Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

swirl marks--I hate 'em

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swirl marks--I hate 'em

I am tired of these damn swirl marks!

The paint on my '69 is excelent except for those nasty swirl marks. I first tried using Zaino Z-5 swirl remover polish. I gave it about 5 coats in a year and noticed no difference at all from before, the swirls were still there. Now I decided to take it to the next level. I used a claybar first, then the new Zaino Z-PC Paint cleaner/swirl remover, then finished up with Z-2 Clearcoat polish. NO DIFFERENCE. I'm tired of spending all this money when its not doing a damn thing. Am I just stuck with these swirls? BTW: I've never used a power buffer on the car.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Don't know if they still make it, but The Wax Shops swirl remover did work.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to invest in a porter cable, believe it or not my black T/A was pretty swirled up, and the PC with sonus pads and the Menzerna IP, and FP II combo, no swirls
It might be a little different for you with the older paint (I'm guessing original? ) but no matter what product you use, unless you drop the PC on the car, you won't mess up the paint, it's incredibly easy to use, and being a random orbit polisher, it duplicates the motion of your hand (only much faster)
This was my first time using a power polisher, and after I was done, I wondered WTF I was so nervous for
Old 08-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Teching In

You cantry 3M Finesse. It looks like elmer's glue all. LOL. It is a mild compound that removes minor scratches, dirt and will probably take care of your swirl problem. After using 3M Finesse, make sure you either use a hand glaze or your favorite wax or polish. Just my 2 cents. I've used finesse and does work great.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Launching!

this makes 2 of us
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Sounds like you need to invest in a porter cable, believe it or not my black T/A was pretty swirled up, and the PC with sonus pads and the Menzerna IP, and FP II combo, no swirls
It might be a little different for you with the older paint (I'm guessing original? ) but no matter what product you use, unless you drop the PC on the car, you won't mess up the paint, it's incredibly easy to use, and being a random orbit polisher, it duplicates the motion of your hand (only much faster)
This was my first time using a power polisher, and after I was done, I wondered WTF I was so nervous for
This man tells the truth. There was a thread about different places to get the porter cable. In the end you may have about $300-400 invested in it total but you're paint will come out looking brand new. It's the best detailing investment I have ever made.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

i use 3m at work and it will take 1200 grit scratches out so it will take swirls out.........i love the stuff
Old 08-24-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html

-Mike
Old 08-24-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 72firebird
This man tells the truth. There was a thread about different places to get the porter cable. In the end you may have about $300-400 invested in it total but you're paint will come out looking brand new. It's the best detailing investment I have ever made.
do you worry about burning the paint on the corners? i've got the ws6, so lots o corners
Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
do you worry about burning the paint on the corners? i've got the ws6, so lots o corners
Nope I have the WS6 too, and no problem with corners, or for that matter any other partt of the car, except under the spoiler on the rear hatch, the PC wouldn't fit, so that was a by hand application
Old 08-24-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

PC orbital buffers don't generate any appreciable heat, so they can't burn paint.

You can either find someone who is capable of removing them for you, or invest in PC, pads, and polishes to do it yourself.

Swirls come from improper mitts, towels, applicators, technique, etc.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought my Porter Cable from Lowe's last weekend (7336 - $109 plus tax) and ordered the V-PAD kit (the one with the Velcro backing plate)from Classic Motoring-properautocare.com-. It should be here Friday so, I'll get to experiment with it this weekend. I'll post pics when I'm done. Having said all that, I had a black '93 Coupe for ten years (sold in '03) which never saw a garage… or a polisher. I always waxed by hand. My process then was Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner (pretty hard to buff by hand), Mirror Glaze #7 Swirl Remover, and finish with Mirror Glaze #26 or Zymol. Worked great! The car always looked like black glass when I was done. The car was never wrecked and all the paint was original. Here's a pic of it just before I sold it with 135k on the clock.

See for yourself.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

is it cheaper to buy the PC at lowes then from one of the sponsors? I need to read the sticky to see what pads and stuff i'd need.

will the PC take out the swirls with any good wax like meguirs or mothers?

or do you still need to get some of the other brands?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

you need to have your car buffed, ask around car shows and see if there is someone who really knows what they are doing out there.

almost all swirl marks cannot be removed by anything other than buffing, becuase they are tons of tiny scratches
Old 08-24-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
is it cheaper to buy the PC at lowes then from one of the sponsors? I need to read the sticky to see what pads and stuff i'd need.

will the PC take out the swirls with any good wax like meguirs or mothers?

or do you still need to get some of the other brands?
Waxes don't remove swirl marks unless they are abrasive.

You need a paint polish to remove swirls...Menzerna, Einszett, Poorboy's, Zaino Fusion, etc.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I asked the paint shop, that painted the car, if they would buff out the swirls and they said that it is pointless because they'll be back next time I detail the camaro. I've only used high quality 100% cotton microfibre towels with Zaino products since it's been painted and followed the instructions very closely so I don't see how the swirls got there in the first place. I guess I'll invest in a PC. Will I ever have to worry about buffing through the clearcoat? Because eventually you'll buff all the clear off, right?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you get rid of swirl marks, the next time you wash your car with a mit, or dry it off, or use a towel with detail spray, it will leave very very fine lines. Theres nothing you can do about it. You can buy everything in the sun and the moon, and once u get rid of them, they will be right back.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69huggerZ
I asked the paint shop, that painted the car, if they would buff out the swirls and they said that it is pointless because they'll be back next time I detail the camaro. I've only used high quality 100% cotton microfibre towels with Zaino products since it's been painted and followed the instructions very closely so I don't see how the swirls got there in the first place. I guess I'll invest in a PC. Will I ever have to worry about buffing through the clearcoat? Because eventually you'll buff all the clear off, right?
They have no idea what there doing then, most body shops employ kids or low lifes at just over minimum wage to detail cars. You need to find someone that knows what there doing with a polisher. Waxes and glazes will only temporarlily hide swirles, use them to protect your work after the polishing.
I like the perfect it III by 3M its not as heat sinsitive as the finesse it and its more user freindly if your learning.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

*Eventually* you'll begin to accumulate minor marring, but using proper supplies and techniques, you should be able to minimize it.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nikeair042
When you get rid of swirl marks, the next time you wash your car with a mit, or dry it off, or use a towel with detail spray, it will leave very very fine lines. Theres nothing you can do about it. You can buy everything in the sun and the moon, and once u get rid of them, they will be right back.
Sounds like you aren't using the right supplies and techniques, like I've mentioned. It's been 9 months since I polished my daily driver, and I have pretty minimal swirling/marring.

Quick Reply: swirl marks--I hate 'em