Lake County pads.

The Lake County pads are the first choice for many. I really like the Meguairs pads.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

i use water and dawn soap.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone know how long they are suppose to last?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow, I haven't heard of anyone having this problem. I've been using these pads (purchased on properautocare) for a couple years now, and the only problems I've ever had were self-induced.

I wash mine in the sink, by hand. Basically, I fill the sink with soapy water, then squeeze the pads while under water, making sure to get soap into the pores. Once I have them all full of soap, I drain the sink and start a steady stream of cool water, then squeeze them under that stream to get the soap out. Once all the soap is out, I squeeze as much water out of them as I can, then I hang them to dry. I put some bicycle hooks on the wall in my garage and hang each one on its own hook. For the 6" pads (I mostly use the 7.5" pads), I set them pad side up on a shelf. My white pads last about a year and my orange pads tend to last a bit longer than that. My black/red pads last about 9 months, but I haven't been using them as much lately, so my current black is about 18 months old.

Maybe if you tell us a little more about how you're using, washing and drying them.

I saw that you use Dawn and water, but how are you agitating (i.e. getting the soap into the pores) them?

Is it all your pads, or just one or two?

What color pads? The red and black pads don't tend to hold up as long because they aren't as dense and they tend to tear a little easier.

When you use them, are you keeping them wet or are you applying polish with a dry pad?

Are you polishing around any sharp corners (like the rear license plate)? I shredded an orange pad on my wife's car because I caught the corner of the front plate. Once a tear starts, it's going to spread fast.

-Mike
Old 06-19-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I clean my pads the same way you do.
My orange fell apart the first time I used it
My yellow just fell apart
May white one fell apart too.
My red and black have no problems but they dont see any speeds past 4.
I will be polishing or cleaning or compounding on speed 6 and it literally heats the back of the pad up so much that the adhesive melts away and causes the backing to come off of the pad. From there, the backing plate digs into the pad and rips it apart.
I start polishing by spraying the pad twice with detail spray.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

has anyone used the Sonus DAS pads and the Sonus SFX pads? What differences did you notice with them?