Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help removing seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help removing seat covers

I need to get the leather off my front seats (01' SS), I'm having them embroidered .
Anyone done this or know where I can find info on how to remove them ?
any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

-nick
Old 09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Here ya go. Replaced my seat covers in my garage a couple of years ago, it's not hard. I'm assuming you only want to remove the seat backs off of the front seat correct? Here goes:

1. Using a phillips head screw driver, unscrew the seatbelt bracket from the headrest (two screws).

2. Next, you need to pry off that little lever on the lower backside of the seat. It's the lever that you lift to bring the seat back forward that DOESN'T change the seatbacks position. Just pop that sucker off. It will seem tough to remove at first, buy you probably won't break it.

3. With the seat back as far forward as possible (meaning the head rest is close to touching the steering wheel) find the seam at the bottom of the seat back. This seem is where two plastic pieces fold together. It's very difficult for me to explain what this looks like. When you find the seam at the bottom of the seatback you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Just pull on the edges of the seam to separate the plastic guides.

4. Lay the seat back in it's normal position again. Evenly pull up on the seat cover from the bottom and work your way up. There is some heavy duty velcro holding the seat cover to the foam padding, so you'll have to pull pretty hard. I stuck my hand between the seat cover and the padding and loosened up the velcro some first. This made removing the seat cover easier. To picture how you should be pulling the seat cover off, think about how a stripper might remove her top. Starting at the bottom and pulling her arms over her head. When her top is off it'll be inside-out right? This is what your seat cover will look like when it's removed.

Hope this helps. It's really much easier than how I described. Once you start into it you'll understand my instructions better.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Who's doing the embroidery?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive heard using a blow dryer and getting some heat on the leather helps it along as well. It helped on my headrests when i took them off.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it !!
Grant who goes by "BlackHawk131" is doing the embroidery.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/219242-custom-embroidery-headrest.html
I've been working on a design with him for the SS and it's finally done, here's what it looks like:

this will be going on my Navy blue met. 01 SS.

thanks again for the help
Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks awesome. BTW IIRC I thought the bottom of the upper front seat covers had a zipper at the bottom and the bottoms(where you sit) had the clips like you described. Like I said it has been a few months since I did mine.

Chris
Old 09-20-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
That looks awesome. BTW IIRC I thought the bottom of the upper front seat covers had a zipper at the bottom and the bottoms(where you sit) had the clips like you described. Like I said it has been a few months since I did mine.

Chris
I dont remeber exactly. I know the seat covers I have now have the zipper. Im almost positive the stock covers had the plastic clips.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

It not really that hard. I work with a guy down at work that does cloth to leather conversions for the dealership I work for. Just take it slow and becarful. Good luck
Old 09-20-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Here ya go. Replaced my seat covers in my garage a couple of years ago, it's not hard. I'm assuming you only want to remove the seat backs off of the front seat correct? Here goes:

1. Using a phillips head screw driver, unscrew the seatbelt bracket from the headrest (two screws).

2. Next, you need to pry off that little lever on the lower backside of the seat. It's the lever that you lift to bring the seat back forward that DOESN'T change the seatbacks position. Just pop that sucker off. It will seem tough to remove at first, buy you probably won't break it.

3. With the seat back as far forward as possible (meaning the head rest is close to touching the steering wheel) find the seam at the bottom of the seat back. This seem is where two plastic pieces fold together. It's very difficult for me to explain what this looks like. When you find the seam at the bottom of the seatback you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Just pull on the edges of the seam to separate the plastic guides.

4. Lay the seat back in it's normal position again. Evenly pull up on the seat cover from the bottom and work your way up. There is some heavy duty velcro holding the seat cover to the foam padding, so you'll have to pull pretty hard. I stuck my hand between the seat cover and the padding and loosened up the velcro some first. This made removing the seat cover easier. To picture how you should be pulling the seat cover off, think about how a stripper might remove her top. Starting at the bottom and pulling her arms over her head. When her top is off it'll be inside-out right? This is what your seat cover will look like when it's removed.

Hope this helps. It's really much easier than how I described. Once you start into it you'll understand my instructions better.
Good instructions, but if you have t-tops take them off makes removale of seat covers easier.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

guys thanks for the help. They came off pretty easily, with the exception of cutting my finger trying to pull one of the seat lever handles off-lol.
Having the T-tops off helped alot too.
Covers went out to Grant this morning, I'll post pictures when I get them back.
thanks again guys.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

No problem. Can't wait to see some pics. You're lucky you didn't have to take the bottom covers off. The seat rails are sharp as a *****. I cut myself a whole bunch of times changing my covers.

Quick Reply: Need help removing seat covers