Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

fight the "neon is r*ce" shit

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a difference between doing what you want to your car and being distasteful. Muscle car owners dont expect huge wings, body kits, and neon lights. Imports do. We still have guidelines for these appearance items. If a 4 foot wing is bolted on the back of a V6 mustang which wears an SVT badge, we can clearly see that it was not executed tastefully, even if that is the look the owner wanted. Now, it does matter that the owner is happy, but to the rest of the drivers on the road, that car does not fit the category and WILL appear ugly. Everyone possesses a certain fashion sense. We can tell when something does not fit and we have a right to an opinion. Now, we cant say its wrong and that the owner is not allowed to do such mods, but we can clearly dictate the car as distasteful to its heritage/make/model/breed/type/ whatever.
Thus when people name a car "ricey" its because it has met some of those standards/qualities of an import. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, although the name is somewhat condesending. Some "ricers" are clean, painted well, and fast. Whichever way you wanna look at it.

Now, I strongly disagree with phony badges on a car no matter what. I dont condone clones, but some people arent even attempting to duplicate a certain trim of a car and just buy the sticker/decals/badges. You may as well be considered a bad sport. People purchase those models for a reason, and the manufacturer seperates them from the regular models for a reason too.

So as said before, do what you want, but dont get upset when people judge it a certain way.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that everyone has the right to an opinion about others cars, otherwise I wouldn't give all the ricers the "What the hell were you thinking?!" smirk. But I do think the term "Ricey" is thrown around much too loosely around here considering 80% + of the cars on here make twice as much horsepower as the dumbest looking ricer you probably know of.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Luna
Heres how I feel about it if its YOUR car do what YOU want to it if someone else thinks its "Ricey" who cares does it have an LS1 under the hood? Yes?! Well hey thats not rice! Do what YOU like to YOUR car and if other people don't like it then thats why they have their car to mess with or not mess with. If you wanna bitch about rice go find a 1.6L Honda with Red strobe lights, stickers with a buncha **** thats not in their car, unpainted body kits, and 10 foot tall airplane wings crudely bolted to a now dented trunk. But even then its their car... I just hate that little putter putter FART! sound they make...
just to stir up things a little more...
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560070

so...not..rice? sorry i had to. i don't really mind neon, it's just another way to customize. to each their own, right?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PSYKOZ28
I have seen them on some cars that look good but mostly I think of them as rice, cant explain it but the neons are associated with imports therefore I am turned off by the thought of neons on a domestic vehicle.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had many, many reservations....and still do, but for an American Muscle car, NEON isn't the ticket, but I do have a small thin neon strip between my (2) fiberglass shells for nightime (on/off) only. If I never mentioned it, you'd never know it existed, so "subtlety" is the name of the game.

I've seen way too many austentatious vehicles loaded w/NEON and so you have to reach a personal decision. Most F-body enthusiasts would say NAY, but many open-minded ppl would appreciate the extra effort and appearance.

Bottom-line......WTF cares what anyone thinks so long as YOU are happy with the vehicle. Everything else is secondary!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Neon lights = zero respect instantly. Plenty of immediately follows.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I think neon lights only look good when used on a custom stereo system, but that is on the INSIDE of the car. I've seen some nice plexi amp racks and such with tasteful neon usage.

On the outside of the car, that **** was cool back in 1990. Not so much now.

Tire Flys RULE though!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

thats fine with me...i just hate the word rice...im not trying to MAKE everyone like neons...its just the principal. YES i agree...to much of something can be bad...im not saying its cool to light your car up like a christmas tree...just dont be so quick to judge because you hear the word "neons"! ***And dont just make an opinion based on what everyone else is saying.*** if you like them GREAT if not GREAT...just be your own person and dont hate!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

neons under the cars came out before rice did. It was the mini-truckers who started it first. Like I said, mini-trucks were THE scene in 1990.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed some neons in the footwell under the dash and inside the AC vents. You wouldn't even know its there during the day until that blue glow at night. I like the way it goes with my Autometer C2s and reverse glow gauge cluster. But thats just my opinion.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I think neon lights are great if installed cleanly and with the right colors. I wouldn't drive around the streets with them but definitely great to catch eyes at a showing or meet. To each his own

Frankly I gotta laugh when people try use the term "rice" in a serious way

Here's my rice
Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting neon lights on a true American Muscle Car classic only disrupts the balance. American Muscle cars and and their tradition are what seperates us from the ricer world. I could only imagine what all of the older owners of the 60's and 70's Camaros and Firebirds are saying now. "Its a shame what they are doing to an American Classic putting those neon lights"
Old 07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

This is a losing battle. Each to his own!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Pointless...

Exactly what this post is. If you are tired of seeing the Rice fights then why post up? All this post is going to do is start the fight between people. Keep it to yourself. Ever hear the phrase, "Rattling the cage"?

This place is turning in to LS1.com.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm more leaning toward the show car look right now. I just like to cruise around town at night so I like it. I get lots of complements and the only people who dislike it here are the rival car clubs that don't do anything except talk sh** 24/7 anyways. I think if you do it right, accents like that can look very good. I'm just bored of a pitch black interior at night.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rice:

All the glow is coming from the 5 LEDs that I have recessed into my headliner (there's only one other person that's done this, and I told him how to do it lol), an LED that's in my door panel, and then one LED-replacement in each map light. All in all, the only LEDs you really see are the ones in the door panel, and that was because I put them there to standout. And yes, that IS my CD player in my sunvisor in the last picture.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have always liked your "rice" meisenation. I too have thought about mounting LEDs in the headliner because you still can't see much with the interior lights on. People may say its "rice" but I'm gonna have a one of a kind interior when I'm done.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha thanks bro, I appreciate a comment other than "omg thats rice!" haha. Yeah, the "ambient lighting" mod really helps to light up the car, and no one notices until it's dark and I turn them on, then they're all like "whoa! f*** where did the light come from?!" haha. I have it wired to the dome light, so they come on when the interior lights are turned on, and when the door is opened. I plan to add more, quite possibly to have it so that the entire interior is lit up rather than just down the center console and each side of the door controls. Time will tell.

Although, I have to admit I definitely do not consider it rice having my CD player's 9 foot extension of the faceplate and having the faceplate mounted in my sunvisor while the rest of the unit is in my glove box. I think that's just plain pimp.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had subframe connectors welded in so no future owner would be tempted to put neons in those channels. But I think my SS should just be simple, tatseful performance. If I had a black WS6 or something that was already obnoxious and in your face, I might consider neons for a brief moment.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by meissenation
Haha thanks bro, I appreciate a comment other than "omg thats rice!" haha. Yeah, the "ambient lighting" mod really helps to light up the car, and no one notices until it's dark and I turn them on, then they're all like "whoa! f*** where did the light come from?!" haha. I have it wired to the dome light, so they come on when the interior lights are turned on, and when the door is opened. I plan to add more, quite possibly to have it so that the entire interior is lit up rather than just down the center console and each side of the door controls. Time will tell.

Although, I have to admit I definitely do not consider it rice having my CD player's 9 foot extension of the faceplate and having the faceplate mounted in my sunvisor while the rest of the unit is in my glove box. I think that's just plain pimp.
I like it. Makes it look like the interior is on fire

Quick Reply: fight the "neon is r*ce" shit