Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Any demand for polished LT1 intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any demand for polished LT1 intakes?

I am going to be polishing my LT1 intake within the next week or so, and I started to think that I can offer my services here as well.

I would be able to do this in 2 different ways:

1). You send me your intake and Ill work on your intake, you'll receive back within 1-3 weeks in the 48 states.
2). You send me an intake, and Ill immediately send you an intake and you'll receive it within 1-3 days in the 48 states.

I guess if you want to purchase one and dont have a core, I guess there would a core charge.

This is just my first idea of this little side project, and nothing has been finalized, especially pricing.

I can ship next day fairly cheap, if desired.

Just wondering if there is a market for such an idea and what you guys think. Any constructive criticizm, good or bad is welcome.

Thanks, Greg
Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is a market. Look at my sig.

There aren't many big fish in the appearance game. Everybody and their uncle does performance stuff though, which makes it hard to compete with big parts houses. I wish you luck on the polishing. ~Joshua
Old 05-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

It would be better if you had say 5 intakes that you got out of junkyards or what ever, then polished them, and sold them for what ever you wanted to make, plus 100 bucks, then when the person got the intake, and sent you theirs, you refunded them 100 bucks core charge.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

check out edelbrocks new intake for the LT1.. its like a stock LT1 but has a built in AIR-Gap.. looks nice.. i think it comes polished
Old 05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
It would be better if you had say 5 intakes that you got out of junkyards or what ever, then polished them, and sold them for what ever you wanted to make, plus 100 bucks, then when the person got the intake, and sent you theirs, you refunded them 100 bucks core charge.
I was toying with that idea as well. Ill see what comes of it.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know this might be a really stupid question, but can you clear coat over polsihed stuff to keep it from rusting, or changing? cause id love to get one but my car is a daily driver so it wouldnt last too long.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, you can clear coat polished aluminum. Ill offer it probably at no cost, but we'll see.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Scrmn I'm more than sure there is a market, but you haven't even shot anyone a ballpark figure. Also if Edelbrock does produce it, that could hurt your chances as well. Since it will be an AirGap, and just for "the terminology" alot will jump on it, and it will probably be a decently priced piece since it'll be mass produced, compared to somethin one off like a polish job on an oem, not to mention alot would want and LT4 if there were still able to get their hands on one....Not that it's any diff, but if you had LT4's polished then that is somewhere that you could make alot of money at since they are hard to come by...
Old 05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Nah, I think people will want to have a nice shiny piece under the hood. I know I do.

Ill do one or two and Ill go from there. At least Ill just have the satisfaction of doing something, I guess.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned

Here's some valuable advice. If you want to polish you need to offer all types of things... not just LT1 intakes. If you want to learn and do a few parts on your own car, cool, but doing this as business is going to take a serious plan.

If you're accustomed to the extensive labor involved in just small projects, you'll really question if a business is what you want.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Its not really a business, but more of a way to do something on the side and make a few bucks that will go directly into my car.

I wont mind polishing other parts, suchs as brackets, or anything for that matter. But I do not know what to charge for the other things. I will not limit myself to intakes only, but thats what Ill be doing to my car so thats the first thing that popped into my head.

If someone wants to send me parts to polish, like an alternator, Ill get that done as well.

I was thinking about expanding, but I think I dont want to get too far ahead of myself.

Quick Reply: Any demand for polished LT1 intakes?