Old 02-05-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Detailed her again (56K begone)

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Any paintshops in Houston want to take bids on fixing my nose?

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Launching!

looks good man can't go wrong with the big 315's out back.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

looks good Mike...I'm diggin that hardtop
Old 02-05-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RYNO_Z
looks good Mike...I'm diggin that hardtop
Thanks. I just wish it wasn't bubbling in several places...

You know, it's really frustrating. I pride myself in taking care of the car's appearance, and I've got one of the worst bubbling roofs I've ever seen. I tried to talk to a couple dealers about replacing it under the TSB that's out there, but they've both said "No, because you didn't come in for regular maintenance with your Chevy dealer." So because I haven't paid their bloated prices for maintenance, I'm not allowed to take advantage of the fix of a KNOWN problem?

Sorry for the rant. I've just been working on the car for several hours and the bubbles really stand out to me.

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn you texans and your nice weather, lol car looks good though, nothing does it for me like 315s
Old 02-05-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Looks awesome, Mike.

I didn't know you got the wheels/tires...they match mine (minus the 315s).

What was the process and products?
Old 02-05-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Process was pretty much the same as last time:

1) Wash - Black Magic, two buckets (one clean water, one soapy), two wool mitts
2) Clay - ClayMagic with Meguiars QD spray for lube
3) Wash - Meguiar's Gold Class, two buckets, fresh wool mitt
4) Dry - Two large waffle weave MF towels
5) Menzerna Intensive Polish with orange Lake Country pad. Polisher set on 5. Wiped off excess with water and MF towel.
6) Menzerna Final Polish II with white Lake Country pad. Polisher set on 5. Wiped off excess with water and MF towel.
7) Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze with dry black Lake Country pad. Wiped off excess with MF towel.
8) Wiped down the whole car with one more clean MF towel to remove dust and any spots I didn't fully buff out.
9) Menzerna FMJ applied with MF applicator that was prepped with a little Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. This is the ONE thing I've found these applicators to be good for! I have about 10 of them that I get with kits and they rarely get used.
10) Eagle One Wet on the tires applied with an applicator sponge.

Whole process took about 5 hours.

I need to get some more towels. Some of mine have apparently picked up some debris and it's hard as hell to get it out of a MF towel. The drying towels aren't as plush as I would like, either. I think they're part of the reason I'm seeing more swirl marks between my semi-annual details.

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

And before anyone asks:

I didn't use Zaino for a couple reasons. I'm out of ZFX and running low on Z5. I have plenty of the Menzerna sealants in my garage, so I want to use them up before I buy anything else.

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Put some window tint and it will look twice as nice.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

What a beautiful ***! 315's i presume?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car looks snazzy dude!

Got 2 questions for you:

1. How do you like them GSD3's? I am currently running on Yokohama AVS Sports in the same size as yours, and I have no traction whatsoever with those things.

2. Not really a question, just a comment. I had my roof replaced because of the bubbeling problem. Well, 3 years later, it came back. Looks just as shitty, bubbles all along the glue lines, most noticeably the one S shaped one in the middle. I don't know what to do about it, I really don't want to have the roof replaced again, it was a pain last time, and I know it won't be any fun this time either.

So even if you do get it replaced, doesn't mean that it's fixed forever. I have to note that my car is garaged at all times, and that I usually only take it out on weekends, usually at night, so it's not like the sun is beating down on it.

Manny
Old 02-05-2006, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

The car looks great Mike.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looks great
Old 02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

likin' the ZR-1's
Old 02-05-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Brian2006: Yes, those are 315/35/17's on 50mm offset 17x11 ZR-1's. The fronts are 275/45/17's on 17x9.5's.

MannyZ28: I'm REALLY happy with the GSD3's. It's a street-driven only car (for now), and they've been great so far. I had BFG KDW's on my stock rims before I went to the ZR-1's, so these are a little quieter and grip well. I haven't done any hard launches yet (still trying to get the panhard bar and fenders dialed in just right), so I can't say how well the launch.
That's bad news about your roof. I've seen the write-up on how it's supposed to be fixed and it doesn't look like a fun job. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you, or did the Service Manager agree to have GM cover the costs? My car has over 98000 miles on it, so they're REALLY insistent that it's not their problem any more. It was a daily driver that didn't have a garage until about 2 years ago, so she's seen her share of the elements.

Raf: Did those endlinks work out OK?

-Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice! Good job
Old 02-06-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great Mike. I love the 315's out back, they make her look mean as hell. You really need to look into getting some tint though. 20% all the way around should do nicely. I know a great shop here in Houston if you want. Just PM me.
James
Old 02-06-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed the paint issue very early on and had the service writer make a note of it. I am the original owner of the car. When the roof was at the point that the glue was cominng through the paint I had enough and brought it to them. My 3/36000 had expired during that time, but they honored the part that I had complained about it early on in the cars life and agreed with them to just observe it. GM covered everything, it didn't cost me a thing, they were even going to give me a loaner car, but I declined since I have my truck to drive, and I usually just use my car on the weekends. They had never seen this problem before, but when the district manager took a look at it, he mentioned the TSB that just came out on it. At first they were just gonna repaint the roof, but when the body shop manager saw the roof, he told me that repainting it won't fix anything. We went to the Service manager and told him about the situation, and he said that GM said to do whatever it takes to fix it right.

Well, it was fixed for a few years, but then came back as mentioned. It's a damn shame too, coz they did a few extra nice touches for me. They had to take out and reinstall the windshield, and on my car they used the trim that's usually used on convertibles and left the dripedge off, which makes for a real clean look. Also, because the guy that painted the car kept messing up when he was buffing the roof (causing a new buffer burn when fixing another), the roof was buffed 4 times, and when he finally got it right, there was no orange peel left at all, the roof is smooth as glass, looked awesome...till the bubbles came back

How much power does your car make? I have SLP SFC's, BMR LCA's (all poly) and a Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm that's body mounted set at -2 degrees, and I can't hook up for ****. On my way home, my buddy in his S2000 was behind me...so after making a turn onto the street towards my house, I gave it about 3/4 throttle starting out at like 20 mph, it spun and spun till I shifted into 2nd gear...still kept spinning and finally, at around 55 mph it started to hook up....just in time for me to slow down and make my final turn.

I really can't believe how little traction I have with tires that wide, and that expensive, with all those supporting suspension mods done to the car! I mean, my engine has some work done to it...but it's not THAT much, just bolt ons and a small cam.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks friggin sweet per usual.

Quick Reply: Detailed her again (56K begone)