Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turn Signal Bulb Keeps Blowing Out, Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Bulb Keeps Blowing Out, Help!!

My left front turn signal went out like, 3 weeks ago, so I replaced it. Today, I go to put my left turn signal on, and its out again. I live in NJ so we get a lot of rain and cold temps..what is the problem..please help..
Old 03-03-2006, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Wow, im glad it's not just me. Im curious on a fix also.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems that it happens after hard rain. Is it condensation getting in the bulb?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nikeair042
It seems that it happens after hard rain. Is it condensation getting in the bulb?
Yes, it's a common problem with our 'birds. When one of my sockets went bad, I made the mistake of buying the socket from my local GM Dealer. At the time, GM was the only place making the DRL socket for our cars. I called every place under the sun looking for one, and no one else carried it. I shelled out $61.00 for a stupid light socket If you don't mind waiting a few weeks for them to ship you your parts, you can try the non-sponsor site that is mentioned in at least one of the links I've posted below. I've used them a few times before because of their cheap prices, but they're rather slow to ship stuff.

Search is your friend ....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=drl
Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Good stuff y2k!

I still think this problem is a bit weird. It seems most people are consistently having problems with the passenger side. In the course of 5 years that i've owned my car, ive replaced both sockets. Yet my passenger side just recently started blowing bulbs again. The socket looks pretty fried. My car hasnt been a DD in over 2 years, and sees no wet weather.

Anyhow i think im just going to order new housings and sockets. Does any body know the part number for the housings? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after changing my bulb 3 times i tried putting some bulb grease on before i put the new one in and its going strong 6 months later
Old 03-03-2006, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

hmm same prob here with the passenger side .. all i can say is make sure the bulb has been sitting before you touch it.. that **** is hot!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That happens to me a lot, i hate those lights.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM is retarded...
Old 03-04-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so I need to buy a new socket? how much do those run, and can you install it yourself? It's so damn hard to fit your hand where the turn signal is. Any easier way?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:18 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

GM part #12159662
Old 03-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Banned

same exact problem, replaced two bulbs today! One worked for the drive to the auto parts store, on the way back it went out. The other one worked on my way to Tampa for my friends Muay Thai fight, went out on the way back!!!!! WTF. I'm gonna convert to all LED brake lights and flashers!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed that my driver side one would go out when I first got the car and went through a touchless car wash. I solved the problem though....only I wash my car now
Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Teching In

I have the problem with the driver's side. The last time I took the bulb out I checked the numbers in the catalog and it was the wrong bulb. I don't know when it got in there maybe the dealer put it in when it was serviced one time but when it blew I used it for the number and bought the same one and had the wrong one again. The correct one is 3157 and a 3155 was in there. They don't look any different and I don't know what is different about them, but I was thinking that might have been part of the problem. I also had bought cheap chinese bulbs and this time I bought Sylvania brand which cost about 5 times more. It seems to be holding up although I haven't been driving the car too much since it's winter. I also try not to use it too much, just flash the light a couple times to give everyone the idea!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have replaced both sockets since I bought my car. The passenger's side has been fine, but the driver's side bulb recently starting exploding every time it rains. The lens looks cracked but feels smooth. It also appears to collect a good amount of condensation. I'm probably going to replace the housing on both sides with new ones and for good measure, coat the outside with some RTV prior to installation. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its such a pain in the *** to get to. Does anyone have an easy way of getting to the bulb besides jamming your hand in the opening?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

When I got my car last summer my housings were cracked and faded and hardly showing any light so I replaced them with new GM housings and they looked great. I went with the amber colored (I think) 3157 from O'Reileys and they are still running great.

I opened up the bottom of the car (screws hold in the plastic "flaps"), took the plastic headlight cover off, stuck one hand through the top and one through the bottom. It was really damn awkward but I was able to get the best angle that way...and you can't really see what you are doing, you gotta go by "feel".

Now I need to work on my crapped out taillights...our lights may suck, but at least we have an engine to be proud of...

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Bulb Keeps Blowing Out, Help!!