Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone care to take a stab at what's happening in this picture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone care to take a stab at what's happening in this picture?

Any takers?

Opinions?

Guesses?

Violent reactions?

Manny
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drying moisture out of clear corners!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Custom blower for extra horsepower!...^^^^ what he said...either getting rid of condensation or drying a spray of some kind like to smoke out the lense?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Restricted User

Getting ready to put in a homemade HID conversion kit? Sorry, probably long off on that...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was afraid of washing my car after what I read on here about the clear corners. Well, I had to wash it...so I did, carefully.

The result was a bit of a lake inside the damn corner lense. I have become rather proficient in removing headlights, good thing too, coz waiting for that thing to dry out on it's own would have taken days. So I stuffed some paper towels in there to soak up most of it, then get out the old, and I mean OLD Vidal Sassoon, found a good position for it, and let her rip.

Since there was a drop on the bulb, I am guessing that the water came in from the top. The other side was fine...bone dry, no issues there. Good thing too, coz, as of now, I can't remove my headlight there....don't ask...

So what would I use to seal that up a bit better? If I put silicone on that thing that holds the bulb in place and pops into the housing, then I will have one hell of a time opening it up again once the bulb blows.

What did you guys do?

May I add that it's a god damn shame, that us car entusiasts spend their hard earned money on aftermarket parts to make them unique and personalized, or just plain better looking, and as a reward we get **** parts! I am extreeeeeeeeeemely pissed that who ever makes these pieces of **** is incapable of making a housing equal or better than the OEM part! Now I have a bit of dust and some water spots inside the lens....not cool at all!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try some silicone, spreading it with your finger around the seam....some fingernail polish (clear) etc...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
You could try some silicone, spreading it with your finger around the seam....some fingernail polish (clear) etc...

Seam around the whole housing, I mean where the housing meets the lens, or around the housing and where that thing that the bulb attaches to plugs into the housing, coz that's where I am guessing the water came from.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man, we meet again w/ the corners.

Same god damn problem. Only mine done leak when I wash my car or when it rains, because I sealed them. But rather, when its cold out, and hot bulbs put moisture on the inside. I have been trying to find a fix, but I'm totally clueless.

They are siliconed, everything, and nothin doing.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine are so far so good but you got to make sure they are sealed god too
Old 02-08-2006, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

The water comes in from the top where the bulb sockets are. I have seen it time and time again.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

So should I put the silicone sealer on with the socket already in place, or should I put it on the socket where it will make contact with the housing before it put it into the housing? I am worried that if I do it that way, it will be hell to get that thing out of there again when I have to replace a bulb. I am guessing if I put around that area on the outside when the socket is in the housing already, I can scrape it off with a razor when I need to replace the bulb.

Manny
Old 02-08-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

just seal around the edge, the bulbs should seal because they have the little gasket like things that go on the socket of them when you screw them in
Old 02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when I got mine the 1st thing I did was run a pretty healthy bead of silicone around all of the seams and I have not had any problems yet.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zymosis
just seal around the edge, the bulbs should seal because they have the little gasket like things that go on the socket of them when you screw them in
Should yes, but do they? Not very often.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine seemed like it kept getting moisture inside it. Not sure if it was from the heat or a leak but i drilled a small Hole on the backside and outer side of each one and mine never fog up any more or have moisture in them.

It almost seemed like it needed some ventilation. I put the holes on the bottom so if they did puddle up it would drain.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just stumbled upon this, and haven't seen the other thread about the clear corners, so I will search it in a min. But I'm guessing there is a common problem with installing the clear corners? I was going to install some on my car soon, but now I'm not sure. Is it worth it, or are the problems fixable?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, on mine that socket that holds the bulb which goes into the housing is very loose! I remember taking the stockers out, and it was tight as can be. So I think I am gonna start off by putting some silicone around there. Hell I might take the whole thing out again and do what everyone is suggesting and running a bead of silicone around the whole edge.

Any specific brand of silicone I should buy....I am guessing I can get it at a autoparts store. It's just called "clear silicone sealer" right?

Thanks for everyones input so far!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

TheSilverOne,

Thanks man....did you seal around the socket where the bulb goes into the housing as well? If I seal it there with the socket in place already, do you think I can get the silicone off without too much trouble when it comes time to replace the bulb?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Teching In

i have these same problems with my clears...i freaking hate the inventor of them they should die a slow and painful death for making us deal with such garbage....but anyways yeah make sure you seal them up...if you cant find silicon....bazooka gum will do just fine!!!!