Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

removing key hole in back

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing key hole in back

does anyone know how to remove the hatch key hole in back?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fill in the panel with bondo?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

hole is too large to simply fill in with bondo.. over time it would look like ****..
Old 03-14-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

jb weld? j/k. i would remove the lock cyl., trim the plastic that is dished in so its as flush as it can get, epoxy a piece of plastic to the back of the panel, fill the hole with fiberglass or filler of some kind, sand, paint and voula!! no hole!! btw, i am not a body guy, so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sly_Z_28
does anyone know how to remove the hatch key hole in back?
How do you remove a hole?? Maybe you end up with a black hole!!

Anyways, you could use bodyfiller to fill the hole. I would grind it rough and fill it with either standard bodyfiller or a product like Duraglass(fiberglass filler). Then sand, finish and paint. If you don't have any autobody experience don't try it.

nikeboy313 has a good point. Filler will shrink when thick. I would get it almost perfect and then let it set a couple of weeks or more if you have the time, preferably somewhere hot. If you do not it will shrink back and you will see a lake there.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Banned

weld some metal would be the best way!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
weld some metal would be the best way!
If his car is like mine the hole is in the rear body panel, which is SMC (fiberglass hybrid).
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Teching In

maybe i should reword what i said. Im going to be shaving my car of emblems and such so the Key hole along with the hole its elaving behind will be filled. So you guys kno that layers of bondo will not fill the key hole when its removed.

p.s. about my "removing the key hole"....how do you take off the key hole is what i was askin? sorry
Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sly_Z_28
maybe i should reword what i said. Im going to be shaving my car of emblems and such so the Key hole along with the hole its elaving behind will be filled. So you guys kno that layers of bondo will not fill the key hole when its removed.

p.s. about my "removing the key hole"....how do you take off the key hole is what i was askin? sorry
You can fill it with bondo. Grind it out rough and remove all of the paint so it will stick. Put tape over the back so the bondo does not fall out. Let it dry long enough and it will work.

This has been the hack method for filling rust holes up here in the rust belt for eternity. The only reason it does not last on rust holes is rust never sleeps. No such concerns on a SMC panel.

I filled in my camaro letters on that panel this way(except there were no actual holes). I took my time and they did not shrink back. I should of filled the keyhole too. I have never used it, for all I know my key does not fit??

Anyways I thought it was just funny about removing a hole
Old 03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

obviously clean it well..wax and grease remover blabla..Turn the taillight panel over and lay up some fiberglass behind the hole, I think there is a lip around the hole so you'd want to grind that down from the back of the panel first so it is flat.. After that has cured rough up the plastic surrounding the lock hole on the outside with maybe 60-80 grit and fill the hole level with a QUALITY body filler (like evercoat rage) then sand prime and paint....have beer...ask yourself" what happens when my trunk latch popper thing quits working?"
Old 03-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

what i would do is grind the lip down on the back side of the panel, lay some fiberglass mat down..do the same in the front, and mud it..but thats just me..
Old 03-15-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think if you sanded down the inside and inside edges of the key hole with a rougher grit sand paper, bondo or JB weld would work great, then sand it down flush and have panel prepped and painted. (JB weld might be tough to sand though!)
Old 02-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

I just did this to my panel (still in primer, though).. I dunno how well my method will last through time but it was more of an experiment than anything... I drilled a couple holes into the "cylinder tunner" (dunno what to call it) and then threaded some wire through to act kind of like rebar and give the filler a little something extra to hold onto.. i then left some nice gouges inside the "cylinder tunnel" also to give it better bonding.. then filled it with Evercoat filler (supposably this stuff doesn't crack or shrink.... we'll see).. then just smoothed it out once it cured.. I had to use a tiny amount of spot putty on top to make it perfect.. but it came out lookin real smooth!

Quick Reply: removing key hole in back