Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
you and alot of other people in this country
Slow down there.
I am totally for common sense.

I was just pointing out that the acticle you used to support your view just stated that staring at a bright light is a bad idea and that the eyes of older people react slower than the eyes of younger people. Those are both real and unquestioned facts....which apply too all bright lights and peoples eyes. I dont need a study to tell me that. I realize that everytime a flashlight gets aimed at my face. Comfort with different light sources differs from person to person. Do you realize that for a time all vehicles sold in France had to have yellow headlights? The blue element of the light was scaled back. Blue is the most difficult color of light for our eyes to focus on, so they tried to elimate it from the headlight output. This is also why I think blue guages in cars is a really stupid idea. (Not just any blue, but the intense deep-medium blue....like VW.) Your eyes take too long to read the gauge and they never really focus on it anyway, then your eyes have to re-adjust back to the road.

I am not supporting the crappy HID kits either. They scatter a crappy beam pattern of bright light everywhere (Especially up where it is not wanted). If I were to do a HID conversion, I'd use projectors and aim them properly. On the other hand, I can think of other places to spend my time and money. Speaking of which, this thread is starting to get ugly.

BTW,
I am actually starting to have an issue with all oncoming healights at night regardless of their design.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-20-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If thats the case, then unfortunatly you may have to stop driving at night if it gets bad enough. Sucks..
Old 09-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova5
If thats the case, then unfortunatly you may have to stop driving at night if it gets bad enough. Sucks..
I think im several years off from that.
I dont think it will get that bad though.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
You totally missed my point about quality. Quality is a worthless issue to argue about, because it wouldn't matter if you had a top of the line kit that could be found on a Mercedes or some cheap junk you could buy at Autozone: the fact of the matter remains that there's no way to determine how any individual customer is going to USE that kit, and whether they will use it within the guidelines that were specified by the manufacturer. How hard is this to understand?
and you missed mine as these kits were not taken off the market for quality reasons. but were taken off the market because those companies continued to sell the kits afetr the law changed. you stated in an earlier post and i'll quote "banned from making this crap should tell you something" that is a statement of quality. It is a statement of worth and value. What that is not is a stament argueing why an improperly mounted HIDs are bad, which is what you are now trying to argue.

"Among the reasons that European standards mandate self-leveling HID systems while U.S. standards don't may be the different philosophies that guide lighting system design. According to Michael Flannagan, a senior scientist at the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Institute, European regulators' concern over glare contrasts with U.S. regulators' emphasis on maximizing vision. For many decades, low beam patterns have been different between the two regions, he said."

Pay closer attention to how the article explains "auto-leveling". The first European made vehicles that were manufactured with HID technology didn't have this. Now all of a sudden, they feel the need to revise the design so that they do. Hmm, wonder why?
you also failed mention that 'each region has thier own beam patterns' also. it also fail to mention that Europen imports dont have to have leveling in thier US models, as its not required.

I'm not sure where you live but I know I have to have my car inspected every year. so its simple to regulate from that aspect. plus its simple to say if you sell these kits they have to provide the autoleveling, cut off, and correct aiming. they regulated the kits out of existance, its just as easy to regulate them in by allowing mfrs to sell kits that have the correct equipment, and be brand specific. Why would you buy a bmw kit when you can buy an fbody kit?

If you want to argue the bad effects of hid do it, and do it with facts and evidince. but making blanket statements like 'HIDs bad dont buy cause they suck' dont educate because they are not backed by fact. My argument has not been towards wether HID are bad or not. just that they could be sold in manner that is safer to everyone, while being regulated.

I for one would buy a kit that had the proper cutoffs if it were availbe, or I would make one if I could find somesort of meaning ful info about cutoff specs. I bet that alot of people would do the same if theyhad that info.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've regurgitated the "quality" issue to the point of being redundant, and it's obvious that you're just not getting the point, so I'm done discussing that.

All I have left to say is this:

Originally Posted by John -- '02HAWK
I for one would buy a kit that had the proper cutoffs if it were availbe
Bingo! We have a winner! You just summed up the whole point of this discussion right there. It's NOT available. And there are too many people who either aren't up to speed on or just don't care about the proper use of HID technology. Most people think that all that's required to get the same lighting effect that a Mercedes or a BMW has is to just run down to Autozone and pick up a pack of 9006 bulbs.

What this all boils down to, (which is a sad commentary about the attitude of people in general in our society), is that despite the number of complaints from people being blinded and feeling that their driving safety is being compromised, the only reason people persist in buying and promoting this pseudo-HID stuff is basically because they have zero consideration for anyone other than themselves.

"As long as I can see better, f*ck what it does to you."
Old 09-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

so get to cracking on getting us some info on cutoffs and leveling. instead of complaining about it now.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this worthless thread.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know some of you guys were wondering about what are the best prices, or what parts you need for a complete "kit-like" install. Well I did a bunch of research and was able to source all of the needed parts at the best prices I could find.

Complete Bosch Xenon D2S HID Projector Package: $369.99 from http://www.hidplanet.com/package.html
(2) Bosch Projectors
(2) Hella/Philips LVQ-212 G3 Ballasts
(2) D2S HID Bulbs
(2) Ballast Covers/mounts
(2) Ballast connectors
** They list 4100K color bulbs with their kit and I'm not sure if they can supply other temps, they'll need an e-mail sent their way.

Upgraded wiring harness: $55.00 from http://www.hidplace.com/harness.html

Personally, I'll be installing a 6000K kit as per VVS6's directions in the spring with a more complete write-up and directions (including tons of pictures), so stay tuned.

Hopefully this will restore the thread from retarded and useless to usefull.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

sweet good job wish I had the money
Old 10-13-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IrateTA - You have definitely brought usefullness to this thread!! I'm going to have to try to get the funds together for this project. Those HID lights are just damn awesome... When I see them on the highway, I'm drawn to them like deer!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK
so get to cracking on getting us some info on cutoffs and leveling. instead of complaining about it now.
Here you go:
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-aiming.htm
Heck, check out all the great links at this site.
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-17-2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

glad to see the information exists so now thier shouldnt be any complaining
Old 10-18-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know some people don't like HID, have you considered upgrading to projectors and then using a regular bulb like Silverstars? You get a great beam pattern as well as more light on the road compared to the stock lights. You save the $300 or so for HID bulbs and ballasts and Hella makes a sealed projector ready to be mounted into the stock headlight holes for about $65ea.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I for one appreciate the comments TheS&F makes. Thanks.

I've had people flash high's at me several times since I put Silverstars in the Camaro. However, I have never once had any flashes since I put aftermarket HID lights in the Mazda3. AFAI the M3 reflectors were developed for European glare requirements. Cut-off is unreal. Whereas the Camaro has more glare and coupled with a "whiter" light, some drivers assume they are HID's aimed too high. Funny stuff.

Has anyone else considered mounting the Hella small projectors in place of the foglights instead of cutting up the headlight housing?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Has anyone else considered mounting the Hella small projectors in place of the foglights instead of cutting up the headlight housing?
There are minimun height requirements for low beam headlights, plus the low height would create a really poor view of the road. That's 2 good reasons to not use the fog light holes exclusively.

Quick Reply: [HID PLANET]Think again before gettin a HID "kit"