Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbon Fiber and Kevlar Shortage? Disc.!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber and Kevlar Shortage? Disc.!

Ok can someone please help me understand this?

Carbon Fiber and Kevlar are composite materials, which means they are engineered and manufactured by us humans. Not a naturally occurring elements such as nickel, lead, ect.
Carbon Fiber and Kevlar have a great demand right now due to the military, which is causing a worldwide shortage of this product. Now according to my economic background (AP Macro Economics in high school, basic Micro, Macroeconomics at FAU and now takign Micro at a CC) when a product has a high demand and low supply the price is usually pretty low, but with Carbon Fiber and Kevlar this is not the case. Prices of these products are still relatively high. And usually with high prices the manufact. only wants to sell a low amount of the product, which also causes a low demand. (please correct me if I'm wrong on this statement, because I'm confusing myself) My whole explanation of supply and demand of this product is this: How can a composite(engineered) material be in such short supply? Is this due to manufacts. not wanting to produce high amounts of this material? Or is the gov't regulating the amount that they can sell to the general public because of their demand for these materials? This is really pissing me off because I want some red/black carbon kevlar sheets!
Please discuss!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

"when a product has a high demand and low supply the price is usually pretty low"

Backwards, when demand goes up so does price, esp. if there is small quantities.

Also, with kevlar and carbon fiber, the price stays fairly constant because regardless that they are synthetic, they are more expensive to produce.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Wink

manufactuers do not make alot of profit on CF and Kevlar...therefore only a few locations produce it. Strong demand and weak supply means HIGH prices. Pay attention in those economics classes
Old 02-28-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

there was a sudden increase in demand for carbon fiber because of its potential in the military. looking at this in the short run, the net output of carbon fiber will stay relativly the same, and because of this and the increase in demand the prices for this product will increase. Now if the military continues to use as much carbon fiber as they are now, over time the general public's demand for the product will persuade the manufacturers to produce a larger quantity of carbon fiber, therefore lowering the price if demand stays relatively the same, but thats looking at it in the long run....
Old 02-28-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

With no change in supply, if:

Demand increases = Price increases

Basic economics.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I work for DuPont and I used to be in the division that makes Kevlar. Kevlar is exclusive to DuPont and we can only make it at one plant. It is very difficult to make and the facility is running at capacity. Demand is high and supply is fixed. Building additional facilities would take a while have would have to be justified on a long term basis.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Banned

thank you for the info! as you can tell it's not my best subject.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
Ok can someone please help me understand this?

Carbon Fiber and Kevlar are composite materials, which means they are engineered and manufactured by us humans. Not a naturally occurring elements such as nickel, lead, ect.
Carbon Fiber and Kevlar have a great demand right now due to the military, which is causing a worldwide shortage of this product. Now according to my economic background (AP Macro Economics in high school, basic Micro, Macroeconomics at FAU and now takign Micro at a CC) when a product has a high demand and low supply the price is usually pretty low, but with Carbon Fiber and Kevlar this is not the case. Prices of these products are still relatively high. And usually with high prices the manufact. only wants to sell a low amount of the product, which also causes a low demand. (please correct me if I'm wrong on this statement, because I'm confusing myself) My whole explanation of supply and demand of this product is this: How can a composite(engineered) material be in such short supply? Is this due to manufacts. not wanting to produce high amounts of this material? Or is the gov't regulating the amount that they can sell to the general public because of their demand for these materials? This is really pissing me off because I want some red/black carbon kevlar sheets!
Please discuss!
How much red/black are you looking for???
Old 03-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

as much as I can find right now. I'm preferably looking for enough to wrap an ABS Plastic Headliner in. But I will take enough to wrap some interior pieces such as the center console, radio/hvac bezel and pieces around the door handle and lock/window buttons!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

but i'll take anything!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

This company has everything you could possibly want and in any quantity. They rock.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Say, I've been wanting to wrap factory items like the lower airbox/radiator support, interior, etc.
If I have a sheet, what do you lay up on top of the fiber... urethane, fiberglass resin? Thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Clear Polyester Surfboard Resin
Old 03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Tech Resident

Sh*t! that stuff isnt cheap!

12"x12"x1/32"- $33.26

I guess its not that much, but if your just useing it for the looks that gets expensive fast.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
I use a Clear Polyester Surfboard Resin
That's what I use too. West Systems is great epoxy but turns yellow eventually.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

Good tips, I'll store that away in memory. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
as much as I can find right now. I'm preferably looking for enough to wrap an ABS Plastic Headliner in. But I will take enough to wrap some interior pieces such as the center console, radio/hvac bezel and pieces around the door handle and lock/window buttons!
Checked inventory and sorry we don't have any extra right now.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

do you have any other types of CF?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber and Kevlar Shortage? Disc.!