No, the VIN still doesn't say SS, so it's a z28
82.34%
Voters: 555. You may not vote on this poll

Throwing SS Badges on a Z28, wrong or right

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, if you have stuff then you can have the badges. Beats the hell outta dumping an extra $6K on a car. Or at least that's what the first owner of my car paid for the hawk package. I wouldn't have IMO, but I got mine cheaper than I could a WS6.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its funny how a bunch of you are saying no to someone modifying there ride when yours is not 100% stock anymore anyway. Firehawks dont come from SLP with fully polished engines.
If someome can get a Z28 for $6000 and ad $3000 to make himself an SS vs. paying $13,000 for a "real" one, good for him. just dont sell it as a real one.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its no worse then the big type R badges I put on my car.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing if you do attempt to sell an SLP car that is fake, SLP will go after you. Or so I've heard anyways. I think it's stupid IMO cause you're paying them for their crap anyways, they're just not getting installation fees.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRANSAM75
Who Cares, Its Your Car Do What You Want. The Vin Tells The Truth When Its Time To Sell.
Actually, nothing in the VIN indicates whether it's an SS or not.

The SS package is indicated on a sticker applied by SLP in the door jamb.

What's wrong with a Z28 with SS hood and spoiler? No need to rebadge it. If you do rebadge it, it's a matter of integrity not to sell it as an originally equipped SS car.

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Another thing if you do attempt to sell an SLP car that is fake, SLP will go after you. Or so I've heard anyways. I think it's stupid IMO cause you're paying them for their crap anyways, they're just not getting installation fees.
Myth. Not even close. They will not and have not gone after anyone on this issue.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

I have a true ws6 i don't care if a firbird redoes their car and rebadges, most often its upgraded better then the ws6 package anyway, but i also like the idea of the ws7 badges, maybe someone can comeup with a badge for the z28 convert to ss? now I would have a problem if someone with a v6 just rebadged to an ss.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew that as far as I had been able to find out there was nothing in the VIN's of firebirds that indicates anything but engine size as to a clue of what level car it is. Whether it is formula, trans am, WS6 or Firehawk. Now, I bet that ASC & SLP has a list somewhere on some old server or in a desk drawer , but I don't think your average joe can run a VIN and automatically know how that car started life. Unless things changed VIN wise on the 98+ cars. Sometimes its better if WYSIWYG.

*Edit: I almost forgot... option codes inside the car will tell you for sure on some models (WS6)*

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
Actually, nothing in the VIN indicates whether it's an SS or not.

The SS package is indicated on a sticker applied by SLP in the door jamb.

What's wrong with a Z28 with SS hood and spoiler? No need to rebadge it. If you do rebadge it, it's a matter of integrity not to sell it as an originally equipped SS car.

Myth. Not even close. They will not and have not gone after anyone on this issue.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess everyone will be posting door jam and glove box option code shots now
Old 01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
FALSE! I definitely believe they will go after you! They threatened to go after me for blanking a $35 Firehawk birth certificate out and sharing it on the Firehawk forum. Hamburger PM'd me and said SLP attorneys were looking into the matter and couldn't comment any further than that.

And I got this even though I support SLP by owning a Hawk!!!! I even have a SLP badge on the back of my car, my HUmount.com says SLP, etc. I'd sold the hawk in a heartbeat if they'd gone further with it and then I'd start a sh*t-storm in the forums about it all so people could see how SLP supports us F-body people since they stopped making them.

You can call SLP with a VIN and they will tell you if it's a real SS or Firehawk. That's what I did before I bought mine to verify it was real.

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 01-19-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRANSAM75
I think its funny how a bunch of you are saying no to someone modifying there ride when yours is not 100% stock anymore anyway. Firehawks dont come from SLP with fully polished engines.
What the hell are you talking about? I've still got a Firehawk

It's not like I'm polishing my engine and saying it's a Z06!?!

You make no sense. Jealous maybe, but not making sense with the quote above. Get lost.

*edit- I get it, you've got a clone *cough, AFAIK* and you're pissed about it right?

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 01-19-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

I personally like the props after pulling up to a 6-spd 02 SS camaro and beating it by half a car length, from a 30 roll. ( which happened at the Camaro reunion last year in Bowling Green). He was surprised. Anyways, everyone is diffrent, don't base the outcome of what your car is going to look like, appearance wise, on everyone here in this site. So in all retrospect, do what makes you happy, your going to be the one driving and admiring it.

1/4: 13.2 @ 106 MPH (w/Loudmouth, and Lid)
Old 01-19-2006, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
FALSE! I definitely believe they will go after you! They threatened to go after me for blanking a $35 Firehawk birth certificate out and sharing it on the Firehawk forum. Hamburger PM'd me and said SLP attorneys were looking into the matter and couldn't comment any further than that.

