Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

CME question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CME question?

My question is simple in a way I guess? I have a 98 Camaro Z28 and am looking to purchase the CME exhaust (original) not the SLP quad but, in the SLP catalog under the SS restoration they have the original SS dual CME. Now my question is that I have a Loud Mouth and was curious if that would fit with the original SS cme or since I have a loud mouth am I restricted to buying their version the quad cme??? I know the price on their version is $350 and the original is $875. That doest not bother me as long as it will fit. Because anyone that has gone to the SLP site in the picture with the original SS cme (dual) they show a stock muffler and thats what made me curious as to wether or not it would work with the loud mouth resonator or would you have to buy their Power flow "dual/dual" muffler or even their SS replacment muffler or will the LM resonator work??? Because if I remeber correctly some of SS in 2002 came with the option of a loud mouth and dual cme exhaust right???
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

The dual CME Is doable with no problem. Any muffler shop will do the swap for you.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

So for clarification purposes you are saying that even with my loud mouth resonator I can buy the original SS cme (dual) not their version but the original and it will hook up perfectly with my LM???
Old 10-20-2005, 11:31 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by The Golden One
So for clarification purposes you are saying that even with my loud mouth resonator I can buy the original SS cme (dual) not their version but the original and it will hook up perfectly with my LM???
No it will not work together (Loudmouth and CME cat-back).
It would have to be one or the other. I have Loudmouth and where the "up-and-over" part right after the axle the Loudmouth Y's out again. The CME and Dual-Dual will turn into the muffler where the muffler Y's it back out again.
Now if they sold a kit where before the Loudmouth tips the CME can be added then sure. But its either a Loudmouth cat-back, or a CME cat-back.

How about to post some links from SLP to make your point more clear?

...and no, the SS nor the Firehawk had the option for a Loudmouth. You might be thinking of the SLP Dual-Dual cat-back option. Which has the same tips as the Loudmouth but not polished at all.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...K&BIG=10757K-1
So your saying that I would need the muffler because where the muffler is my resonator is and you saying that wont work with the original SS cme???
Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I originally had slp dual/dual.
My hubby hooked me up with with slp CME with a loudmouth. (I'm also talking the dual cme and not quad)
I eventually replaced the loudmouth part because it resignated too much and was rattling my car apart..LOL
Old 10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

So two people are telling me that loud mouth will work with factory SS cme. And one person is telling me no. Teri so you had the original dual SS cme with the loud mouth? And what do you mean by it rattled your car apart? Thanks for the advice though.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:55 AM

Ok, here you go.

The Quad-tip that you don't want can be added to your Loudmouth:

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=30259

Quad Exhaust Kit, 1998-02 Z-28 Camaro; use w/ #31042 (Loudmouth), #31042A, #31043, #31043A

Now the SS optioned one you do want:

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=10757K

That one will not work "with" your Loudmouth, unless you have an "up-and-over" single pipe or a muffler shop can fab you up one.

I'd would say for you to try calling SLP and see if you can get the Quad kit but swap out the tips like the CME has.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Any good exhaust shop can fab up the cme tips/pipe sections to the loud mouth.

All it needs is a little welding.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:01 PM

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...K&BIG=10757K-1
So your saying that I would need the muffler because where the muffler is my resonator is and you saying that wont work with the original SS cme???
No, the muffler on the Loudmouth is the resonator in the "I" pipe and the CME cat-back muffler is near the gas tank not under the car like the Loudmouth is.

It boils down to the exhaust tips. If you want the CME two oval tips SLP does not seem to have a "kit" where you can buy just the two tips, two pipes (right before the tips), and the rear fascia.

Call them and ask them if you can buy the Quad-kit but with the CME tips.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Coy
Any good exhaust shop can fab up the cme tips/pipe sections to the loud mouth.

All it needs is a little welding.
Yup, but you'd need a shop that has a mandrel bender or pre-bent pieces like these from SLP for the CME:

But he would have to buy the CME tips, then buy the rear fascia, and buy those 90 degree bent pieces (or have a muffler shop make them).
There seems to be no "kit" to fit up to the Loudmouth with the CME tips.
I don't blame him about the tips, I don't care to much about the Quad ones.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

As stated there is no kit, but it could be done pretty easily.

Just getting the parts could be a hassle, unless you just buy the full CME kit (facia, exhaust) and ditch the muffler and first bends from the muffler. It would be fabbing it up from there, then you can recoup some of your money from the sale of the muffler.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:17 PM

Here is the breakdown for a non-kit:

CME tips ($259.95):

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=10761

CME pipes before tips ($39.95):

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=10863

CME rear fascia ($159.95) - No Image:

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=10758K

Total = $459.85

Like I said before, call SLP and see if they can sell the kit with CME tips not the Quad tips.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Good stuff. He (cragar) did the running for you. Thats all you need to get the CME w/ loudmouth.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

So basically buying the orginal dual SS cme tips. Than buying the two pipes(sold individually because the link you have posted say left and the other is right) that turn them inward that hook up to the loud mouth correctly and then buying the rear vanlace that you posted. And just to make sure that is the factory SS valance and not their version right??? Also last question if you can go about it that way why do they have it for $850. But I guess I paid that much too with the loud mouth I already have.

Thank you so much for your help but when I purchase it I will speak with them and make sure that, that is the correct way to do it. Even though Im sure you have it correct.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:19 PM

ive seen pics of CME hooked to true duals before pretty badass lookin axhaust if you ask me
Old 10-20-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

might wanna call them, last i heard the wouldnt sell the CME unless u had it on the car from factory. had a few friends run into that problem. just fyi though
Old 10-20-2005, 06:57 PM

And just to make sure that is the factory SS valance and not their version right???
I see what you are saying, the SS kit rear fascia is a 1-piece, and the Quad-kit is a 2-piece rear fascia. I don't see them selling the rear fascia out of the SS kit, there is no part number listed for it.

Also last question if you can go about it that way why do they have it for $850. But I guess I paid that much too with the loud mouth I already have.
The SS kit comes with a muffler, the "Dual-Dual" muffler, thats why is cost soo much. But from the pics the SS kit it lacks the "I" pipe.

Thank you so much for your help but when I purchase it I will speak with them and make sure that, that is the correct way to do it. Even though Im sure you have it correct.
No problem bud.
The only thing is what tips you can get, and what rear fascia.

Originally Posted by 1sicv6
might wanna call them, last i heard the wouldnt sell the CME unless u had it on the car from factory. had a few friends run into that problem. just fyi though
Yes I forgot to mention, if you do not have an SS you might need to get a vin# number from a buddy. They like to sell SS parts only to SS owners. Now as far as to only CME cars, I don't think so but I might be wrong. Usually it's only to guys/gals with SS cars with the right vin#.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol i'll take your SLP CME tips if you're switching em out.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So two people are telling me that loud mouth will work with factory SS cme. And one person is telling me no. Teri so you had the original dual SS cme with the loud mouth? And what do you mean by it rattled your car apart? Thanks for the advice though.
my car vibrated so much it caused many new rattles. I also have a vert so it's already a rattle trap