Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best chrome wheel cleaner!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best chrome wheel cleaner!!

My wheels are dirty as ****. I am going to use the Mothers chrome polish and a lot of elbow grease on them to get them looking real good, but whats the best spray on/spray off wheel cleaner to use as maintenance?
Also, what do you all think is the best "tire wet" product?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep up with cleaning my chrome, but last time the easiest way for me to get the dull finish off from driving in the rain + brake dust for a month was to use an old wool wash mit (which would never touch my paint evvvvver) and some dish soap. After I rinsed that off I followed through with my generic chrome wheel cleaner from Kragen. Actually I say generic because I don't remember the name but it seems to work very well. It's in a purple squeeze-spray bottle. As for tire dressing the most recent thing I have is black magic tire foam. It says it's supposed to last a long time but it started raining again so I can't tell. Gotta wipe off the excess because it built up about a half inch of foam on top of the tire. Looked glossy but not bright.

If I could go back I would have done the tires before spraying and wiping off the chrome cleaner because the tire dressing overspray made the outer wheel diameter look greasy.

I've always wondered if I could put a thin layer of vaseline on for shine but that would just hold a bunch of dirt and crap. Once this black magic foam can runs low I'll look for a crazy tire shine product. I know they're out there.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Launching!

The turtle wax F21? (clear green bottle) its non acidic (very important to keep chrome from flaking) cheap stuff too. it will cut most of the grime off. then i use the mentioned mothers chrome polish. best tire dress bar none IMO Zaino Z16. leaves a deep black tire without the nasty greasy mess. its can be used on a plastic and rubber trim as well, hope that helped.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the tips and love the Z28SS-best looking F-body EVER
Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about Neverdull?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

The guys at my work use some kinda foaming window cleaner spray?? I looked at em like WTF when they said it but looking at their rims i was like WOW! It brings a whole new meaning to the shine on a chrome rim!
Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
The guys at my work use some kinda foaming window cleaner spray?? I looked at em like WTF when they said it but looking at their rims i was like WOW! It brings a whole new meaning to the shine on a chrome rim!
Stoner's Invisible Glass? yellow spray can.

ammonia free Windex does well for chrome wheels too
Old 04-13-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I use diluted Simple Green or diluted Orange Clean or some **** (orange bottle, orange smell...you get the idea) with Mothers Chrome Polish. Looks great afterwards

As for tire dressing, I just switched over to Meguiars spray vs their Endurance tire gel. The gel was cool, but the shine didnt last nearly as long as I had hoped. It never seemed to last more than a couple days which I hated. The spray, I used about 2-3 weeks ago and the wheels still have a sheen to them (not nearly as deep as it was initially, but it still shines). It comes in a foam too, but I dont care for foam wheel shines.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Mother's Power Ball is the BEST thing for speed and ease, but I think the best metal polish out there is the Heavy Metal stuff. I use the blue on my tips and they came out looking sweet!

Quick Reply: Best chrome wheel cleaner!!