Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Filling in "Corvette" on FRCs

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Filling in "Corvette" on FRCs

Does anyone know what I should fill the "Corvette" letters in with on my fuel rail covers? I tried a body seam filler and that was a disaster. It needs to be heat resistant, little to non-porous and sandable. I want to fill them in, paint my FRCs and then put some kind of emblem on. I will really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bondo should work fine well that's what alot of people have used anyway.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Bondo will not work fine as it ends up cracking. Use a product called Dynalite, it's more flexible and sands pretty easy. You should also use a glazing putty over top that to feather out the edges of the letters and make it super smooth. Glazing putty also reduces pinholes.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 09-01-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parbreak
Bondo will not work fine as it ends up cracking. Use a product called Dynalite, it's more flexible and sands pretty easy. You should also use a glazing putty over top that to feather out the edges of the letters and make it super smooth. Glazing putty also reduces pinholes.

Bryan
parbreak
I used the same stuff, Dynalite plastic filler.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks a lot all. I have a good plan of attack now. BTW, where would I find the Dynalite and Glazing Putty?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

You can buy Dynalite at Autozone or probably most auto stores. The glazing putty I use is only available at auto paint supply stores.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bryan, I have been trying to use a glazing putty but it is Bondo brand and it cracks. Is the stuff you use different?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Launching!

I posted these pics in a separate thread last week, but don't know if everyone in this thread who helped me got a chance to see them. The quality of the pics is not good and the lighting could have been better. But, I'm really happy with them and really appreciate the help!

These came out awesome! It was a real challenge to get the FRCs right. I almost gave up. It seems like I sanded forever (a true estimate is about 10-12 hours). I actually used some body seam filler 1st - a disaster! Then I had to dig/sand/dremel/etc.. all of that crap out of the "Corvette" letters. Then I used some epoxy and sanded them down after they cured (a couple of days) and painted. They looked terrible! You could still see lots of pinholes and the outline of most of the letters. So, I decided I didn't have $200+ to pay someone else to do it so I started sanding some more. About 3 hours later I painted them white first (wife's idea and it worked great). That filled things in well. Then the NBM. Then the lettering, then lots of coats of clear. The STB is painted Hugger Orange (actually Chevrolet Orange engine enamel) with the NBM lettering.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/vinyl/vinyl.htm

I got the lettering for the FRCs, lid and STB from Brent Franker on his website (above). Brent can do ANYTHING you need. Check his site out, you'll be amazed.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-20-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by No Juice
Bryan, I have been trying to use a glazing putty but it is Bondo brand and it cracks. Is the stuff you use different?

No Juice,

I don't use any Bondo products. The "rough" putty as I call it is the Dynatron Dynalite listed above and I use a product called "Metal Glaze" made by 3M. It's available from Eastwood but is pretty expensive through them. I get it from a local paint shop.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Filling in "Corvette" on FRCs