Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

proper technique for swirl cutter (tropicare)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper technique for swirl cutter (tropicare)

I saw another thread with a person having the same problem that I do with the swirl cutter. I've washed and clay bared the car so far. Read the directions on the Tropicare swirl cutter and it said to let it dry no longer than 15 minutes....using their polish remover rag and after about 12-14 minutes of letting it dry, paint looks exactly the same...and it is very tough to get a lot of the swirl cutter off!!!! What do I do? Someone help ASAP! Also after I figure out the swirl remover, is it polish the wax? or wax then polish? Oh and BTW the car wash and clay bar are excellent products!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't help you with the Trpoicare-specific questions, as I've never used it. However, I can help you with the order of products.

Swirl Cutter -> Polish -> Wax.

-Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Are you "working" the swirl cutter or are you just applying it and letting it sit?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Are you "working" the swirl cutter or are you just applying it and letting it sit?

The suspense is killing me....which of the two is he supposed to do?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Abrasive polishes don't have magic powers...they don't perform the polishing action solely by being placed on a surface. They need motion/friction/heat to work properly.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah...so that stuff should be applied with a porter cable?

By the way, I drooled over every car you showed on your website man...wish you were in Florida so you could get my swirls out for me. They are not too bad though, 3 coats of Z2 Pro after a thorough claying worked wonders.

What's your opinion about that Mr. Clean car wash stuff? I like the part where you don't have to dry it...and so far it has worked pretty well for me. I just don't know how that stuff is going to react to multiple coats of Zaino on it.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wash my car normally, and use the auto dry gun thingy just for its filter, to use the non-spotting rinse. works great.
olly
Old 02-18-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Ah...so that stuff should be applied with a porter cable?

By the way, I drooled over every car you showed on your website man...wish you were in Florida so you could get my swirls out for me. They are not too bad though, 3 coats of Z2 Pro after a thorough claying worked wonders.

What's your opinion about that Mr. Clean car wash stuff? I like the part where you don't have to dry it...and so far it has worked pretty well for me. I just don't know how that stuff is going to react to multiple coats of Zaino on it.
From my understanding, it can be used by hand or by PC.

Thanks for the compliment

I haven't used the Mr. Clean...usually don't hear great things about it...especially the soap.

Soon, I'm going to be testing and review some real water filtration systems.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

so would applying the swirl cutter with a orbital work? Or should I use some elbow grease and the applicator pad and rub that **** in? I've already polished and waxed it, I've only got a limited amount of time to do this kind of stuff so I just finished everything up. Next time I'll have to do whatever you say!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I could be wrong, but I believe on the sample I have of the Tropicare it says to work in with PC just as with the polish. However, if you've already waxed it, its gonna cut that wax right off. In theory a swirl cutter is gonna be more abrasive than a finish polish. Of course this is all coming of the top of my head and not research, so maybe someone else will chime in also.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

DirtyBird222, The swirl cutter works best with the Porter Cable. By hand it will work you to death if you are doing the entire car. Like ZaneO said it needs to be "worked" in to get rid of the swirls. I was getting ready to PM you to see if you had a chance to try the products. You can call, email or PM me and I can help you with what you need. I have done a small area before by hand, but if your doing the entire car a PC is needed for the best results. After you get the swirl cutter off and the paint clean, its polish then wax. Let me know if you need any of the TC wax. I have it in stock and sample bottles available.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

I've used the wash and the leather cleaner and conditioner and they work great. I had no plans to do anything mechanical to the car this weekend so I decided I would test everything out! Is there something similar to a porter cable that I could use as a alternative? My dad might have one, but I doubt it, I know he has an orbital and some other old school stuff like that!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I use a variable speed PorterCable orbital buffer. I buy all of my pads from Meguiars. I start by going over the car with the swirl remover first (I use 3M). Then I will go to the polishing pad and go over the car with a polish. Finally I go to the finishing pad and do a coat of wax. My car is navy blue metallic and once I finish this pricess you cannot see any swirls even in the sun. It looks great. A lot of work, but worth it.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can i find the pc orbital buffer at?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
where can i find the pc orbital buffer at?
You can find them at Lowe's for ~$100. Pads and accessories are available all over the internet.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I bought mine from one of the local tool supply stores. I think I paid $120. Don't buy one from Meguiars. They charge over $200 for them. This is the best buffer I have ever used. Very light weight. Get the velcro plate and pads from Meguiars. You don't have to unscrew everytime you change out a pad. Makes it a snap.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

I've got a couple orbitals at my parents house...so all I would have to do is buy the proper pads/applicators now? and TomZ your car is f'ing beautiful!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks dude. The photos really don't do it justice. It really turned out nice using this procedure. I think you would be happy too. By the way, the clay before doing anything else is a good move. That **** works great.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Teching In

I'm in the market for a porter cable as well. But I recently found this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623

Wouldn't this do just as well and cost about $100 less?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1999z28_texas
I'm in the market for a porter cable as well. But I recently found this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623

Wouldn't this do just as well and cost about $100 less?
The "sander" part scares me about that one. The Porter Cable is more than worth the money for the job it does. I do understand it is also one more thing to purchase. Do you "need" it, no. Does it make the job easier, very much so. An old school orbital buffer would be better than doing it by hand. PM me for a Porter Cable buffer package.

Quick Reply: proper technique for swirl cutter (tropicare)