51.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Price Increase on our Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Price Increase on our Cars

1. Do you think with the end of the Trans Am's and Camaros in 02, these cars will eventually increase in resale value with the demand for cheap, good looking, American Muscle cars? Other than the Mustang, the only other ways to go are rice burners, alcohol burners, and expernsive high class sports cars.

Last edited by The Trans Am Kid; 01-21-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

depends on where the car industry goes...

if the Horsepower war continues, our 300+HP V8s will be normal fish in a big HP sea. I wouldn't expect an increase until they become antiques...
Old 01-21-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see if in maybe 10 to 20 years and there is still no firebird. Maybe prices would increase on popular pontiac models.

I can't see them not bringing back the camaro, and they will do their best to have it better than the previous models and probably won't affect prices too much on older ones. Certain cars always increase in value over time.

It's hard to say without knowing the future, but I would be fine with no new models at all lol ...'cause I know I would want to run out and get a new firebird if they were to make new one
Old 01-21-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the cars will hit a plateau soon and then slowly start to creep up. Think about it this way. The LS1 cars are the last of the F body breed and for the most part they have an extremely good platform for anyone to build on. If i was to put my money on what cars to hold on to that will see an increase in future years it would be: Fox body 5.0 mustangs, Grand Nationals, and the LS1 F body's There are other cars out there that i am sure will go up after a while but I am thinking extinct cars that can be had for a good price and tweaked from there. I know that the mustang is not extinct but those little five nothins seem to still be gettin alright dollar and I feel that the reason for this is that there is such a huge following. The F body community also has a huge following and I think that as it grows more and cars start to dry up prices may also increase. However dont plan on this happening for quite sometime since GM made so many of these cars. As long as the economy stays in decent shape and we dont have an major problems with gas I think these cars will increase in value.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

these cars will plateau out around 4k IMO. As great as the 300hp ls1 is, there are BIGGER and faster things out right now... also, as the average joe will start having a harder time aquiring a loan for these cars ( mileage, model year, etc) these will start becoming cash cars vs. financed cars. Most people with 7-8k in there pocket will still go out and put that money down on a newer car.

IMO, they WILL go back up in value...in about 20 years.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd think that 30 years, look at the 86 cars....last i remmeber those werent selling like hot cakes that we make it seem. i'd put money in 30 years instead of 20 years. by then more of these cars would be killed or cut up or something to reduce the numbers....like the 79 camaro's THE most camaro's EVER sold in one year, they are barely starting to bring in decent money...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars will be just like 2nd gen ta's are. Too many made. They won't appreciate much for a long time and then we are talking MAYBE selling for little more then they sold new out the door at the dealership.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about Supra's that have held their value. You could buy one in 96 for 30 grand and drive it for a while and the blue book today will still be close to the original price. Those have an inline 6 and can't have much more horse power than Trans Ams. Though, this could be because of the number of them made and the boom in ricer cars.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Launching!

If the horsepower wars plateau and the new Camaro (*if* they bring it back) is mostly sold in V6 configs, our cars will appreciate, otherwise, it'll be like 2nd gens (as prevsiously stated).

The TAs should start appreciating more than the Camaros, just because GM isn't bringing them back, but not much.

We're already getting "Supra-like" recognition in the scene, though. I've notice a lot more respect and even urban-legend-like awe for my LS1 from the Stickercharged and Rich-Euro-Racerboy crowds, much like the Supra got.

Only time can tell, but I'm not waiting around. I'm gonna drive my TA into the ground and probably turn it into a coffee table, when it falls apart at 100k miles.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Trans Am Kid
What about Supra's that have held their value. You could buy one in 96 for 30 grand and drive it for a while and the blue book today will still be close to the original price. Those have an inline 6 and can't have much more horse power than Trans Ams. Though, this could be because of the number of them made and the boom in ricer cars.
You answered your own question. I'm assuming your talking about a TT Supra. For every Supra I see around here, I see probably 50 F-bodies. This plus the fact that every ricer wants one keeps the price up.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

ya supras are much rarer than f-bodys
Old 01-21-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is like 3 years too late, should be asking this back in 02. Now it's no big deal, if anything the price for 4th gens will go down with the approaching release of the 5th gen camaro.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Im just gonna reply with a simple no The way cars are sky rocketing in HP... not unless it becomes a classic.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

Mark my words: The LS1 Trans-Am will be very collectible even before it becomes an antique.

There are going to be people who WILL pay more than bottomed out prices to snap up a mint WS6 or Firehawk.

No comment on the Camaro though, it has nothing to do with my statement above.

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 01-21-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Launching!

with the new camaro coming out the 4th gen camaros probaly wont hold value, but the T/A and Fourmlas may. I dont plan on selling my car anyways so it doesnt really make a differance to me but i doubt they will be worth anything in the future, kinda like a 5.0 fox body alot made, made fast pretty easy
Old 01-21-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I really don't care because I doubt very much i will ever sell my TA. But my guess is they will increase. Not much but they will be worth something specially to car enthusiasts. Camaros I don't know.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Its gonna get worse before it gets better. I see nice third gens going for good money all the time, they are all almost 20 years old. So I say by 2015 all of our cars will be worth more than they are now.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

By increase what do you mean? What price are you thinking they wil increase to exactly? With the rate things are going there are gonna be minivans running 13 flat off the showroom floor in about 5-10 years, at least that's the way it seems anymore. You might,,MIGHT find someone willing to pay $27k-$30k for a '02 WS6 with no and I mean NO miles on it I'm talking 1k or less, but how many of those are sitting around exactly? As stated above too many cars coming out with too much HP anymore.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The increase may not be related to performance but more to how rare they could become, the fact that they were the last model (if the Firebird keeps to be discontinued), history behind them, having a LS1 (first engine of the LSX family) etc.... You know what could happen?? Maybe 20 years from now a WS6 could be auctioned at the Barret-Johnson "spectacle" for a stupid amount increasing its value!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It will go down a lot before it goes up, escecially with all the new high powered cars coming out.

Quick Reply: Price Increase on our Cars