And I got this even though I support SLP by owning a Hawk!!!! I even have a SLP badge on the back of my car, my HUmount.com says SLP, etc. I'd sold the hawk in a heartbeat if they'd gone further with it and then I'd start a sh*t-storm in the forums about it all so people could see how SLP supports us F-body people since they stopped making them.

You can call SLP with a VIN and they will tell you if it's a real SS or Firehawk. That's what I did before I bought mine to verify it was real.
damn your pretty much screwed....and the ss emblem question says it all in the poll
Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

........Z28=Z28 ....SS=SS ........ any change is posing....
Old 01-19-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steveo346
damn your pretty much screwed....and the ss emblem question says it all in the poll
Well that was 6 months ago and hadn't heard a thing. I stay away from the hawk forum cause if I'm gonna catch that kinda slack from SLP, then there's no reason to support the forum by posting.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

On another note about fake stuff, you CAN make stuff for ONLY yourself. Like my FRC's I made. I drew the logo (as well as SLP) in CAD and cutout the emblem out myself on a vinyl cutter. There is no harm in making something that says anything SLP related for your own car, just can't make profit off it.
And no I wasn't selling blank certificates, just sharing the one I blanked out before making my own. Basically if SLP is losing money cause of something you did or made then they will threaten to go after you (or actually do it).
Old 01-19-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

ok... there is nothing wrong with it... and I say that cause I did it.. I had a 96 Z28 M6 the medium quasar blue one... well we know no SS's *to my knowledge* ever came that color... but anyways.. I put a 96 SS spoiler, Hood, and even the SS stripes on it... and the badges... well I had nothing but great comments on it... they would all tell me they have never seen a SS that color and I would tell them it wasnt one.. they all look at me shocked and are like... WOW I would of never known.... the car is the SAME... people that payed extra for it from the dealer... good for you... stupid but good for you... you have to realize... people that bought a Z28 that wanted a SS... MIGHT not be able to find a SS... or aford it... so gettin a Z28 and making SS.. cool with me.. no probs... BUT!!! when I sold my car... the guy that bought it... I told him this isnt a SS... he said its cool I like the looks of it... Thats enough for me...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

oh and I have pics of that car here if you wanna see http://www.cardomain.com/id/growlnss
Old 01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok my big problem with the argument is that why is everything short of a 3x1inch emblem fine and dandy?

Would a Z28 look more like SS with the hood and spoiler and no emblem, or the emblem and no hood or spoiler?

Doesn't it sort of stand to reason that a hood and spoiler (major appearance changes) are a much bigger attempt at posing?

I just think it boils down to people wanting to feel like they something special. Do something original if you want to feel that way. Don't try to keep other people from making their cars look the way they want to so that you feel a little bit better about your car being exclusive and special. No car is the same anyways after its off the lot.

There are alot of people that restore old cars or build up replicas of old cars 67-69 camaros and firebirds have the model emblems and panels swapped out on them all the time. There is a place here in town that builds replica cobras out of either corvette or mustang donors. It's called unique motorcars. People come from all around to buy these "posers." They have their choice of engine, transmission, wheels you name it. Terry Pendleton bought one. Is this acceptable because they are better than the originals? They certainly don't refrain from badging them as cobras.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Im Not Trying To **** Off Anyone, Im Just Saying His Car, He Can Do What He Wants. Just Dont Sell It As A Real One. And Im Not Saying Your Hawk Isnt Real , Its Just Now A Modified One, Not Stock. And A Note On My Car,it's Technically Not A Clone As Gm Only Made 1 Pre-production Show Car. So Its A Copy Of A Concept. And Im Not Pissed , Cause Ive Got The Only One Like It On The Street And It Looks Very Real.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Putting the emblems on makes you a poser, pure and simple. Its no different than slapping Cobra emblems on your Mustang GT. True, the engines in the Z28 are the same as the SS, but we also share engines with the Corvette. Would it be cool to put Corvette emblems on your Z28 then? Nope.

These cars come off the assembly line with factory RPO codes. These are the identity of the car. You cannot change the identity of a car by simply bolting parts onto it. Yes, SLP converted Z28s to SS's, but they came from GM with the WU8 build code, in order to distinguish them as true SS's. All Camaro SS's also have the Z28 RPO code along with the WU8 SS code.

Yes, you can do whatever you want with your car. But, to most of the true diehard Camaro enthusiasts and collectors, you are just a poser if you display your car for something else that it isn't. Those of you that say the SS "isn't anything special" crack me up since you also are willing to put SS emblems on your Z28. If it isn't special, why do it?

~sigh~ I wish more late model Camaro owners were more proud of the Z28 heritage and history. How hard is it to read a Camaro book or learn online?

Quick Reply: Throwing SS Badges on a Z28, wrong or right