Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

jb weld question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default jb weld question

ok this question does pertain to the app and detail section. i was wanting to shorten the studs on a grill emblem and have heard stuff about jb weld. will this stuff work and hold for a long time or is it like superglue only good up to a point? i am wanting to cut of the studs of the emblem and attach shorter ones is jb weld the way to go? please post your experiences with jb weld.

thanks
dustin
Old 07-16-2005, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

I think it'll work . Just let it set up good .
Old 07-16-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

JB Weld is awesone stuff. I have fixed a lot of thinge with it. It will work!!
Old 07-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Used it for a temporary fix for a stripped o2 sensor bung on a set of hooker LT's. It held the sensor on an area that got up to 312 degrees for a couple of weeks. It will DEFINITELY hold the emblem studs on.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it be possible to simply shorten the studs you have on there now? Shorten them with a careful application of hacksaw technology? Perhaps a boltcutter and file? Cutoff wheel and file?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

i thought about just shortening the studs but the threads for the bolts are just on the ends. the emblem is of off a 96 camaro, and it evidently need long studs to fit through the grill. i do not know how to rethread a bare stud.

dustin
Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's simple to thread a rod. Get die and holder at your local Sears outlet. Take in a nut/bolt combo of the same size and ask the guy behind the counter for assistance if you need it. Be sure to get somebody that really knows something if there is one there.

The die cutters get progressively smaller until they reach the proper size listed on the die. Simply thread the die over the existing threads and they will begin cutting as they reach rod larger than the threads you are cutting. Use plenty of oil for lubricating, it will make things easier and won't put as much stress on the bolt-to-item grill connection.

Cut a little...back off...cut a little more...back off. Spritz on more oil. Repeat as required. The die won't cut all the way to the bottom of the rod since the cutters there aren't the final size.

You may want to get some long bolts to put in your vise and practice on. That would be a great confidence builder.

Good luck.

I have no idea how much the tools would cost, but it may save you a lot of frustration in the long run by not having to fool with JB weld on the existing part.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:13 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you not just take the studs out then put a washer or spacer behind them and then put them back in. That way they would not stick out as far? Just a thought...
Old 07-18-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why didn't I think of that...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

thanks mr. incredible, my wife works at sears so we get a discount (yea for us), and that is a definate idea, i am kinda leary of just jb welding the studs back on, i am afraid that the emblem will fall off in the future.

chevychad, i am confused? but i am open to all ideas, please explain further, thanks

dustin
Old 07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step 1) take the studs out.

Step 2) put a washer or spacer behind the bumper

Step 3) re-insert the studs

they won't stick out as far because the spacer (or washers) will be behind the bumper and in front of the base of the stud.

I don't know how to explain it any better... I could do a picture I guess if you can't understand...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

ok i think that i understand i that would work except that there is room behind the grill for the studs. the original studs are around 2 inches long and there is only about a 1/2 inch clearance between the grill and the car now, that is why i was wanting to shorten the studs. i have been thinking about drilling holes in the bumper the so that the original studs will fit, but it keep raining here so i have not tried.

thanks for the suggestions
dustin
Old 07-19-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

JB weld is some outstanding stuff. I've fixed an awful lot of things with it from BBQ grills to motorcycles and I've never had anything fail that I'd fixed. They now make a high-temp version, too.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JB weld is the ****, I prefer the JB Weld Kwik but you got to be ready with that stuff cuz it is hard in 5 minutes if you mix it properly.

Quick Reply: jb weld question