Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

detailing advice for new paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Default detailing advice for new paint?

I'm getting my car back from the body shop sometime next week with brand new paint.

Just wondering what I should do to make sure it's taken care of well, cause I want it to last a while.

I heard that I should wait a few weeks before waxing it the first time. Any opinions on this? Also anything else I should do, besides the usual routine (wash, clay, polish, etc.)?

oh, and i plan on using zaino if that makes any difference

Last edited by infinitebird; 03-30-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont wax it for a few months actually.. it will trap the paint when its still trying to cure. ask the bodyshop before you pick it up how long you should wait before waxing to know exactly how long to wait, since they will know how long their specific paint takes to cure etc...
Old 03-30-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I will definitely ask them that. Just seeing what people thought on here about it.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good,just check with the body shop on when you can polish/wax. When your paint is ready, put a good detail (wash,clay,polish/wax) on there and you will be fine.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can put Zaino on the very next day. It lets the paint breath unlike Carnuba based waxes. Go to the Zaino websight and read up.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dal1as
You can put Zaino on the very next day. It lets the paint breath unlike Carnuba based waxes. Go to the Zaino websight and read up.
Really? That's the first time I've heard that. I thought since it was a sealant the paint would still be completely isolated.

I've read through most of their site, but I didn't see anything about applying it to new paint jobs.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

I run a body shop for my father in NE GA and I can say from experience, don't put anything on it for at least a month, im even leary about washing one after we paint one for a week because even though it beads the water up that clear stays soft for a little while, causing some light scratches in the clear.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

some people think zaino is godly i really wouldnt listen to half the stuff on here... ask over on www.autopia.org
Old 03-31-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Camaro477
I run a body shop for my father in NE GA and I can say from experience, don't put anything on it for at least a month, im even leary about washing one after we paint one for a week because even though it beads the water up that clear stays soft for a little while, causing some light scratches in the clear.
Yeah that's what I heard from everyone else, I will let it set a while.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Really? That's the first time I've heard that. I thought since it was a sealant the paint would still be completely isolated.

I've read through most of their site, but I didn't see anything about applying it to new paint jobs.

I can't find where I got that information but you may want to shoot Sal or customer service at zaino bros an email to check. I've had a few parts repainted and applied zaino as soon as I got the car back and had no issues. I researched autopia.org and saw the same thing. The polymers in Zaino allow it to breath unlike carnuba wax that's why outgassing isn't an issue.

Quick Reply: detailing advice for new paint?