Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Zaino problems....cannot figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zaino problems....cannot figure this out

Ok....my problem is this stuff washes off after just one night of some steady rainfall, no matter how many properly applied coats.

I have gone through several bottles on my old Firehawk, and it was garaged so i assumed it was always adhered properly. Even then,the few times it saw rain, the rain would just blotch and look like there was nothing on the car. More recently, i have been driving my Zaino-pampered F 150 through the elements with absolutely no results. I have it properly mixed with ZFX, i apply by hand up and down, and i always make sure to see that it is totally dried. On my first application, i prepped with ZPC, 2 washes and a claybar and all that good stuff....also out of directg sunlight. At first, it looks great, but soon after its totally gone. I use Z2 Pro with Z6 after im all done. I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT I AM DOING WRONG....im looking all over the forums and people who applied 1 coat like months ago and the water still beads textbook perfect. I like triple checked my directions. Someone please help....im about to give up and use 3M.

P.S.....ever bottle of Z6 has ALWAYS leaked something.....maybe im cursed...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I'm missing something but you are starting with Z1 right? I thought the ZFX was just to make the Zaino dry faster or does it already have the Z1 in it? If your just applying Z2 without starting with Z1 that is your problem most likely. I never used ZFX so I can't speak as an expert on that but my ritual is wash, clay bar, Z1 then Z5 right over the Z1 then multiple costs of Z2.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Maybe I'm missing something but you are starting with Z1 right? I thought the ZFX was just to make the Zaino dry faster or does it already have the Z1 in it? If your just applying Z2 without starting with Z1 that is your problem most likely. I never used ZFX so I can't speak as an expert on that but my ritual is wash, clay bar, Z1 then Z5 right over the Z1 then multiple costs of Z2.
zfx replaces z1.

lol i think you are cursed. where are you located? if there is alot of humidity it will take a long time for the zaino to cure. BUMP for someone to help out.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Launching!

I have the Z1 compound and not ZFX, but it took me a total of three days from start to finish to apply all the layers. Yes I was extremely methodical about it and let things cure over nite before moving on to the next compound.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you stripped the car of old wax?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

yeah made sure the surface was properly prepped.....wax stripped off and polished with Z-PC and a porter Cable w/ lake Country orange pad.

I have never used the Z1, i have always used the ZFX mixture.....

I wish it would work...i know this product is tried and true, and i have never heard of this happening so there has to be a solution. I usually give about 15mins drying time once i have the whole truck coated...i can wipe it with my finger and it comes off perfect....no smearing.

BTW i am in South Jersey and the temps have been almost ideal for applying it.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

BTW SDM1234....youre car's finish look freaking great...i meant to say something when you posted pics last time.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HAWK#549
yeah made sure the surface was properly prepped.....wax stripped off and polished with Z-PC and a porter Cable w/ lake Country orange pad.

I have never used the Z1, i have always used the ZFX mixture.....

I wish it would work...i know this product is tried and true, and i have never heard of this happening so there has to be a solution. I usually give about 15mins drying time once i have the whole truck coated...i can wipe it with my finger and it comes off perfect....no smearing.

BTW i am in South Jersey and the temps have been almost ideal for applying it.
I think 15 minutes for Zaino might be too short. Try 45-60. Anyone else think this could be it?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Might be a stupid question, but did you wash it with Dawn before the first time you applied th Z2? I would think the Z-PC should strip any previous wax off of there as I believe it is an abrasive but perhaps it isn't.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

I do my Z2Pro on Friday night, then buff it off on Saturday morning.

Last edited by Luster; 05-12-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trojan35
I think 15 minutes for Zaino might be too short. Try 45-60. Anyone else think this could be it?

I leave mine on for at least an hour. If it's below 70 I leave it on overnight but again, I do not use ZFX.

You should be putting it on very thin. Just barely able to see it and when it's dry it should wipe off with no pressure. If you find it is tough to get off you either have not left it on long enough or put too much on or both First time I put Zaino on I went way to thick and even over night it was a PITA to get off. It also left nasty streaks.

Maybe you got a bad batch of Zaino? I'm at a loss as it sounds like you're doing it right.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

I would also suggest a longer curing time. Zaino suggests at least 30 mins to let it sit. Personally I do the whole outside of ma car, then while the Zaino is curing I go and clean the inside and work on the wheels real well. Usually 45mins to an hour before I wipe it off and it works just as intended.

Just did that last week. Had sat over the winter outside in the elements. Has about 10-12 total coats on it, just 1 had been done that day. Rained the past 2 days and water was still beading like normal this morning when I left for work.

JasonG
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like you have your answer.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAWK#549
BTW SDM1234....youre car's finish look freaking great...i meant to say something when you posted pics last time.
Thank you! I really appreciate the compliment! I used all Mother's products, from the Clay Bar, to the Advanced Top Coat Gloss. I'm glad you like it!

As for your situation, I'm sorry I can't help more. I would've guessed more prep work, but if you're doing that then I don't know what else the problem could be. Maybe longer curing times would be beneficial.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Your routine sounds just fine (even the 15 min. drying time).

I would give Sal a call and talk it over with him.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Got a couple quik questions not trying to steal your thread man... But where can you get Zaino at? and where can you get a claybar? I looked at adavance and walmart tonight no luck....Didnt try autozone though there selection is better I do know that.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS144
Got a couple quik questions not trying to steal your thread man... But where can you get Zaino at? and where can you get a claybar? I looked at adavance and walmart tonight no luck....Didnt try autozone though there selection is better I do know that.
zainostore.com
Old 05-13-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have got claybars at both autozone and advanced auto....but i have never seen zaino in stores so i guess u have to order it online
Old 05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

isnt it nice that zaino delivers to new jersey? oh wait a minute, thats right, they dont! only way I can get it is for my friend who lived in howell to pick it up and give it to me, but he moved. so, tropi-care it is! thanks zaino for denying new jersey shipping. awesome.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikeair042
isnt it nice that zaino delivers to new jersey? oh wait a minute, thats right, they dont! only way I can get it is for my friend who lived in howell to pick it up and give it to me, but he moved. so, tropi-care it is! thanks zaino for denying new jersey shipping. awesome.
Yea it's freakin' gay. i called Zaino up and asked why and he was being a bitch to me about it. He had an attitude and everything and treated me like some kind of ratard. I would've just had them ship it to my friend's place in PA and bill it to me, but apparently, they don't bill to NJ either. So, after the phone call with Mr. Zaino himself, he's not getting my business, even if I eventually move out of Jersey. I'll stick with good ol' Mother's, who's never done me wrong!

Quick Reply: Zaino problems....cannot figure this out