Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powder coating prices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating prices?

Does this seem reasonable? I have never had anything coated before so I don't know what a fair price would be. This is the first quote I've received.

Email reply from shop:

I was forwarded your request from Pegasus Powder Coating, I can coat your wheels any color you like.The prices depend on the size and condition of the wheels.
I charge $325.00 (SET OF 4)wheels up to 17"
I charge $350.00 (SET OF 4)wheels 18" and over.
I would have to strip the factory coatings (clear and the grey)before I could begin coating the preferred color. For this service I charge $100.00 (SET OF 4)
Old 01-18-2006, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So is it the $325 or $350 amount plus the $100 or is that included in the prices?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

well I paid more than that to have my wheels powder coated... with that extra $100 it would bring the price up just over what I paid but not much more.

If they do good work then I think it would be worth it. Remember you get what you pay for
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

dont powdercoat your wheels. you get better results from base/clear. have a body shop quote you painting them whatever color you want.

when i tell my friends that im hooking them up with $200 for 4 wheels they give me crap because they think its a lot of money... but $50 a wheel is a steal. if you have anymore powdercoating questions pm me
Old 01-18-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you say that you get better results from a paint? I couldn't be more happy with my wheels and they are holding up great.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Yowza! That is expensive.

Powdercoat>Paint.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cop Car
dont powdercoat your wheels. you get better results from base/clear. have a body shop quote you painting them whatever color you want.

i know you work for a powder coater so i believe you, but what are you basing this opinion on? looks or durability or both?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

i painted some 98 5 spoke camaro wheels for my car and had them on there for a while, took them off my car, put them on my brothers car, put them back on my car, now they are on a diffrent car again and they look great after about 6 months, still look the same. i powdercoated matte black SS wheels, they were on my car for a month, i took them on and off twice and they chipped soooo easy, if you missed where the wrench goes inside it would make a big nasty chip in the coating becuase the coating didnt give at all, where as the base/clear wheels gave and didnt chip. the powder also turned out really orangepeally and i didnt like it all that much, luckly i sold them and got my money back.

if the paint is good enough for your car, and for the nose of your car its good enough for wheels. powdercoating chips easily and dosent have the same shine as base/clear paint. ive also done gloss black wheels powdercoated, they got tiny little scratches on them SOOOOO easily.

lets just put it this way, im getting ready to paint a set of wheels, i could powdercoat them for free, or i could pay ~$100 in materials for wet coat... im spending $100 rather than having sub par results from powder.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:21 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

WOW, I alway though powdercoating was stronger than paint. Maybe it was just crappy prep? Or that they just didn't do a good job on yours since its free? I just cant belive that because it would be cheaper to paint parts, so why do so many companies powdercoat? Anyone else have info on this (not to say you dont know what your talking about Cop car, but just would like a second opinion)?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Wow. I definitely thought the powder would be more durable which is why I was going that direction. Any opinion's from people with powder experience on wheels would be appreciated. I want them to last and not start looking nasty 6 months later.

Thanks for the info guys...
Old 01-18-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

I do powder coating at my shop and powdercoating is SO VERY MUCH stronger than base coat clear coat paint.That is also a good price on the powder coating. Powder coating is way more durable. You can bend metal with powder coat a good bit before it will crack. Base coat clear coat cracks instantly. Also my dad is a professional auto painter and bodyman and he even does powder coating. The reson peolpe paint with base coat clear coat is price and more choice in colors. Hope this helps. Go with powder coating. If anyone doesn't think so Call HRE and Iforged and expensivce high end wheel and ask them what they put on there $1300.00 a peice wheels with no tires and they will tell you powdercoat.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I've gotta go with 00Turbo on this one. Powder coating is much stronger than liquid paint IF the surface if prepped correctly. Chipping powder can be from lack of good prep and under curing....the scratches in the glossy powder coating is definitely from under curing. Not to say YOU did crappy prep work Cop...I'm just saying those are typically reasons why powder coating can fail.

And for the price....even with the extra $100 it is a good price. Go with the powder coating for sure. As far as color choices go, there are more and more powder colors all the time.

-Kevin
Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I had my wheels painted by a customization shop. They are black and very glossy and nice looking. I have had them a couple of months and have noticed a couple of small chips. I also had powdercoated wheels on my last car. they were just as glossy to the naked eye and I never noticed a single chip. I paid $350 for the painted wheels and about $250 for the powdercoat. The painted are 17'' and the powdercoated were 16''.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Had my 17" wheels sandblasted, base powder and clear powder. They held up great during a winter season. Sold them to somebody local and I think he's still running them. Never had any chips or scratches in them. Paid $300 to a reputable shop. His prices were VERY competitive compared to some others I had recieved.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My friend had his wheels painted with regular car paint and clear coat and they don't look good at all anymore. I would definitely say that it would be better to have the wheels powdercoated.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

My wheels haven't chipped and I've had them for almost a year and I daily drive my car. The shop that powder coated my wheels masked off the area where the lugs are at so that the powder coat wouldn't chip. I've done enough to the wheels and dropped the lugs on them (by accedent) and they haven't chipped. I even lost a bolt to my caliper and it didn't chip the paint when the caliper rubbed on the inside of the wheel. Yeah it messed up the finish some but if it were paint it would have chipped off. Also my wheels don't have any orange peel. They are nice and smooth.

If the coating chips off easy then the surface must not have been preped correctly. Fact is Powder coating is a lot better than painting. Paint chips off my front bumper. so I don't see why I would want that for my wheels
Old 01-19-2006, 11:33 AM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

Thanks guys, thats what I thought.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If powder coat wasn't strong or glossy, BMW would be painting their $90k M-5 and not powder coating it. It does have a tad more orange pill, but not much.

Quick Reply: Powder coating prices?